Camp Burglary

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob G.

Reaction score
Some of you might remember that my hunting camp was burglarized on Easter Sunday along with one other camp and possibly more. I had video and still pics from a camera that I gave to the Vermont State Police. Through friends and such, I found out that the police released the pics to our local TV stations this past Friday. A few people saw the news and called me. I did a search and found that two local stations had an article and pics on their websites and a southern Vermont newspaper had run the article and posted pics on their website.

Long story short....I got an email last night from the state trooper that was on the case informing me that he had arrested 2 of the 3 people involved. The 2 females were arrested and he is looking for the male.

I'm thinking of beefing up my security plan for my camp because I really hate thieves looking to steal/trash everything I work for!!

Heck yeah! Congrats on the 2/3 (current) arrest ratio. Hope it will be 3/3 very soon! I hate thieves, and I hate hearing that they trashed someones camp for no reason at all. I hope they get hammered, and I hope you get some resolution to this.

I also want to applaud your foresight and planning. You did awesome having those cameras in there!

Congrats!

All the best,

Glenn

Bob - good news! Let's hope it turns into GREAT news (3/3 arrests AND convictions!!). Keep us posted.

Those lowlife wenches will give up their boy-toy accomplice in short order. Mark my words!! PRESS CHARGES, make em' pay!! And get a restitution order.

TOXIC

Good news. I hope the long arm of the law takes care of this "problem", all three of em.

I have a similar story but a different outcome.

A friend has an Uncle that has a "camp"/cabin on an island near Walpole Island on Lake St Clair. It is only accessible by boat (or ice), very primitive and secluded. It is actually in Mitchell's Bay for those in the know.

Anyway his place was broken into every year when he got there in the Spring. All that was ever taken was beer, booze and smokes (if there were any left behind). This went on for 3 years before it dawned on him that when he left the cottage the last time in the fall (after duck hunting) and he was closing it up for the year (winterizing) he would leave a gallon of whiskey, 2 cases of beer and a carton of smokes and leave the door unlocked.

In the past 10 years, he has not had to replace a single lock or fix anything broken in the Spring. The perps (most likely First Nation of Walpole Island Indians) come in and take their bounty and leave the place unscathed. He thinks they actually watch out for it now so no else messes with it.

Just a thought....

Mini,

I would do the same if I thought that's all that would happen. The perps in my case took my booze which I wouldn't care about but they trashed the place looking for stuff. The booze was in plain sight. I'm not sure what they were looking for anyways. The video shows them looking at general hardware stuff tossing everything around. I think they would have done the same if the doors and windows were unlocked. Since winter is over, I have the windows unlatched with the top sections dropped a couple of inches for ventilation. The broken glass was the hardest part of the cleanup.

I would gladly leave booze and smokes for someone to watch my place, but trustworthy people are hard to find. I had an 18' camper at this site for 9 years before the camp was built and that got stolen 4 years ago.

I spoke with the state trooper tonight and he told me that the 2 female perps turned themselves in yesterday. They have no priors and are not giving up any info about the male perp{s}. They have been released and have confessed to 4 burglaries. The male perps probably have priors and the trooper is working hard to bust them. Trooper thinks that there are 4 perps that have burglarized several places in a county wide area.

Wow, I would have bet those girls would have turned on the guys! What do you mean "released" Bob? Were charges filed? Are they out on bond? Are they juveniles?

I hate a darn thief! Sorry Bob.:(:angry:

Uncle Billy

Lowlife's hit my barn last night. Me and the dogs have to have a conversation.

Update:

I attended a deposition with the public defender for one of the female suspects in October. I was asked what I wanted to see happen with the female. I explained that the law says felony burglary is punishable by up to 15 years in jail, so lets start there. Or have the females give up the male suspect and he can sit in jail. I was informed yesterday by the state police that one of the girls finally ratted out the male suspect. The funny thing, he is already sitting in jail in another county for a parole violation. I wondered why it took so long to identify the male suspect, but he was hiding in jail!! It's taken 7 months, but all three suspects are now identified and charged with felony burglary. I thanked the officer for sticking with the case and keeping me informed.

Kudos to the Troopers! Glad you got to see some justice... Think about a simple small claims case against them for the damages... YOU MAY NEVER COLLECT... BUT YOU WILL HASSLE THEM FOR YEARS...

Great ending to a bad story!!! Do like Greg said and keep on 'em until you get the justice you deserve. Whether it's them spending more time in jail or paying for your stuff and the violation of your property, as a victim you should have some say. It's very reassuring to hear how your troopers kept up with the case to the only acceptable resolution. :D

Vermont has a victims advocacy program. Basically, the judge can order the defendants to pay for the losses incurred by the victim when they are found guilty. In my case, my insurance company payed very well for my damages and losses less the $500 deductible. I would be entitled to the $500. I'm asking for the $500, but I doubt if the defendants will pay. They can have that hanging over them forever.

I saw in the court dockets that one of the females was arrested not to long ago for simple assault, which is only punishable by a fine in VT. Then she showed up again in the docket list to appear for "failing to pay fine". Maybe Obama will shift some money from the social programs that support criminals and give it to tax payers/victims like myself!!! :eek:

More than likely Mr. Obama will give the money to the perps so they can pay the fine. Kinda like you paying your self.:wacko:

Good to read this update. There is some justice in the world. Thanks for keeping us posted, Bob.

Good thing you had the camera put in. I guess without that video they never would have been caught. It must be tough watching it seeing someone 'violate your personal space'. Time for justice!

Latest posts

Back