charging batteries

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn kelly

Reaction score
put boat away for winter. how often do you charge batteries through out the winter. i have a

on board charger and optima batteries

Why not leave plugged in all the time? keep them warm, above freezing. just check the water once a month

Shawn,

Some guys leave their batteries plugged in for the trickle charge, but I had a charger go bad and cook my batteries once. My suggestion, make sure the batteries can't freeze, and plug in the charger every month or so to top them off. There shouldn't be any drain on them, but it wouldn't hurt to disconnect the main wiring to ensure nothing is pulling on them if switches get bumped, etc. Just my .02:)

Depends on the charger.

If you have a maintenance mode, you can leave it plugged in. If your charger shuts off when the batteries are fully charged, leave the charger unplugged.

With either charger, if you leave it unplugged, disconnect the charger or it can drain your batteries down.

Don't top off your batteries when you aren't using your boat as you are using cycles and not fishing......and shortening the life of your batteries.

optimas shouldnt need water, they are sealed and you cant add it any way, i had a charger go bad to leaving it on and it melted the plastic on my trolling motor, Why not charge them up and bring them inside, check them ever so often and charge them back up, my optimas really dont drain much

You can do what you want but, I personally do not leave mine plugged in all winter.

The reason being my buddy's barn burned to the ground due to a faulty charger. Not saying that it will happen either.

That being said, I just plug em'in once a week or so to keep them maintained...just a preference. Hell I unplug the coffee pot when I'm done:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back