Bad handing of fish at BFL. Many dead.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Boy, this is a bad story. I've taken the meat from two messages on a subscription board (anglerschannel.com - SE based) that I participate in.

At a local BFL tournament on Lake Keowee (Seneca, SC), it was reported that a very large fish kill was caused, at least in part, by the tournament directors. Here are the messages.

First Message: Fri February 21, 2003 7:58 AM

I was not there but was told by a good friend who fishes the BFL Trail that the BFL tournament directors would not allow fish that where caught deep to be bled of gas resulting in a great many dead bass. Since I wasn't there I can't say for sure how many but was told that it could have been over a 100 fish. These fish were seen being hauled away in coolers prompting some action from the Park Rangers that were on hand, though I don't know what if anything was done by them. If this is true then it seems we have some real Einstien-like people running the show at the BFL weigh-ins, and some sort of sanctions should be brought to bear against the tournament directors. I would like to know if anyone else witnessed this, and what their take on it was.

Second message: Sun February 23, 2003 6:29PM

I (person who posted message) fished the tournament and saw a 150 gal. release tank full of bass that were blown up but not dead. There was no water in the tank, so I estimate that there were around 3 or 4 hundred lbs. of fish lost. The tournament director said it was against their policy to release the air in fish that are blown up because they were caught deep. We offered to help with the fish since a lot of us have needles with us to release the air. We were ask to not mess with the fish and ask to leave the release area. There were a lot of local Keowee fisherman that were very upset about this and stated that they would not fish another BFL tourney in the future. A great number of us have E-mailed the BFL about this unbeliveable fish kill and why their policy is like this. But needless to say we have not received a response yet. They will have the same problem a Lake Russell in March because I will be trying to find deep fish. I plan to release the air before I weigh in and advise the rest of the fisherman that fish to acquire some needles and learn how to bleed the air out of the fish. I think they really hurt their reputation at Keowee the other weekend.

Tex

I think the second choice is the smart one. Treat your fish BEFORE weigh in. In fact, unless you caught them just before weigh-in, they should show signs of an inflated swim bladder while in the livewell. To me, it's both the tourney director's AND anglers responsibility to ensure the best catch and release policies. I do agree though, for anglers not equipped or having the knowledge, the tourney director should have been grateful that people "in the know" were willing to offer up assistance. Bad PR to (1) blow them off, and (2) let the fish die in front of all the locals despite the offer. Sure fire way to NOT be invited back for future tourneys!

I heard about this over the weekend. What a tragedy for an awesome impoundment. The fish should be purged immediately upon landing, before putting in the livewell or releasing. They'll have a better chance for survival. I'm fishing the SuperBASS GA trail and as a staff member routinely purge 70-100 fish a tourney these past several months of winter. We lose maybe 2 or 3 fish out of a 150 or so brought to the scales each time. My hands are dyed green from the Bass Keeper and freezing by the end of the weigh-in, but my conscience is clear. During cold weather Bassmaster events, most anglers do this instinctively to reduce the risk of a dead fish penalty. (I know I do!) A rigging needle (perfectly legal and sold at many tackle shops) should be standard winter tackle for any tourney angler in addition to the knowledge of how to use it properly. IMHO

I have heard about this before but am not real familiar with it. When you say "winter" fishing I presume you mean from the deeper waters and not the temperature. Am I correct on this? Also, at what depth is a bass at risk after being caught and when should he or she be stuck with the pin? I usually catch and release in waters 20' or less. That is really sad as some anglers knew this was a problem and they wouldn't let them help out. Where would someone find info on how to stick them and where?

thanks for the post,

jd

Dan,

Can you point me to any decent information on bleeding correctly. We (local club) have a tourney on Keowee in two weeks, and I want to be prepared. I've seen (and can find) some articles, information, but would rather use something that is recommended by someone that routinely does this.

Tex

If in fact it is true, than lets e-mail their sponsers Ranger for one and ask them. I'm sure that Forrest L.Woods would not be happy about such ignorence nor the negitive publicity that comes with it.Wallmart neither. It should be in the rules the fishermen need to bleed the air or be pentalized.I n the end though the directors should take responsability to protect the fish. We all loose on a deal like this otherwise.

That is a shame...and I too think THAT should have been addressed by the directors.

TEE

Tex, do a search. There are many informative sites and documents on it. I don't ever have to, but as I have noted here repeatedly, I am a HUGE advocate for proper handling of fish for catch and release. I haven't lost a single fish in years. You can tell how my day on the water was in a tourney by looking at my fingers and shirt. Like Dan, I will be covered in blue from catch n release formula and my fingers and shirt (usually white....go figure) will be covered in it with black marker from my cull board. Ice, constant aeration, and release formula along with careful handling will almost always insure a healthy release. I have released fish in better shape then they were caught, in bad water.

While living in FL an older gentleman showed me years ago how to bleed the bladder through the side of the fish, reducing risk of puncturing other organs/vital areas. The bladder rests up against the backbone, very near the heart. Penetrating from the side, into the large, over-inflated air bladder makes for a larger target and less chance for additional damage. It's effective on all deep caught fish, regardless of season. (Usually from 30+ feet.) Leaving them bent and floating made them to easy a target for sea birds or flipper.

I think the Tournament directors should print that out and giver it to every competitor so they will know what to do with their catch.

I feel it

Latest posts

Back