Bug spray on fishfinders

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hans Shull

Reaction score
Made a mistake and got bug juice overspray on my fish finder. Left white marks that I can't seem to get off. Anyone know a way to clean this stuff off?

Thanks,

Hans

It usually burns into the plastic. Can't help ya.

What brand is it? Try e-mailing their tech services department, they might be able to help. I assume you've already tried a "mild non-abrasive cleaner and a soft cloth".

Harpo

I used Goo Gone on mine but, it wasn't bug spray. I don't really know what it was...I had some spots on my Eagle screen and it cleaned it up a little.

I think there's some type of plastic polish...I think?

Wow! That was fast!

Thanks much for the info. I did email Humminbird this morning so I hope they will have some info as well.

I have tried a few things, but will try using a mild cleaner with a toothbrush as I can sort of scrape it with my fingernail. Worth a try.

It still works, just looks ugly!

Thanks again,

Hans

Ya might try cleaning it with Plexis, it works great for plastics, laminates and lexan. You can find it at most motorcycle shops.

Thanx JDJ...I might ry some of that on my headlight lenses on my 94 Silverado...will it get rid of discoloration?

You would 'think' that the fishfinder folks would make their products stand up to liquids 'normally' encountered during their use...

But then we wouldn't have to buy new ones as often...

az

I got bug spray on the face of my cell phone once and it burned into the plastic. Of course, I imagine a lot depends on how strong the spray is and what quality the plastic of the unit it also. You never know it, might work.

But be VERY careful putting any kind of cleaners on the screen of you finder. I found out the hard way that they do not hold up to the ingredients in Windex and it actually will cause the screen to "spider web" crack over time and become very hard to read. Plus, once that happens, the unit loses all it's waterproof ability. But I have never owned a unit other than my old Garmin that did not fog up in the sun. That goes for 'birds, and Lowrance both.

There are special polishes out there designed for clear plastics and plexiglass screens. I use Meguiar's Clear Plastic Cleaner (#17) and polish (#10) on my motorcyle windscreen and helmet visor as well as the plastic windscreen on my PT175. You might want to give those a shot only if a gentle cleaner doesn't do the job.

That sounds like just what I need for the headlight covers on my Jeep which are starting to look kind of fuzzy.

Harpo

Greg,

Thank you very much for the reply. I will try cleaning it up. It is not bad and everything still works fine, just would like it to look better. The screen itself is in good shape just the plastic housing got the brunt of the deep woods off.

What I ended up doing was replace the 400TX with a new 595C and moved the 400TX up to the bow.

The Wife bought the whole story!:D

Latest posts

Back