Baitcasters (part #2)

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Shenton

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone. Being the ever inquizitive young man I am, I still have some more questions for this healthy debate... (all in good fun and the love of fishing)

1) How is a baitcaster better for a certian bait (crank, spinnier, carolina, etc...) then a spinning reel? I can see the rod making a difference, but the reel just pulls in the line, as far as the bait end of things is concerned.

2) I have WAY more accuracy and MUCH more distance with a spinning rod. I also find that it is easier to play a fish on, because it doesn't want to torque in your hand when you crank, again I don't see the advantage???

3) Why is this the reel of choice for flipping and pitching? (techniques that don't require a "cast" anyway) I am having trouble understanding how a baitcaster is "better" than a spinning reel when all you are really doing is fishing with a "cane pole" (so to speak)

4) Why in the world is it standard to have to switch hands every time you cast. Now that is just dumb.... ;-)

(I know that you can find one lefty)

I do see the advantage of a baitcaster with the use of heavy lines when you want to still have relatively small package. But with the invent of super lines, that doesn't mean much now anyway...

So why deal with or even risk a backlash?????

Discuss and have fun.........

I feel like I have more control with the baitcaster ...

I am right handed and I use a lefty baitcaster I don't switch hands I cast with my right and reel with my left ... as far as not backlashing it ... it's an art like fish you work on it

Lets see if i can answer some of your questions

1) The reason a baitcaster can be better is lure weight. Big heavy lures ( >1/2 oz) put a lot of torque on the line. On a spinning reel this leads to line twist, the dreaded enemy of a spinning reel and its a function of the way they lay the line on the spool, there is no way to prevent it that i know of.

2)im the exacy oposite on accuracy, i can put a lure where i want it every time with a baitcaster wether im pitching, flipping and ever skipping i can do it with much greater accuracy with the caster. I also feel a baitcaster is more balanced if you "palm" the reel. I have never experienced the reel torquing to one side when i reel. I also find a baitcaster to be more comfortable in my hand over the course of a day, its mainly a balance thing.

3) A caster is better here for two reasons. For pitching you do let out some line and you can stop the line with your thumb any time you want. also with either presentation if a fish hits it while the bail is open you can use your thumb to stop the spool from spinning and set the hook, if the bail is open on a spinner you need to close it first and slack line=lost fish.

4) I dont understand that one either. Thats why all my casting reels are lefty.

Like i said before its a preference thing. I prefer casters because i can do just about everything i can do with a spinning reel and more and do it better. For me backlashes are not a problem. Its pretty rare that i get one regardless of the lure im fishing. Honestly i get more birds nests on my spinning rods from line twist then i do backlashed with a casting reel.

#4... I'm a lefty and cast naturally with a right-handed reel.. cast with left, reel with right. Sometimes, it's good to be a lefty. And WHY the left hand crank reels are called lefties is beyond me. A lefty should be a for a "natural" left hander and vice-versa.

I cast with my right and switch to the left no big deal. It's as natural as breathing. I used to worry about it but I don't anymore. I've had many bass hit my jig or worm on the drop I'll guarentee I havn't missed anymore than the next guy. I'll bet that I can set the hook faster than if I was fishing with some willow stick with an out of balance sewing machine hanging under it.

My son thought he would like a lefty reel for pitchin'. I got him a lefty curado on a 7' Extreme rod. I can tell he doesn't like fishing with it and I sure don't like it.

Harpo

I agree Mike...I'm right-handed and it just feels "natural" to use a left handed baitcaster. You use a spinning outfit the same way..cast right...reel left.

And yes baitcasters ARE more accurate...especially in close quarters where a spinning outfit would be out of the question.

My dad and I did a little test on Dale Hollow a few years back using cranks and spinners. Now he's a spinning man and I'm a big fan of baitcasters since I learned it early and got pretty good at it....which also builds confidence...so the competition was on! Well needless to say he learned a hard lesson when it comes to accuracy and how much 3" difference in gettin' a strike and haulin' water. There was no comparison so he's been practicing and learning himself. Main thing is don't get too frustrated and check adjustments on your reel often.

I 'm still learning accuracy on pitchin' and flippin':)

I really like a spinning reel, but I'll give some reasons that I will change to a baitcaster. If you use a spinning combo for jerkbaits (which I do on occasion), or very repitive crankbaiting, my forearm get's worn out. With a baitcasting setup, I don't have the same problem.

As mentioned, many find a baitcaster far more accurate, as you can stop the bait exactly where you want it. I do have good accuracy with my spinning reel, but on longer casts, I can't really stop the bait 'just where I want it'.

I do change hands when casting my baitcaster. Just can't get down either casting with my left hand, or using a left hand reel. I have an arthritic right thumb, that doesn't do too well when I use it to 'squeeze' things (jar tops, rod handles, shovels, etc.). If I used a left hand baitcaster, it would complicate an already sore thumb.

Tex

Wookie-

I bought my first baitcaster 2 yrs ago, and HATED it. I fished with my brother alot, and to watch him wok his baitcaster was a thing of beauty. I kept trying, but didn't practice often enough to get any better, so I inevitably switched back to my spinning reel (Usually after irritating the crap out of my brother).

Well, I finally have a boat of my own, and the first thing I did this Spring was to stand on the front deck of the boat (in my driveway) and spend hours casting that thing into the yard. I am SOOOO glad I invested the time. I am much, much more accurate with the baitcaster, and I can cast much further, especially with a small lure.

Practice with it, and you'll figure it out!

Just my experience.

TJ

You got it TJ...I musta' put mine up 2 dozen times and then finally give in to learnin' it..Practice then pratice more:)

here is my 2cents.

1, like Jim said, you cant cast some of the larger cranks, spinners and a coralina rig on a spinning outfit.

2, i agree with the accuricy thing with the spinning real, i prefer to use a spinner when using senkos, sluggos, worms, and drop shot rigs. i can skip or place a rubber bait just about anywhere witht a spinner.

3, no coment, i dont do a lot of pitching

4, pick up a left handed reel and avoid having to change hands

it is all personal preferance, since i purchased the curado i suddenly like using a caster again.

GregD

>2) I have WAY more accuracy and MUCH more distance with a >spinning rod. I also find that it is easier to play a >fish on, because it doesn't want to torque in your hand >when you crank, again I don't see the advantage???

You don't have the power that you can get with a baitcaster for one thing. Think of the baitcaster as a winch! Accuracy will come with practice, and who wants to play a fish to death? LOL

The torque you are feeling is usually in the rod. If you have a rod that is built properly, the "torque" is not there. Then again, I'm assuming that you're talking about the rod trying to twist under load.

All of my store bought rods do this. I have three custom rods that have been built on the spine that are simply awesome, and they will not torque, nor will the line ever touch the rod blank itself.

People prefer different cars, trucks, computers, boat, and etc... for different reasons. I've seen people that can kick my butt casting a spinning rod against my baitcasters, so it's all a preference thing. If you're happy with your spinning rods, then that's ok! I still use them for many occasions, but mainly for lighter line fishing.

We had a tournament on Okeechobee last April and I had prepared some of my baitcasters with heavy line and heavy weights. Guess what? That bite wasn't happening. I had to switch to a spinning rod with 8lb line, fishing a weightless worm to catch any fish. Just went to prove to me that I needed to be proficient in both types of fishing, because up in Wisconsin, a spinning reel will get eaten up the first time you hang into a muskie or large pike!

Here's a tip, that sometimes get's overlooked using a baitcaster.

Hold the rod in front of you, as normal. Handles to the right, with the thumb bar and line in front of you. Now, when you cast, do the following.

Turn the reel/rod 90 degrees to the left. The handles will be up (on a right hand reel). You will find that you have much more up/down vertical movement of your wrist this way. Far more accuracy and capability when casting to closer targets. A good friend showed me this several years ago.

Try it 'normally', and then with your hand/wrist turned. You'll see a further amount of 'wrist travel' with it turned.

Tex

When I was about 10, my dad gave me one of my grandfather's old baitcasters from the 40's or 50's, spooled up with a big ol' sinker tied to the end. He told me if I could learn to cast that reel, I could cast anything! He was right. I rarely get backlashes and am more accurate with baitcasting than spinning. One of the keys is to remember to adjust spool tension when switching between heavier and lighter baits.

Rich D

Tex,

you are 100% correct, i cast my curado at 90deg. i have a lot more accuracy that way.

GregD

I was out fishing one of my favorite baits in a small pond over the weekend - the 1/8 oz Mini-King Spinnerbait in firetiger.

Since the wind was gusting, I started throwing it with my favorite spinning set-up - a 6' light action Bionic blade and Shimano Sahara 1000 with 6# Stren.

But I've gotten so used to using a baitcaster when doing the constant cast/retreive thing that I switched to a 6' #3-action (light) All Star and Curado 101 with 8# Stren.

To my amazement, I actually threw that light bait about 25% further with the baitcaster! I had always expected to be able to throw spinning gear further. Guess not!

(Although 1/8 oz is the lightest I ever throw on a baitcaster; less weight and I always use a spinning rig.)

Back