What happens after 42 years at one company

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Talked to a friend of mine yesterday, that I have re-connected with after some years not hearing from one another. I met her when I worked for American Airlines in the 90's. The first day that I was on the job, they had a 25 year Anniversary party for her. She joined AA right out of High School, on December 12, 1966. She worked for AA in many different departments and in many different jobs. She not only was a great worker, but also knew 'everyone' and how to get things done. Last fall, her Manager called her into his office.

On December 20, 2008, she was laid off from AA, where her job had been divided up between 5 other people, much younger and getting paid much less. Two things really grab you about this scenario, which is happening across the country with all types of people and companies.

1) While we all know that under the current 'rules and guidelines' - written by our wonderful Congress; it is not Age Discrimination. However, most of us really know that it is obviously age discrimination.

2) Her work was divided up amongst the 5 other workers, which goes under the general heading of 'worker productivity'. In short, more work, same pay, more hours.

When I left (through a layoff) Wachovia several years ago, I was given the standard song and dance, patted on the back and walked out the door. I came back to Wachovia as a contractor, and had business down 'in town' so I stopped by to see the 'old gang'. When I got laid off, they took part of my job, and hired two (2) Contractors to come in and do it. The other part of my job, got taken up and spread around to several other Project Managers.

We have all heard stories like this, but this one really hits home for two reasons. Lynn is simply a great person that works diligently and effectively, and is one of those people that you remember for years. The other reason is that we both celebrate our birthday's within 2 days of one another. We are virtually the same age, less about 48 hours.

Tex

Amazing Tex, the image of a company we grew up with, where the company cared for its employees throughout their career and rewarded them for hard work and loyalty has been totally destroyed in the past few years. Hope Lynn comes out for the better.

sounds like more "CHANGE",...I won't even go into the stuff they're pulling around here..:angry:

Eddie,

Actually, she and her husband (who retired last year) are doing great. They have been in the same house for many, many years and she does get a great pension from her work. So as she puts it, they are good financially and enjoying their retirement. She just wished that it had been her choice, and not theirs.

I have told my wife, that when it comes time for me to retire (in a few years), if I'm still working, my plan is this.

One day, I'll come in and simply tell them that I am 'done'. No warning whatsoever. I'll just collect up my personal belongings and go back home. I don't know that I'll actually get to do that, but if it's in my control, that's how I'm going to do it.

Tex

Tex - I understand the frustration but if you do what you say about one day just walking in you are no better than they are. I don't know you except from this board and I really don't think you are that type of person. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

I too was left go after 22 years with the same Telecom company. Too old and too much money. They got around it by letting other younger and lesser paid people go just to keep the lawyers away from age discrimintation. They even provided me a list of the people, ages and salaries to "prove" it wasn't my age or salary. I was 52 years old at the time.

It happens, it sucks but that's the way it is done now.

Bill

Tex,...I worked with a guy a few years ago who took all his personal stuff home little by little over a month's time...then....he CALLED IN one Monday and told our boss, "I'm done...mail me my papers!" He didn't even come IN to get'em!!

They mailed him his stuff....:lol:

Bill,

There are many reasons why I am planning this type of 'retirement' as opposed to something else - giving significant notice and taking the time to turn over all of my duties to someone else.

American Corporations pride themselves in being 'non-personal', cold and distant from their employees. Look at what is happening to many, across the US in the last 5 years, and especially the last 18 months.

While at EDS (my last employer), I worked an average of 65+ hours per week for 14 months, to make sure that the new customer for EDS was satisfied and brought on line effectively. Less than 14 days after I completed that assignment, I was laid off because 'I' had not found a new assignment. Other than the 60 days notice that they were required to pay, I got nothing more than a 2 week severance check and no back pay for vacation time accrued, or what I would have been eligible for on Jan 1 of 2009. In short, they counted all of that time as part of the 60 days notice. My last day officially working, was also the day I was notified.

At Wachovia in 2005, it was the same thing - other than the fact that Wachovia had a better separation package that was beneficial.

Now, companies are requiring people to work hours in excess of a standard work week (for my type work - a standard week is expected to be about 45 hours; most now are doing 60 hours a week), and providing no extra benefits or pay.

When I decide to stop working, will be on my terms and not theirs. Yeah, I got the same 'list' of people being laid off so that they could prove they weren't practicing age discrimination. I was 'lumped' into a bigger group, so that it would average out. Thanks once again to our wonderful politicians for writing an age discrimination work rule law, that almost completely protects American Business.

Am I bitter? Not particularly - but I am going to end my career (if I get the chance) on my terms - not someone else's.

Tex

Tex, my son-in-law's Father worked for a chemical company until 4 weeks ago. He was there 38 years, had 3 weeks left to retire on his 65 birthday. He is a chemist, and he and another developed a project to save the company 10 million dollars a year one month earlier. In his case, he had enough days of sick leave, etc. to make it to retirement. It also really didn't affect any of his benifits, pay. He is tore apart, that they didn't call him in and let him decide. They sent him an e-mail, stating the date of his departure. Needless to say, chemical plant workers are guarded when they quit, or get fired to collect personal belongings. His only guess is they didn't want to pay for a party. Go figure.

Bubby

Tex, sounds like it was a blessing in disguise for Lynn and her husband. I am with you, when it is time I will ride off into the sunset on my terms. Fortunately I made the move to a small manufacturing company 2 years ago and work for the owner. I take care of a lot of different things here outside of the design engineering work, so I bring a little more to the table. If I was still at the big oilfield service company, I am pretty sure I would have been a number this year. As long as it is fun I will keep doing it, but when it stops, then I go to the house.

See ya.

Tex, that sounds exactly like our next door neighbor, only she goes by "Marty" .

39 or so years with AA and even sounds like they (her and your friend),were laid off at just about the same time.........

Latest posts

Back