Battery Charging

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP Heintzman

Reaction score
I have a 24 volt system and attached a 24 volt charger, neg lead on one battery - positive lead on the other, minutes later I can hear gas escaping from the batteries. The indicator lights on the charger do not indicate the batteries are fully charged. Two questions: 1) Does this sound normal? 2) Do you remove the caps from the batteries when you charge them? My first 24 volt system so any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated:rolleyes:

JP

Guessing that you have the charger hooked to the pos and neg that are not jumpered. Then it is hooked up correct, what amp charger are you useing? All batteries are vented and you should not have to remove the caps, but with a high amp charger it might be a goos idea?

BF

What brand and model charger is it? My charger has a positive and negative cable for each bank of the charge to hook to a single battery. Should be fairly simple to connect if the system is the same.

HP

HEre's the charger. I think my batteries may have bit the bullet. The charger never gets to the point where it says they are charged, even after more than enough time. Talked to the origninal owner of the boat, he thinks he bought the batteries in 2004-2005! THey are interstate batteries so will probably replace with the same since they lasted this long and the local shop gives a military discount that saves me some bucks.

Charger.jpg

if you decide to replace the charger get a 12 volt 3bank charger.

there is no need for the 24 volt unit you are currently useing.

the 12 charges each 12 volt battery sepratly. and has a bank for your cranking battery.

you can install it in your boat and just plug the boat in every time you get back ;)and leave it todays onboard chargers have monitering systems that stop when the batteryis charged and start if it senses a lage enough drop in voltage.

i keep mine pluged in all the time unless i'm actually fishing, wich seems to be never

up here in the frozen north.lol

Hey Joe,

I have a 12v 3 bank charger currently, but didn't know I could use it on the 24v system. How do you attach the leads? One bank to each battery, even though they have a jumper wire -vs- or pos on one battery and neg on the other?

JP

JP, I have a 24V troller and if you unplug the troller before charging, the circuit is 'open'. It's only an issue if you have the jumper on AND keep the troller in the loop.

Hey Gary,

so I am supposed to unplug my trolling motor before charging the batteries? What about how to hook up the leads from the 12v 3 bank charger? Sorry for the questions :(, I'm a nuts n bolts guy, I don't know diddly squat about electricity other than it hurts when you get it wrong...:lol::lol::lol:

JP

JP,

You should always unplug your trolling motor when it is not in use. That way you can't accidently press the pedal and activate the prop. It can really hurt if it hits you. Plus having it plugged in can drain your batteries.

Sue

Or.....when it snows it can weigh your cover down enough to hit the peddle and mangle the front of the cover....don't ask me how I know....:wacko::wacko:

TOXIC

on a 12v three bank charger the unit comes with 7 wires #1 is the power cord.

the rest are pos and neg leads that go to each battery.

each and every battery should have both a pos and neg lead coming from the charger.

the jumper wire affects nothing in the chargeing system.

it is only used to combine two 12v banks to make 24v when the trolling motor calls for power.

Very cool, lots of good stuff.

Thanks Sue, I'll unplug it from now on.........

Tox...way too funny bro :lol::lol::lol: sorry bout the cover though :huh:

Joe, thanks for the intel, I'll get it hooked up and not have to worry about the portable charger. Thanks ya'll, I love this bar!

JP

Latest posts

Back