Big John decommisioned

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edward Lea.

Reaction score
For those who may have served on her or visited they decommisioned the USS John F. Kennedy today in Mayport. I didn't serve on her but when I joined up I was assigned to the aircraft carrier USS FDR. The next time I saw my best friend from High School was when the JFK entered the Med and we were already there. I went over to visit and check out the Big Carrier. She was a drastic change from our WWII boat.

Made the world seem smaller that day when two high school buddies from Iowa met in the Med half way around the world on two of the biggest weapons platforms ever created. I was surprised to see the announcement today that they were shutting her down. I guess time is marching on faster than I realize.

Ed

Talking about time marching on, every boat that I rode has been decommisioned, I retired once, I guess the next time I will be decommisioned.:lol:

cq

MMCM(SS) US Navy Submarines Ret.

My ship unreped the JFK several times as we did the America, FDR, and Shangra La. Back in the early years of 1970. I have a GREAT photo of the FDR coming up the Port side to refuel on a rough day. Jolly Roger Squadron F4 Phantons on the flight deck. Cool photo.

One time in the Med I was in Barcelona and went to the head in the "Pan Am Club" inscribed on the wall was the message "Council Bluffs Iowa Sucks. How'd they know?

Fatrap

I would love to have a copy of that photo of the FDR to show my son. I was on her for two med cruises 73 through 76. Jolly Rodgers squadron remember them well. They were a good flighter squadron. Barcelona, Man I pulled a lot of SP duty down in the gut there.

I was on the Ranger,Independence,Conni.... are any of these still in use????

Kraigrrr

USMC

Semper Fi

They are all gone . Kitty Hawk is the last of the fossile burners. I was on the America CV66 (75-79) and she was Deep Sixed off the coast of the Carolina's in three miles of water in May of 05. Sunk as a target. From what I understand it took her 3hrs before she went down. She went down on an even keel like a real lady.

I know you can't keep them all but that just makes me sick to see them sunk. The America had kind of a rowdy crew. They got kicked out of Mayport one time I was there that takes some doing.

Ken I didn't know your father was a Naval Aviator. Sorry to hear he was killed.

I think I have photos of JFK too. I KNOW I have several of the America plus lots of cans, frigates and Auxillary ships. Got one neat one of a crate of ammo being unrepped to a frigate via a chopper.

Ed, your an Iowan right? Maybe you can get a copy from me at Anita sometime. It's a foot from the top right now and fishable. I did dig out the photo. It's pretty old now a little off on the color. My scanner doesn't work so I'm stuck as far as posting it.

Give me a call or emai me maybe we can work something out.

fatrap

The America's crew was rowdy because that carrier seemed to be the East coast's duty carrier. We were always underway, with last minute deployment scheduleing. Her and her crew were just worn out all the time had to let off steam so to speak. We went to Mayport twice when "Sinkin Sara" and FDR was homeported there.

Ickuss

Saratoga made it to Panama once that I know of. Being on her was almost considered shore duty.

I believe it was in 71 or so when America made their little shore duty stop at Mayport. They wrecked the Acey Ducey club and had assorted fun all over the base. I believe it was the shortest port of call they ever made.

fatrap

Small world, as I was in the Med in '73, and pretty sure we Unrep'd the JFK...along with the rest of the 6th Fleet. Wasn't it the JFK that burned-down/destroyed the Bluebird Club (USO) in Naples in mid-70's? Not sure if it was her crew. Could have been a different carrier.

fatrap, which oiler were you on? My first ship was USS Severn (AO-61), and spent 14 months on here. Put in for Pre-com duty and got a brand new FF out of Mayport in Oct. 73, where we commisioned the USS Capodanno (DE/FF-1093). I remember the FDR and Saratoga being there while I was in Mayport ('73-'75).

A lot of former "squids" on this site, lol. :)

Waterwings

DCCM(SW) Ret'd

Waterwings

I was on the USS Marias. We took part of a Med Cruise from Sevron after the hit something and had to come back to the states. I have pic's of us unrepping her off the coast of Spain somewhere so she went back mostly empty.

We got kicked out of Rota because we spilled black oil in the harbor in 71 or so. I Used to hit Ben's and the Pan Am Club in Barcelona. Also a Disco on the hill overlooking the Harbor called Lord Black's.

I was a Damage Controlman/HT

fatrap

This is an excellent resource for photos of US Naval vessels, if you haven't seen it already (link below). While not always up-to-date, it can be very close.

The only conventionally powered carrier still in commission is Kitty Hawk, forward deplyed in Japan. Kitty Hawk will be decommissioned in 2008, replaced by CVN-77, George H. W. Bush, which was christened in October and is being fitted out prior to sea trials. George Washington will take over as the foward-deployed carrier.

http://www.navsource.org

I was a Damage Controlman/HT

DC "A" school in Philly (in the winter no less :wacko: ) , then Shipfitter "A" school in SDiego, graduated May '72, then off to the Severn.

The Navy referred to the schools as HT "A" Phase I and II :rolleyes:

Waterwings

I did DC "A" school in Philly October of 70. Prior to that I was on the U.S.S.Puddy DD734 as a fireman recruit. Chipping paint in the bilges and standing messenger watch.

Ever go watch the strippers at the Dolphin Club? I never seen that done with tassles before. Ahh the memories

fatrap

Ever go watch the strippers at the Dolphin Club? I never seen that done with tassles before. Ahh the memories

That's an affirmative! :D :blink:

Latest posts

Back