Compact SI Install

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike M

Reaction score
I put a 596 HD DI up front on the deck. I had a 798ci SI up there and I am moving it to the console. I didn't take advantage of the SI as much as I thought I would. Even on a RAM mount, it was so far away it was difficult to see the detail I wanted (especially since i am over six feet tall). HD Sonar and DI are about all I need up there. And being a recreational fisherman, I can't justify the $$$ for a larger screen. I have a 2001 NX 750. I am mounting the compact SI transducer on the transom step in the back. I don't have a jackplate or any other setback for the motor. Seems like the motor "could" interfere with the SI if the motor is all the way down (tucked under as far as it goes). Not a huge issue because all one would have to do is trim up a little bit and it would be OK. IMO, it's the only option for mounting. Anybody have issues with this install? If you have a boat like mine, where did you mount your compact SI transducer? This site (and BBC) are such great resources that I figured it wouldn't hurt to post before I started drilling holes in my boat.

Thanks in advance........

It depends on what you want the transducer to do. Most that have your hull style mount the SI transducer above the hull bottom and use a shoot-thru 2D transducer for on-plane depth readings.

Connect the two transducers to the display with the AS SIDB Y cable.

Send me a picture of your transom from directly behind and the motor tilted all the way up so I can see all the transom below the motor mount and I'll edit it with a suggested location. Just let me know about the above.

[email protected]

I have a dual-beam in the bottom of the bilge that works. Just haven't bought the cable to split them yet. Was just going to get things up and running first. I already have a switch that will toggle between the one in the bilge and the one on the transom. I used it in the past to toggle between the bilge unit and a stick-on transducer on the back of the hull so I could get temp. I will probably eventually do away with that switch once I get the "Y"cable.

I know where the transducer goes. In the traditional standard location on the step in the hull in the back. It's actually the only place to put it. I'd be doing a jackplate install if I had a jackplate. I was just wondering if anyone with a boat like mine has ever had an issue since these SI transducers are so much bigger than the standard transducers. There are so many guys on here with NX 750's I figured somebody would have input.

Mike

Mike

As long as the motor does not hit it when trimmed all the way down and it is above the hull bottom, you will be OK. That is a very common installation for non-jackplate setups.

If you use the TS2 W or TS3 switch, you need to change the Transducer Select setting each time you change the switch position.

The best location is just below the right or left side motor mount bolts with the transducer hanging below the transom and in front of the step. That will have it protected from impact damage and allow a slightly faster speed for idle scanning. It will be close enough to the motor lower unit that it can "see" past it if you trim out slightly when scanning.

The Compact SI transducer's transom mount is kind of weak for water contact at high speeds.

Similar to this one I marked:

100_03931.jpg

Mike, I am getting ready to do the same thing only I have a Nitro 640LX and I just talked to a lady at Tracker Boats and she is e-mailing me a pix of the location for my boat but what I want to suggest was rather than drill holes in your boat, why not use a mounting block for your transducer? I have used them in the past and have been really satisifed and will use one on this install. I always hate drilling my boat,lol Hope this helps alittle and remember to always use a crooked hook.

Latest posts

Back