CHECK YOUR TRAILER BUNKS!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Nichols

Reaction score
Hey guys-

Posted this on BBC---apologize to anyone whose already seen it---don't want to sound like a broken record, but I just wanted to pass this on--- want to reach as many folks as possible...

was at the ramp the other day and noticed a sag in one of the bunks----pushed on it and it collapsed! Turns out they were all bad. Launched her yesterday in order to replace them---when I pull up out of the water, one of 'em is attacked to one bracket, the other end is floating!!

I'm sure a lot of you guys are more cognizant of this kind of thing than I was---just wanted to remind those who may not have thought to look at theirs lately---TAKE A LOOK! Don't want to see anybody punch brackets through or worse, drop 'er on the pavement.

Side note: ours is a '96 ---old bunks didn't appear to be treated wood ( but they very well may have been---some of you guys on here probably know for sure). I'm fairly new here, but I've picked up on the fact that there are issues with the Nitro trailers. Some of you may have already run into this situation. I wouldn't have thought that a 10 year old boat would have rotten bunks--- which is why a wanted to mention this. There may be other people thinking the same thing. However, if raw wood does exist on some of these trailers, you may be on borrowed time, so to speak. That's why I wanted to urge everybody who hasn't checked lately to do so.

I'm on my third Nitro and in all three cases had to replace the origional bunks after two years. The origionals seem to rot out very quickly.

I replace mine with pressure treated lumber, add a couple coats of Thompsons Water Seal, cover with good carpet, using stainless steel staples. Another little anal thing I do, is to apply silicon sealer to the threads on the lag bolts as I screw them in.

Never had a problem with this fix.

If you got ten years, you did good

Dave-

Thats amazing!! I can't imagine that you could only get 2 years out of 'em. WOW!!

This is our 4th boat, 1st Nitro, and 1st time to ever repace bunks. Got lucky, I guess.

I bought my Nitro brand new. Its in its sixth season and bunks are still ok. I check them frequently when the boats off the trailer. I'll probably make a set this winter so I'm prepared once they show any problems.

Mine lasted 12 years until I launched the boat down in alabama and one of the bunks floated off too. I had to secure it with cable ties until I could get back to KY and replace them. I just replaced the side bunks yesterday. I guess they actually only lasted about 10 years but the carpet probably held the board together the last 2 years. Hutch

I always thought that if I ever keep a boat long enough for the bunks to rot, I'd replace them with composite 2 X 4's. I know that it would cost more up front, but isn't that stuff warrentied not to rot?

Steve

Steve-

I thought the same thing. DO NOT DO IT. We were warned by employees of both Lowes and Home Depot that the composite boards would be a HUGE mistake. The reason is that they are not designed to flex. They would be prone to cracking in this application, particularly in colder weather. They become brittle and will actually shatter.

There is a company that makes a non-wood bunk.....I can't remember the name, but they are pricey. They claim you will never have to replace them and also they are not carpeted. 10 years on a set of boards is awsome. replaced mine last year and it is a 2000 but I think it depends on how often you dunk your boat. Mine is in and out of the water a lot.

TOXIC

on edit.....I think the companys name was "Ultimate Bunkboards".

One Tracker and seven Nitros, never a bunk problem. Just the luck of the Irish, I guess.

my first Tracker, 2000, one bunk board went after 2.5 years, actually it was the hole where the lag screw attached the bunk to the trailer rotted out, less then $25 in total parts/new tools and less then 1 hour total (5 mins at the ramp) and did both with treated lumber.

Trep

You all got me paranoid!! Checked mine today after launching. Both still solid as they day they were made (MY 2002 trailer for PT 175). I'll be sure to keep an eye on them, though!

Thanks all - JC

AHA!!!!

I knew it!! Dewey, you confirmed my suspicion! I had a feeling that was the case, but I wasn't sure. Did everybody catch that? UNTREATED WOOD! Pass it on!

Word up.....

Don't wrap the carpet around the bottom of the boards when you recarpet and pretreat your boards with a couple of coats of waterproofing even if it's treated and it'll last a loooong time...more than the ones that came on your boat originally.

Also...check your fender boards ...mine were 4 years old and gone.

Jeff - its been quite well known that they don't use treated wood, it stinks but its life.

For everyone i'd check the bolts into the bunks periodicaly to ensure there is no rot in there, my suggestion would be to remove one at a time if they are not rotted out, fill the hole with 3m marine silicone and replace the lag bolt, should help them last longer.

Latest posts

Back