Be careful with aspirin! Long story...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
Sorry I haven't been around much guys, but I was busier than a one legged man in an @$$ kicking contest this past month guiding. We were up to our eyeballs with clients and it's good too, because I needed the money for vet bills.

I almost lost my bird dog Zeke, the best bird dog in NY!

We had had an awesome season and in concluded last week with our "Sudden Thunder" week/weekend that brings in all of our repeat, big dollar clients and a banquet. I was to take out a new client, a guy that called himself, "Mr. Grouse" because that's all he hunts for. This guy goes out in the off season and scouts for good covers and marks them with a gps. He'll drive for hours and be gone all day just looking for good grouse cover months before season starts.

So I took him, his brother and nephew (nephew is my age) out for a day of upstate NY grouse and woodcock hunting. On Monday we had 24 flushes with about 20 of them pointed. They were blown away with Zeke and our cover. All of them shot birds. They went back to the motel and demanded that they hunt with us again on day two and it was worked out. We usually rotate clients around amongst the 5 of us guides, but when they were this firm, we made an exception.

On Tuesday we only hunted a half day in the rain/snow, wind gusts, and 30 degree weather. Zeke showed his colors again and we had 19 flushes before lunch. Had we had a full day, I'm sure we would have passed 30 flushes. Of the 19, Zeke pointed 17 of them. And he retrieved each shot bird, many of which would never have been found without him.

They were so impressed they booked to come up and hunt the covers in December in the snow at my recommendation. Then they even asked me what I would charge to drive down to southern NY for a weekend and guide them on their cover with Zeke. They said they had never experienced grouse hunting like this and it was the stuff that articles in Outdoor Life are made of. So I was very proud of my dog and our work together.

We went home to rest and the next day, Wednesday was to be our day off anyway. Zeke never gave me ANY indication that he was sick. He had just given a stellar performance. He has been favoring a paw after days of work and at 6, I figures he's just starting to get arthritis, so I gave him a Bayer aspirin to help with the inflatmation and pain.

Then on Wednesday he was very slow around the house. He only went out once to go to the bathroom and immediately went back to the door to go in. Anyone that has seen my dog KNOWS that I immediately knew something was very wrong. I began to call vets but nobody could me in until at least the next morning. I took him out and put on his beeper collar and my hunting coat and told him to "kennel up" in the truck. This normally would put him into hyper drive to hunt. He couldn't even get up into the truck. So I called one last vet that said they were closing but were on call for emergencies but as the night went on it would get more expensive. I decided to wait until morning and see how he was....mistake #2, (aspirin was #1).

So I laid down in the den that night to keep an eye on him. His rear legs began to give out and he wouldn't lay down he would FALL down. At 9:00 PM I awoke to hear him heaving and convulsing next to me on the floor. I flicked on the lights to find him in a huge pool of vomit that was mostly blood with some huge clots in it and the stench was unreal. I immediately screamed to my wife to call the vet and tell them to meet me at the clinic no matter the cost.

I bundled Zeke up in the truck and did 95 mph all the way to the clinic on the other side of town. He couldn't even lift his head when I carried him out and his breathing was very shallow and labored. I honestly did not expect him to be alive when I got there. I kept talking to him the whole way. At one point I even zipped past a trooper at 90+ mph, with my hazards on of course. Must have been one smart tr

Oh man........sorry to hear. A good dog is harder to find than a good woman.

Hope it all works out and he's up and hunting soon.

By the way....good to hear from ya again, you one-eyebrow'ed, jack-nutted, pink-thong wearing sum*****!!! :D

Rob

I know exactly how you feel about Zeke. I'm glad that he is getting better and hopefully will recover fully. A year ago March my Vizsla Huckleberry got pancreatitis from ingesting a small vole which lodged in his lower intestine. Unlike Zeke, Huck died at the vets office. My whole family was devistated I cried like a baby. I have many hours of video that I took of Huck and my other dog Lucky hunting quail and pheasants. I can just now watch them. My wife and I fuss and worry over the two "boyz" I have now, but they are both hunting dogs as well has house pets so taking them afield puts them in harms way.

One thing about having two is I can work them in shifts so one doesn't get worn down too much. Most the hunters in my circle of friends have gone to a two dog system if they plan on hunting long and hard.

Good luck on Zekes recovery and give him a few pets for me.

Mike Grandick

aka

fatrap

Sorry to hear Zeke had such a rough go of it. But glad he's alive.

:( Glad to hear Zeke is hanging in there. I was hoping to get down there this fall after deer season gets over with. I put out a covey of close to thirty birds the first day of deer season.

They just kept coming out of the pine trees they were roosting in. Always when I have the rifle and not the shotgun. Take care and say hello to the wife and kids for me. Jim;);)

Hery Rob... glad that Zeke sounds like he is on the mend... I know from our conversation about dogs how much he means to you.

My Weimaraner was just diagnosed with some kind of degenerative nerve/muscle disease in his hind quarters. If you remember my post about the aspirin now I know that was the reason. The good thing is that he is in absolutely no pain but is loosing muscle mass. He is 12 and has far outlived the norm for these dogs. So now he gets extra treats and we get to prepare for the day. Vet says it will not take him down fast so that is good.

Already have it planned, I'll have him creamated and scatter his ashes along the river where we used to swiim, fish and hike. When he would get in the jeep to go there, he would whine all the way because he was so excited. Lots of days spent there, lots of memories.

TOXIC

Wow, what a scare Rob. VERY happy to hear that Zeke will recover.

Sue

Latest posts

Back