coldwater problems? Merc 225 optimax

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake Oleary

Reaction score
I took the boat (225 opti) out this weekend up here for the first time and ran into a bit of an issue. I let the boat warm up for 5-6 minutes after startup. Water temp was 40-43 degrees. Engine would not get on plane - she just couldnt get up past 3800-4000 RPMS. Also when in nuetral if I reved it alarm would kick in after 3000 RPMS. I was by the end of the day able to reproduce the same problem several more times. However near the end of the day I could just get her up to to plane ever so slowly and then once on plane she would climb RPMs to a more normal range. This entire getting on plane however was taking much longer then normal. I wasnt pushing her at TOP at all. I was wondering if the optimax is regulating the engine because of the cold or I have another problem I need to be worrying about?

I'd take it to a certified Merc. Repair Shop and get it checked out. I ran mine 200 OPTI this weekend in 38 degree water and had no problems. I'm still in my break-in period. Possible your thermostat is stuck open which doesn't allow the engine to come up to temperature.:eek:

Jake, Are you still breaking in that motor... or better yet... have you broke in that motor...?

KB

cold water... interestingly enough, i had a friend blow a power head this weekend during a tournament in cold water (low - mid 40's i believe, but i wasn't there.) A mechanic he talked to said that the cold water may have been the reason the power head went. He recommended in water below 45-50 running the boat for the first 5-10 minutes at 4000 rpms or lower.

Has anyone else heard this before? Jake, i hope it wasn't a power head...and Bassin, are you still running your break in like the first hour (3000-4500 RPM's) or are you really working her out now?

David

I just called Bob at marine USA. thinking it may be spark plug issue from winterization - dirt, etc. Going to run it one more time out and see if its improved now. As I said before - towards the end of the day I was finally able to get her on plane and some speed out of her.

BTW - motor was new to last year and I broke it in fully last year.

-Jake
http://www.newenglandbass.com

If the motor "sounds" the same (no clinking/grinding/slapping) then I would say it is a plug issue. Might only be running on 5 and the CPU wont let it rev under heavy load.

I hope its not a power head.

Yes on the 4000 rpms in cold water.....you HAVE to let those (and all) outboards warm up before running it hard.

Mini

Latest posts

Back