Bass Masters Here I Come

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Well, I finally did it last night. I attended my first meeting. No, not AA....the Indiana BASS Federation meeting. A friend of mine has been bugging me to join with him to fish tournaments so we went last night and he talked me into joining. Our 1st tournament is April 10th. It's going to be really embarassing when I get skunked but I thought it would be a good learning experience. I was really surprised they let woman join. There is another lady that fishes with her husband and that's it.

By the way, we fish 2 tournaments at Kentucky lake so you boys are going to have to give me some inside info so I can smoke them. Ha!

HEY!!..Congratulations!!!! That's awesome,..you'll learn a LOT and you'll have a great time doing it,...now, be sure to get your "routine" down pat, so when you do WIN one,...you can go ape-$hit on the boat and on the stage!!! LMAO!!!

True...I'm still learnin'(ain't we all) and it will be a great experience. Got an early tourny in April myself and it just makes you a better fisher(woman) in the long run. Plus I'll get another chance at a Triton 176 w/90 Johnson. They have a drawing at the end of the tourny so it makes it a little more enjoyable to see who wins it. Some kid about 21 won it last year. Heard he had a real hard time comin' up with the $850 tax to put it in his name.

TEE

First one is at Geist. Patoka is May 1. I might actually catch some fish at Patoka!

Good job. Fed is a great way to get started and whet your appetitie for tourneys without taking out a 2nd mortgage for entries. Plus you can get exposure and sponsors if you want to pursue that route. Good luck.

Teri,

I was a little shocked to see you say "I was really surprised they let woman join." The fish can't tell what sex you are!

Besides, once we gave you little ladies the right to vote, it has all been down hill! (Just kidding ladies!)

Rich D

Oh yeah, be sure to catch pounds plus!

The reason Barb and I have not pursued the Ky Fed is that we had an impression that Husband/Wife teams weren't permitted... Not that both couldnt join, but having them as tourney partners (preset) wouldnt work...

Perhaps I was wrong and should look back into it.

oh, and Congrats Teri! You'll do well and learn alot in the process...

Simnitro, you are correct about the rule. You should have to rotate partners and not be a husband and wife team; however, this group interprets the rule a little different I guess. They said I can fish with my partner for now until I get comfortable and then switch around. I do know that the husband and wife share the boat because they both own it and the group doesnt feel that one of them should get moved from their own boat.

Teri that is fantastic !! But what do you mean you were surprised they let women in ? If they didn't let you in they would have to content with everyone of us on this board,and I'm sure they wouldn't want to go there .

I just thought the B.A.S.S was only for men. I never really seen women fishing tournaments around here or on TV. Also, I have seen women form there own clubs here like Bassin' Gals and something else. I've seen them at our boat shows here.

Teri, congratuations on taking the plunge, you will have a hoot and learn alot of different techniques along the way.

Buzz

Congrats Teri! Have fun and be careful. The vey first tournament I ever fished I was involved in a high speed head-on collision between two bassboats ( not my fault,I was a passenger) and I broke my back in four places when I hit the water as I flew out of the boat. Keep your lifevest on and strapped, then have fun!

Tom

Congradulations Teri. You'll have a good time learning. the Federation is a good place to start.

Go to Citgo's web site. They sponsor Lucy and Jim Mize on the BASS Tour. We've got a small handful of woman fishing the CT Federation. We even had an all woman club, "Better Half Bass".

Congratulations Teri. I have been fishing the federation for quite a while now. Mac and I are doing it this summer too.

I am currently working on a sponsorship proposal for all the Federations in the country. I will update when the time is appropriate.

Mini

Congrats Teri, you will have a blast and the best part is what you will so much opportunity to learn. In the mid 80s, (I'm giving up way too much age info here) I fished 3 years with the NC Chapter of Bass-N-Gals, mostly as a non-boater and I learned allot. 3 of the ladies I fished with now fish the WBFA Tour. I loved being a non-boater, much less pressure and more time to learn. Good Luck and have fun!!

Cass :)

Are you planning on fishing in a bikini? Would give you an advantage over all of the droolers. hehe

Good for you Teri,

Good luck, have fun, learn a little, but most of all, enjoy yourself! Congrats, and best wishes! egMike

Teri -

Penny Berryman posted here a while back on fishing with men.....

re: I've got a quesiton for the Ladies....... by Penny,4/2/2002 23:15 CT

Ok, Ok. Let's get some things right. There are many women who have (and still do) fish in predominately men's trails. I did for many years, and it was just fine. I never really felt any animosity towards me because I was female. I figured if you handle yourself like a professional, you'll be treated as one. Whether you go to learn a new lake and prefish with a man that comes recommended by sponsors or a friend, or draw one as a partner in competition, most folks are just pleased to share a boat with someone who is serious about their fishing. As to the reasons that a great deal of women elect not to fish the men's pro trails, well, they are as varied as the personalities that view this site.

For many years women were excluded from the top men's trail (BASS), but that changed awhile back. Although the circuit was 'forced' to accept women anglers, enough time has passed now that the tensions have eased over that decision Lady anglers are now welcomed to join. At the time, many may have been concerned that women would somehow change their circuit. Perhaps they thought that they would be over-ridden with scantily dressed gals who would need certain 'concessions' because they were women. Some mistakenly felt that they would fill up all the extra spots, making it harder for their good buddy to get a birth into the circuit. Others thought that they might steal some of the media attention away from their efforts. What they didn't seem to realize was that there had always been a professional women's trail. For over 22 years, Bass N'Gals was the primary circuit for women. Also, their was the Lady Bass Tournament Trail. In the last four years, W.B.F.A Tour, has taken over and givben the women a new direction. It is a pro-am format and has set some very high goals for success for women. Many women that I have talked to who are just starting in compeition have said that they feel less intimated, by fishing with other women. They also feel very welcomed and treated with a great deal of respect, so many of them elect to stay 'on the women's side'. The competition is just as tough, the days are just as long, and mother nature plays just as many tricks during a women's event as she does with the men's events. Most of the time, the husbands/boyfriends attend the competion with them, and yes, they can practice together. In case you're wondering what the fellas do on competition days, well, let's just say that they are all members of the 'bank club'....they stay on the bank, off of the competition waters. Many times, they borrow a boat and go to a neighboring lake to fish, some play a little golf, some sleep, some probably play cards....but one thing is for certain...they nervously walk the bank at weigh-in time, waiting for 'their gir'l to make it in. (I guess you'd call it 'role reversal'!) There are also team tournaments that a woman can enter, husband and wife tournaments, and really, just about anything she sets her mind to. Someone on the board mentioned that they tried to join a local men's club and they didn't want her in....someone else suggested that they were afraid that she might beat them......well, I guess that just goes to show that the fellas raz each other over such things. Maybe that just can't be helped as it's just one of the ways our society has separated men from women. Luckily, fishing is one of those wonderful, slightly intangible things that shows no preference to gender. I guess I was just lucky. When I was growing up, my dad took all of my sisters and I fishing every weekend....I grew up thinking it was the most fun, adventurous things for a family to do! I didn't know until much later in life that it was considered more of a guy-thing than a girl-thing to do . I thank my dad and mom for that! It's about the most equal sport I can think of. E

Latest posts

Back