Check you tire pressure!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
On my way home from Lake George on Sunday, at 70 mph, I had a total blow out on the trailer. First time for me, I've been really lucky so far given how much and far I trailer annualy. Thank God for spares! Culprit was an underinflated tire. Got too hot ant blew. I was 15 lbs low on the one that wasn't blown. ALSO check the pressure on your spare, that was 20lbs low! I limped the last exit to my father in law's to put air in. I couldn't change the tire since my iron didn't fit, be sure you check that too! LOL My wife had to run and get me a jack and tire iron, I changed it, then limped to my dad in law's like I said. Made for a fun few seconds when she blew though. You should have SEEN the smoke and rubber billowing out! Man, I thought I had done some serious damage. Now I'm off to go find a matching tire for a new spare.

Glad you made it out of that one ok Rob, it could have been a much worse situation. I check the pressure every trip out for that exact reason. last year i had a tire that was loosing air every week and after closer inspection i found a shallow cut in the sidewall on the inside edge of the tire that was causing the leak. Im glad i found it when i did and not the hard way. I carry a small floor jack ( 15 bucks at walmart) and a breaker bar with the correct socket for my trailer lugs. I have never had to use it on the road but its nice to know its there.

Right on Rob. First thing I did on the way home from BPS towing the Tracker was hit PepBoys and pick up a new tire iron (got the T one that has 4 different sizes so it fits the car and the boat.

Since your reminding folks, remember to:

Put the plug in

Attached the lanyard strap and turn the safety switch ON

Bring the key!

Charge the batteries

Check your bunks

Trep

rob, were your tires radial or bias ply tires? i run my radials at about 45 psi. i generally check the pressure and keep it at least 40 psi but 45 being ideal.

bryan

Bryan, do you have the goodyears on your boat? if you do pump them up to 50#, thats whats on the sidewall and from what im told by a tire guy its where they should be run to insure they can carry max capacity.

Rob, Bob and I are sitting here at work wondering if that Bravada will even do 70MPH.. We are betting top end is 52MPH at best.

yes i do have goodyears. i thought i looked at the sidewall and didn't see the pressure. i think it said that the max. psi was 50. they are wearing a little funny on the sides, maybe that is because of the lower pressure. looks like a car front tire that is out of line. i will try 50 psi. and see how that affects the wear.

bryan

Buzz, 70 mph on the speedo...52 GPS. LOL

Gene

Buzz - LOL!!! I was wondering if the he thought to check that when he dragged it cross country!!!

A ranger going 70? had to be on the trailer.....and even then it was a rough ride....lol

Couldnt resist...

Mini

lol mini...i was thinking the exact same thing.

I was thinking maybe the tires were worn/flatted by the heavy WEIGHT of the Ranger and Ego!!! LOL

I had Goodyear Marathons and they are 6 ply. Just ordered a replacement....$100 for a 14" tire. Geeesh. Buzz, that little Bravada can scoot and so can my Ranger Mini. GPS is 68-69 alone with under a full tank. 65-66 full and 2 riders in it. Mac's 520 probably doesn't get that. I honestly did not expect THAT much speed. The last owner had to be a performance freak and had it tweaked. This boat has everything done to it that I would have done. It's a great feeling reeling in 200+ hp boats with a 19' and 175 hp. The ride is fine too. As good or better than a Skeeter! You keep talking smack. I'll still come visit you in the hospital after your first hard run in that Skeeter thru the miracle mile! LOL Paybacks....ain't they a b!+@#!!!

What a coinkydink...I've always feared that happening to me and I too had my 1st blowout on Sunday, doing 55 MPH. Felt like the truck was losing power, looked out the side mirror and couldn't believe the smoke. Goodyear was absolutely shredded. 4/5 of the tread left on the tires and inflated properly, so I'm assuming I must have hit something, although I didn't see anything.

I'm going to take the opportunity to have two new tires put on as well as have the bearings redone. Luckily I was overprepared as usual and I was back on the road in less than 10 minutes. I'll never travel without a floor jack, metal plate (to keep jack from sinking into the pavement) or spare tire(s) again.

Definitely don't skimp on tires or trailer maintenance. On a positive note, 2 of us managed 81 smallies in "fair" fishing conditions as labeled by our local fishing report.

Okay boys and girls.... You can buy battery powered inflation warning devices from JC Whitney Catalog put them in your trailer tires and drive a lot more secure...

On our old boat we blew two tires in one weekend...not to fun..we were running Carlisle tires and the both blew...One on the way up north and the other coming home...go figure..

T.S.

Latest posts

Back