Carb Blockage

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbie H

Reaction score
I have been recently been experiencing a problem with my 2 stroke 90 HP mercury elpto 2004. Last year it started to surge shortly after getting up on plane. After doing some troubleshooting I had determined that there is a substance that is blocking my carbs :huh:basically its building up at the 90 deg fitting that that feeds the bowls of each carb (three carbs in total). Whatever this stuff is its getting past the inline fuel filter. I assumed that that it may possibly be the fuel filter material breaking down but have ruled this out with a new filter. The blockage material is white and fiberous. Im just wondering if there is anyone out there that has experienced this as well. I have a suspicion that my fibreglass fuel tank may be breaking down possibly with the new ethanol fuel additives. Has anyone ever had this happen or know if fibre glass tanks deteriorate? thanks

Sounds like an ethonal problem to me. It's not the tank (my guess) it's the fuel seperation from untreated fuel. Stabil make a new product that will help with partial retrictions and cleaning.

BF

Thanks for the insight Bruce. I havent used any fuel treatments in the boat. I also use a fair amount of fuel as I live on the water and run the boat often. I will try this product and see if it may help. thanks again

Fiberglass tanks have a problem with ethanol, resins break down and tank failure soon occurs. Your Nitro does not have a fiberglass tank, so no worries there. ALWAYS check for any leaks or fuel smells regardless of tank material as part of your pre-ride check list.

Run an additive to "help" combat this problem, always. I would take a fuel sample and determine if there is anything in your tank. If so, you'll have to clean it out or risk motor problems. :blink:

Yes thanks Bob ... I was mistaken the tank is not fibreglass but some kind of a plastic.. thanks again

Back