My First Car

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Harp

Reaction score
Treps thread on teenage drivers got me thinking about my first car so I did a Google search and found some pictures that took me back.

It was a 1959 Fiat 600D very similar to the one in the picture except mine had a dark blue top and light grey body. Mine was also missing the front bumper and chrome because my brother who bought it new in Italy fell out of it and it ran off the road and into a tree. Yes, he fell out of it. Notice the suicide doors? Well, he was driving down the street and the door was rattleing so he opened it so he could slam it and the wind blew the door all the way open with him still holding on. He learned why they call 'em "suicide doors". He evidentally wasn't going that fast because he wasn't hurt and the Fiat just kind of slowly drove itself off the road and into a small tree.

fiat600.jpg

When I first saw it, it had been abandoned on the side of my brothers house since he had bought a new '66' Mustang. The car had various problems from a bad rocker arm to a starter that wouldn't. He gave it to me for my 16th birthday and I worked long hours @ .90 cents per hour bussing tables to pay for getting it running. I did all the work I could like replacing the headlights and getting it cleaned up real good but it took over $100 (a sizable sum in 1966) at the Fiat dealer to get it running.

I drove it my entire sophmore year in high school and was always the center of attention even around hot rod 57 Chevys and 327 Novas. One girl told me "she felt like she was in a forgien film when she rode in it" I don't know how much it weighted but I got accustomed to comeing out of school and finding it on the school steps or one time in the planter in front of the school. The 600cc engine only had around 20 horsepower so top speed was no more than 50 mph downhill with a tail wind. I believe if a cop had ever stopped me for speeding he would have given me an award instead of a ticket.:lol: I guess my favorite memory of that car was a little brass plaque on the dash that said: MIND HEAD WHEN RISING FROM SEAT. I alway thought it came with the car but my brother told me later, that he had stolen from a train in England:rolleyes:. Finally the starter problems and the lack of a heater and many other mechanical problems got the best of me. As you may know Fiat stands for FIX IT AGAIN TONY.;) So I sold it to a guy I worked with and he painted it solid black and turned it into an SCCA racer. I still have a hard time picturing a race in a 20 hp car.

I had two other Fiats, an 1100D that I bought from a Tech Sergent in the Air Force and another 600 that was a retired ice cream truck. That was during my hippie days after the AF. I covered the chartruse ice cream truck paint with about 5 cans of flat black spray paint. That was the car I was driving when I met my wife. She had a hot Olds 442 convertable so that Fiat didn't get much use after we started going together.

Fiat2.jpg

Edit: This isn't me or anybody I know, just a picture I found to show the suicide doors

Sorry about the lenght of this story but I guess if you're still reading you must have found it somewhat interesting.

Harpo

The first car I bought 6 months out of high school was a 70 Torino GT with all the options, it was a trade in to the dealership I was working at, 80,000 ps,pb,ac,bucket seats,rear window slats,hideaway headlights. If I had a scanner I would post a pic. I loved that car but was way to young to understand what I had. I raced it, I wrecked it, I fixed it and did it all again. I wish I was 18 to 21 again.

BF

My first was a 1966 Mustang. It had a 200 6 cyl. and a 3 speed. I got it for $500.00 in 1975 because it had a blown head gasket. My dad and I fixed the head gasket and I drove the thing for three trouble free years. Aahhhh, the memories.:cool::cool:

Just like Bruce F, I didn't realize what I had and traded it for a 1970 pick up. Oh well, live and learn.

Steve

1957 Chevrolet, continental kit and all, for $175.00. It lasted all of three months and then my Dad helped me buy a 1963 Falcon.

Harpo, I drove a Fiat like that except it only had the back and sides left on it and was equipped with a 427 L-88 engine:)

Bill

Harpo! You Geek! :lol:

Oh man..... A fiat 600..... Geez it's been a long time since I've seen one of those.....

I got my first car in 1968, the summer after my Senior year - a red, 1963 VW beetle! A 40 hp powerhouse! Bought it for $600 with money I had saved all during high school working for a veterinarian shoveling sh!# in dog cages! :wacko:

My first was a 1966 Ford F-100 pickup , 3 on the tree, with a 352. I had it painted candy apple red and put white spoke mags on it. She was a beauty...until some drunk girl hit me head on. Luckily I was not hurt but "Joleen" was never the same after that.

My first was a 1972 Chevy Pickup which I inherited when my dad passed away. Nothing special: a stock 350 with 3 on the tree. Darn thing would hang in first gear every time I was on a date! :angry: One really nice thing about it was the bench seat... :rolleyes: I really started appreciating and understanding about hard work and money when I had to buy my first set of tires for it and pay the insurance bill.

Greg Walters at Humminbird

My first was a 1975 Honda Civic 2 door, manual, poop brown. Dad had gone through bankruptcy and bought the car for $500 from a shop we knew who bought wrecks w/bent frames and straightened the frames and restored it. I got it in 1982 at 16 years old with around 120k miles on it. Drove it for 18 months with no problems (GREAT gas mileage but SLOW!!), sold it for $500 and brother and I together bought a '78 2 door Merc Zephyr 2 door 5 speed 4 cylinder.

My first was a '74 GMC van. Only had the driver's seat, so we used to put a lawnchair on the psgr side. That was a big mistake if stopping or taking-off quickly, as the psngr would fold-up with the chair, lol. Eventually added hi-back buckets, carpet, paneling, and some decent tires and rims. Got married and traded it for a Corolla station wagon :( .

1973 Chrysler Newport hardtop (no pillar between the front and rear windows), with a 400 cubic inch V8 and a 4 bbl. AM radio with a cassette (no FM), but a power drivers seat. Dad installed a cruise control unit. When you hit the accelerator to pass somebody on the highway, you could SEE the gas guage dropping. :eek: It was a gift from my parents when I graduated from college.

From the front seat, the hood looked like the deck of the USS Nimitz.

I sold it to my older sister for $5, :pand she had it for a couple of years while she lived the life of a starving artist in Chicago. Hand painted it black with a roller. Then it was vandalized and towed away. I'm sure it's razor blades by now.

I saved my pennies and in 1991 bought a brand-new 1990 Plymouth Laser RS turbo which I kept for eleven years. THAT is a car I wish I still had. :cool:

My dad owned a 1974 Fiat 128 3p hatchback. That was a fun car, but a P.I.T.A. to maintain.

A fire engine red 1975 Chevy Monza Towne Coupe. We pulled the stock 262 v8 and swapped it with a hi-po 327 (salvaged out of a wrecked vette) This pic looks just like mine, but in blue...

CobaltBlue75MonzaTC.jpg

second car was a 1977 Renault LeCar. Talk about culture shock!!!

Craig

My first was a 1957 Chevy (show stopper) It had white tuck and roll leather interior and the shop messed up and painted it pearl pink, it was supposed to be candy apple red, it was the coolest paintjob I had ever seen, but I just couldn't drive it around!!LOL!! Then a 1964 Ford Galaxie 500, turquoise with a 390 Police Interceptor package, then a 1968 Dodge Charger with a 440 Magnum, then a 1973 Firebird Formula 350 (bluprinted), then a 72 Grand Prix, a 75 v8 Jeep Wrangler, an 81 Corvette, a 68 Nash, a 64 pontiac Tempest, a 72 chevy SS 396 complete with cowl induction, 94 Porshe, 75 Triumph Spitfire, and a few that I am forgetting as well as a few motorcycles. I love to drive.:p

TOXIC

Mmmmmmm. 64 Galaxie 500. One of the sweetest looking cars EVER!

Harpo

Yeah, it was MINT also. Still had the plastic on the rear seat when I bought it. Man o man would that rig run!! I have a picture of it somewhere around here.......

TOXIC

A friend of mine in the AF had a 64 Galaxie 500 convertable dark green with black top and black naugahide interior, very slightly raised with Craiger Mags and Uniroyal Tiger Paws with the red stripes. He kept it spotless. One of the nicest cars I've ever ridden in.

Harpo

Latest posts

Back