Bilge pump keeps popping off

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
I replaced my Atwood bilge pump last year, but used the same style again. It's the square kind. You mount the bottom "frame" if you will into the bilge area and then snap the top motor with impeller down into it. It has these two hook snaps, one in front and one in back that keep it secured. Well, anytime I stop quick I take water over the back and so need to pump it out. A lot of times I can hear the pump running but no water is coming out. So I go back and sure enough after even a marginally rough ride, the stupid thing has popped out again. Old one did the same thing. I don't want to glue it in case it picks up a piece of plastic worm or something and I need to clean it out. Anyone have this problem? I am thinking of just using a wire tie and tieing it together. Then I could slide that off if need be. My next step is just to use it as a spare and get a Mayfair.

Rob,

Department of Homeland Security thinks that duct tape will cure anything. In lieu of tiewraps I would try a couple pieces of duct tape strategically located on the pump housing. Easy to take off in the event you such something into the pump / impeller.

Good luck

I have LOTS of duct tape. My mother in law bought us some in case the terrorist happened to target the greater Plattsburgh metro area! LOL But I don't have any plastic. Is the duct tape as effective without it?

As long as you have LOTS of duct tape it is just as effective, although you won't be able to look out. I don't think they have started making clear duct tape, just camo. LOL

A little clear silicon, strategically placed, should hold it. You'd still be able to remove it if needed.

I can't remember if the Attwood pumps have the male connectors on the frame or the motor. If they're on the frame, put the motor in, and shim the frame outward at the connector, so as to keep the "hooks" tight against the female side of the connector.

All this being said, one thing I've always heard is Rule bilgepumps are the best on the market.

Mike, how do you shim it. Makes sense, then they can't let go, but shim it with what?

Rob,

Did you overtighten the bracket that is mounted to the boat? Perhaps in your infinte wisdom and power you somehow have "warped" the bracket during installation so it does not mate correctly with the pump. Try silicone....it worls wonders. Just look what it did for Pam Anderson...lol

Mini

You're a sick man Mini...a sick man! No I DID NOT overtighten it. It pops in just fine, but also pops out with any bumps in the ride. I will try the silicone. Besides, I liked Pam better pre-silicone! LOL Not that she's bad with it, just.....never mind! How about those GPS cooridinates? LOL Get your Skeeter yet?

you probably have to much tention on one of your hoses. a bracket on the hose near the pump might help. stan

Rob, I only make suggestions, I don't offer good methods of how to do it. Be resourceful man. :)

After careful analysis, I believe I have discovered the root cause of the problem. It seems as though the bilge pump has taken on the characteristics of the owner. You know, kinda like some dogs do when the spend a lot of time with their owners.

The bilge pump just decides to pop-off every now and again. Must have too much testosterone in the system.

Tounge planted firmly in cheek! :)

Tex

LOL....Rob was the role model for Warren Zevon's "Exciteable Boy" Album!!!......hahaaa....

Exciteable Boy,....Lawyers, Guns and Money,..Werewolves of Plattsburg,.......it's all about Rob!! ahaha

Mac

Latest posts

Back