Best Bass in America

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THOMMO59

Reaction score
I know I'll probably start a civil war with this one, but hey, everyone has an opinion.

Where do you think the best place in the whole of USA is the best BASS fishing lake/river??

I'll always have a soft spot for the St John's river in central Florida where dad taught me to fish. You don't see schools of breaking bass that span the river anymore, but it is still a beautiful place to be.

Other than that, wherever I am fishing is my current favorite!

1. Lake Falcon...just gotta pack some heat these days.

2. Fork

3. Lake Caddo (very underated, but awesome)

I love some small lakes in western, mn. Big Floyd Lake and Pearl are my favs around here. I wouldn't know what to do with some of the waters you guys/gals fish.

Where I fish is best. I have had two 5 fish limits over 53 lbs (not on the same lake) and didn't have to go to mexico to do it like most do. Many 40+ limits . I can't and won't ask for more. Just had a 12.9 in my new boat That won me a on line tourney.(The new boat is not even broke in yet) So I say I am fishing the best because it doesn't get any better and if it does it will happen around here too.

Tough question. Most any large lake or river can be unbelievable if you hit it right. Species wise, St Clair for Smallmouth is hard to beat and that is my favorite freshwater gamefish. We (MVM) get together on St Clair every May and even in the worst years it is pure smallmouth joy. I have been blessed to be able to fish a lot of the trophy lakes and rivers. Fork, Rayburn, St Johns, St Clair, Champlain, Potomac, Big "O", Stickmarsh, and many more but I have a plan for when I retire to travel and fish this great country for a few years. I want to hit the best lakes/rivers at the best times.:cool: Anybody wanna come?:lol:

TOXIC

St.Clair,...bar NONE for smallmouth!! When 5 fish limit's hit 28+lbs,.....it speaks for itself! Not to mention 7+lb smallies becoming common!! :blink: For LMB,..I'd have to put my $$ on some of those south TX or CA lakes..Falcon,..Clear, etc. I have 2 fish on my "bucket list"....a 7lb smallie,...and a double digit LM. :rolleyes: I have a shot at the smallie in the st.clair river,....but I'll have to travel for the LMB!!

Tox, I'm up to it as long as we start at Stickmarsh ( we might not ever leave there ) and then the Big O.....then it's all up to You.....

St Lawrence river, thousand islands, 30+ smallies and LM a day everyday:D

If Magnum Spotted Bass (3-6lb. schoolers) trips your trigger, I'd say Lake Lanier here N. of Atlanta is in an elite class of clear water/big bass lakes. ;):D

Smallies: Great Lakes (including St Clair AND Champlain)

Largemouth: Falcon

Spotted: Lanier/Coosa River Lakes

People ask me all the time why I still live in Detroit. I just say Lake St Clair!

I can not address lakes outside of South TX but my preference is Falcon. As far as it being safe right now unless you go to the back of Saledo there is no problem.

So far... I hate fishing in Texas. I miss the Potomac and tidal river fishing in VA. Might not be the biggest fish, but I really miss fishing there. I don't like the techniques that I find myself being forced to use here. It's just not my thing. I was hoping that I'd "get used to it", but in three years - haven't yet.

All the best,

Glenn

My years of fishing 60s 70s 80s It was the Big Lake Okeechobee,I never went out I didn't get at least an 8 lb fish..Now I don't know everywhere Is being fished hard..For sure Fla.Cali are the big fish places..

JR

Tox,

I'm a bank beater as well as being a tide-runner. I got so accustomed to running the tide at most places I fished in VA, that it just became my mode of operation over the years. I would check tide charts and map out my game plan before a tournament. Run to my first spot, fish fish fish, crank it up, run to the next spot, etc... all day long. Sometimes, I just knew where the fish would hold and mapped out my game plan that way, but it was often based on the tide too.

I've never been really consistent on lakes - even when I lived in VA. Occasionally, everything would come together and I'd win a tournament on Gaston, Kerr or Roanoke Rapids, but most of the time those locations gave me fits. I'd take a tidal river over the lake 9 times out of 10.

In the one tournament that I thought I had "really caught onto something" on Falcon, I was fishing as a co-angler in the back of someones boat. We found a ditch going through a cove and I wanted to fish it. I immediately started catching fish on a shakey-head rig, just drawing it down the edges of the ditch. I caught a couple fish that were barely below the legal length, but wanted to fish it out some more to see if there were any larger to be found. Instead, my boater pulled out to deep water, tied on a DD22, and started chunking and winding to who-knows-what structure. We did that for a long time - with no results. He didn't want to go back to the ditch we found, as it was too shallow for his tastes. If I were in my boat, I would have milked it a bit longer to see what I could catch. At least it would have been something in the boat, even if it was barely over the length limit. I don't recall, but I think I went to the weigh-in empty handed, and I don't recall him having fish either.

I have only fished Amistad twice - both times as a non-boater in club tournaments. The lake level was VERY high, and we were fishing areas that the GPS showed as us being way up on land. The water was crystal clear in the places we fished, and we weren't getting any bites. My boaters were bank-beaters too, but you could plainly see everything from the surface down to about 15 feet of water. We didn't catch anything on one trip, and on the other I caught a bunch of small ones on a topwater lure that I was casting into some pockets in topped out grass. Weird part of both of those trips - going through the border patrol check point on the way home. :lol: And no... I'm not joking about that.

I am not giving up. I know the fish are there. I just have to completely reprogram 14 years of tidal fishing into the techniques that will pay off here. Bank beating can (and will) work. I just haven't figured it out completely yet. It's way more luck than skill for me at this point. It's like I've started over. Frustrating. I'll get it though.

All the best,

Glenn

Sounds like I need to take a trip to TX. crystal clear water is my thing. Funny, when I was in Florida and the tannic water (think the James River on a good day:lol: ) and a tide flow that made the Potomac look like a calm lake (2-4 feet swing), I struggled. I had to adapt as well. I even started putting weight on my Senko's and you know that is a cardinal sin to me. Right before I left I won 3 of the last 4 tournaments I entered. I am a much improved fisherman now on the Potomac because of it. You always hear the pro's talk about versatility and I now know why.

TOXIC

Well, you still haven't stopped by to see if the guest facilities are adequate, so what are you waiting for? Come over to TX and teach me a thing or two, will ya! Yeah, I know what you mean when talking about versatility. I've been locked in to one style for too long, and now it's hurting me. I'll adapt. Gotta get the boat fixed this week so I can get back out there. Tournaments are coming up soon.

All the best,

Glenn

I've been staying on the sidelines of this one, simply because I haven't fished that much the past 2+ years. But I've been watching the responses and think that I've narrowed it down.

I haven't fished any of the 'Northern' or 'Western' lakes, so none of them would be on my list. I just can't seem to get up around the MI area, unless it's when all the lakes up there for the most part have 'hard water' or out of season.

So, part of my criteria absolutely has to be: No hard water (i.e. frozen) and the ability to Bass Fish 365 days a year - period. My choice:

Lake Murray - near Columbia, SC

It has most all the different types of structure to be found; great forage for LM's; you can fish on this lake anytime during the year and get away from the crowds; and you can catch 5lb+ LM's virtually at any time. In addition, you can find 8lb+ regularly (well most of the better anglers can - ;).

I'm back in Texas now, and fished in E. Texas the first 18months I was here - but never got the chance to fish on Lake Fork. That would be my second choice - but since I haven't fished here . . . .

Tex

I'm from the midwest, so I'm gonna localize a bit, but my choice for fun fishing is easy - the mississippi river. Awesome small mouth, awesome fishery, frightening to navigate at times but a trillion miles of fishable water. Ain't nothin as pretty either....

David

I would agree with ND bass on minnesota lakes. These lakes don't have the size of fish that the lakes down south do, but they don't get near the amount of fishing pressure either. Many times your the only person targeting bass on any given lake. Everyone else on the water is after walleyes and panfish. Its nice going after fish that aren't pressured that much. I was out this fall breaking in my new boat and one day my five best went 27lbs.

I would say the Potomac River, because I live 10 minutes from there and know how awesome it can be from March - Novmeber. A seven plus pound fish is a big fish for the river, but he number of 2 to 5 pound fish is amazing.

I will say one of the most diverse and fun places I've fished is Oneida Lake in NY. The smallmouth fishing is excellent. Not the monsters you might find in some place, but alot of 2 - 4 pound fish. And the opportunity to catch a large varitey of fish while bass fishing makes it interesting. In one morning I caught Small and Largemouth Bass, Walleye, pickerel, crappe, sunfish, and yellow perch all on a spinnerbait.

HP

Latest posts

Back