Red Tape!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cass Caldwell2

Reaction score
I bought a boat in Oklahoma from an individual and am trying to register/title it in Louisiana, and I've never been through this much red tape in my life. You'd think I was a terroist trying to become an American citizen...no, that process would be much easier.

Tried to register the trailer. Bill of sale has to be notarized (not out of the normal for many states), so I took that to them, and they said because it's coming from out of state there needs to be a trailer inspection done by the state police. So, I took it to the trooper station and had the inspection done. Went back to the DMV and they told me that since there was a lein that they needed a copy of the loan contract...I'm ready to become a terroist at this point.:angry:

For the boat/motor everything has to be mailed off to the Wildlife and Fishries office in Baton Rouge, there are no local offices in the state so everything has to be mailed. Don't really like sending titles and all of that paperwork around through the mail. Prior to mailing everything to the state you have to go the the parish department of revenue office for them to calculate the taxes owed. They are only open on Tue/Wed by appointment. Then you have to go to the parish tax collectors to pay the taxes if due, then you mail everything off.

I'm in the Air Force and have registered my 4 previous boats in TN becausethat's my home of record and the process was painless.

I feel for anyone else who has to go through this process in LA

Sorry just had to vent, and wife doesn't want to hear it because it's my 5th boat in 8 years...she thinks I have this coming.:D

Cassbass you know as a member of the armed forces the the gooberment knows what best for us all! I feel you're pain. I live in TN and yes it's pretty easy to register. I'm retired Navy so I can relate to rules changing from state to state even for automobiles. California DMV requires appointments also. Either way it's all about paying the man.

Oh and your wife knows what's best for you as well!!! LOL

I feel your pain. Several years ago we moved to La. and you almost had to move mountains to get the car registrations changed, and knowing state and local govts in La I'm sure it hasn't gotten any easier.

I have a10 foot Jon Boat I cannot get registered because I don't have a bill of sale. Someone gave it to my dad and then he gave it to me.

It all sucks sewer water if ya' ask me:angry:

TEE, I wouldn't be surprised if LA made you register blow up rafts for a swimming pool.:wacko:

Tee,

Get someone to make a bill of sale for $10.

Out of state sale requires a notorized bill of sale and police inspection here in Indiana. Our BMV has a bill of sale form on the state website that can be used. All pretty painless for the most part until it's time to write the check. Everything is done at the BMV. Even the VIN inspection if you prefer that over the police. Police charge $5 but the BMV is free.

This is the reason I am still without my own boat and using family, trying to have people supply you with the proper paper work is a big hassel. They do not like me when I show them the state laws. I have had a number of good buys, but the paper work is fubar. I now will not go look unless they have current and up to date papers.

cq

My 2 cents.

Back