Champlain BFL, 7/12/03.....OUCH!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
As reported in Rob LaMoy's head, or what's left of it!

Headline: Local angler nearly chokes to death on oversized chunk of crow!

The 7/12 Champlain BFL was both a tourney to remember and forget!

Tho his experience on Lake Champlain in rough water helped Rob LaMoy be one of the fortunate ones that brought his boat back in one piece, his limit did not. In fact for the first time in nearly a decade, the local angler was skunked while his co-angler boated 2 fish. That's right ladies and gents, Lake Champlain in all her splendor made the Miracle Mile look like a puddle run while she tossed around 21 foot bass boats like rag dolls. This tourney saw many co-anglers outfishing their pros while the pros did all they could to control the boats.

O.K., enough of myself in the 3rd person! LOL

That's right, I got shut out on my own water. I was on a topwater bite that disappeared under the 6 foot whitecaps. I spent half of my time running. Normally takes me 5-6 minutes to run to where I was fishing. In that water it took me about 45 minutes. One guy with a Procraft sank his boat at the ramp having nearly snapped his boat in two taking from the seats back off. Once he came off plane the crack opened up and the boat sank right at the ramp in 8 feet of water. Another guy took his windshield off and it hit his co-angler in the face, not pretty. Another guy in a Ranger took the whole rub rail off and a bunch of his gel coat. Poor Mark Kurtzner blew his new efi. Somewhere in the bottom of the inlet of Maquam bay is a 200 efi cowling. So yeah, everyone is good for one bad tourney and this one was mine. Only took 16 lbs to win it. I was so upset with myself I went back out yesterday to prove it was a fluke. It WAS. I boated some nice 4 lbers! Dang it. I didn't execute well on Saturday. Broke off 3 nice fish. Those were the only 3 quality bites I had all day. Did catch 2 non keepers and that's it in a nutshell. I must have took on over 500 gallons of water throughout the day, bilge worked overtime all day. So I WILL be doing better in the LCI and Everstart tourneys coming up.

So go ahead, those of you who have NEVER had a bad tourney, let me have it. That ought to narrow it down to those who haven't fished tourneys! LOL

Oh, and was I ever glad to be in my Ranger, she handled the water like a champ and held up where lesser hulls broke. I did get beat up a little and my neck is killing me today. Even Buzz in a TR 21 said he know knows why Boxers get brain damage! LOL We all took a beating out there. My right leg and neck will be a while recooping!

Well..... I guess I kinda fit the latter..... I've only fished two tourneys in my life - both of them at the NTOWS Rallies. In two tourneys, fishing two blue-bird days, I've only managed to boat one keeper.

In conditions like you had - I wouldn't even look at the ramp much less go near the water. I guess that's what makes you the Pro!

It takes guts to compete in something as fickle as fishing, Rob.

I say Two Thumbs Up to You!

me!

Believe me Scott, if I didn't have an entry fee in, this was NOT the kind of day I would have fished. ALMOST any day on the water beats being home doing the "honey do's", but NOT this day. I would have rather been doing yard work or even shopping with my wife.....well maybe yard work! LOL

Would you like some Ice Cream with your Humble Pie??..HHmmm?? LOL..Welcome to the big leagues!!

Hey Rob...

We just fished the Grand National Walleye Cup State (Illinois) Championship this weekend... Blue bird skies both days... Only problem they had had 10 inches of rain Monday and Tuesday... The lake was up 3 feet over the boat ramps walkways on Thursday... By Sunday it had all drained out of the lake.... The sum total... on Saturday.. some of the best Walleye Anglers in Illinois/Iowa/Indiana... not one legal fish... On Sunday, finally, exactly four teams boated legal fish... 1st place three fish for 3.45 lbs...2nd place one fish at 3.33 lbs... 3rd place (us) one fish at 1.38 lbs and 4th place one fish at .8 lbs... So, you bet buddy... I know and "love" the vagueries of tournament fishing... On any given day the water and fish can beat the heck out of the best... Hang in there... its a fun filled wild ride fishing on days selected by others and set in stone...

It does happen...my first tourny this year..my partner and I get on some good fish...front comes thru and shuts em' down...FISHLESS! It's those really tuff times I need to hone my skills. Mmmmmmm good pie...

TEE

I feel for ya Rob. My weekend wasn't as bad, but prefishing for an upcoming tournament didn't produce much at all. As a matter of fact, the whole weekend didn't produce much, it was tough from Friday to Sunday when we left. I did manage a 5.75 lb hawg and missed his twin, but those are the only fish to speak about. I'm hoping the tournament produces better results for us, otherwise I may keep my entry fee :)

Rob,

Sorry that the tourney didn't turn out as expected, but that's fishing!! I'll keep my eye out for the cowling!!

Bob G.

I will try to find it for him using the camera, but where he lost it is BIG water. I will need him to circle on a map approximately where it blew off and then, MAYBE, with a day or two of combing, I MIGHT stumble across it! LOL

Rob

sorry to hear you had a bad weekend. i was fishing lower champlain this weekend with my club and i didnt fare much better i only got two keepers all weekend. Having never been there before i wasnt sure what to expect, i thought it would fish much like upper champlain where i have been. Boy was i WRONG, my hats off to anyone who can fish in that slop thats down there and do it sucessfully. I have never fished in slop like what was there, i have fished weeds planty but nothing like that. On sat i ran to the crown point bridge and i could only imagine how bad the wind was up north, there were two and three footers down there from the wind.

Well,at least you made it back alive. That is the most important thing. Right? Or is it catching fish? Or the new boat staying in one piece? HHHMMMMMMMMMMM let me think about this.........

Steve

Jim, there ARE big fish down there. But you're right, it takes some adjustments to figure them out. Nothing out of the ordinary though. Flip the edge of those chestnuts and you'll see!

Too bad the weather kicked up so bad.

A good ole skunking is a rude way to get you grounded though huh?

FLW Outdoors should have cancelled the tourney.

Another black mark for them.

Ranger, Nitro, Triton, whatever. Bass boats just are not designed to run in 6 foot waves.

Though if had a choice I'd take that kind of a ride in a Champion.

Latest posts

Back