Back from Santee

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Well, returned yesterday evening from Santee Cooper and the SC BASS Federation tourney. I finished about 15th or so out of 78 anglers (34 boats). I put two in the boat; one nice one about 4+ lbs and a keeper. My partner caught 4, and lost about a 6lber near the boat.

Morning started ugly with big time fog and a delay. One of our boaters got rear-ended on the way to the lake (boat/trailer and engine damage). We got to sit around and wait till 10:15AM. Fog wasn't lifted completely by then, but good enough to venture out.

Lot's and lot's of ZERO's on the board yesterday. I think many went out trying to 'sight fish' for spawners, and it proved very, very difficult.

My partner lives near Santee in Sumter. Says he fishes about 250 days a year, and that he was 'on fish'. For the most part, we were, but really hard to catch anything, when you get second chances at scattered cypress trees.

We were in 'The Swamp' area, where the water was clear and averaged about 2 1/2 to 4 feet deep (at the deepest). He had been fishing for 2 days, and found them on individual cypress trees/stumps in this big flat.

However, someone needs to explain the following to me, for it just plain mystifies me.

First, we were fishing from a boat almost identical to mine, a 97 18' Stratos dual console. Decent boat, but let's face it, it doesn't have the biggest deck on the front, and not having the extra casting deck (which mine has), limits your movements.

'I'll get a quick limit, and then we'll put you on the front of the boat'. Well, he never got a limit, but repeated the above phrase a number of times during the day. I finally just knew that I had to find 'other targets', and fish 'behind' the boat to be successful.

He always had the boat positioned so that he got the first 'licks in', while I stood on the back patiently waiting (probably my error, but . . .). Also, since it was pretty clear water, we certainly weren't too close to the trees.

My first fish, was on a lone stick-up, that must have been 60-80 feet away. I gave it everything I had to get the worm out past that stick up, and came away with my first keeper. Then later in the day, I took my 4lber off the outside of a cypress tree, on the third cast there.

All in all, I had an enjoyable time and finished well enough. After 3 Federation tournaments, I've not zeroed as yet, and finished well in 2 of them. I get to drop my lowest score (best 5 of 6). They don't separate the anglers vs non-anglers in the standings, but I'm probably in the top 5 for the year for non-boaters. I'm going to ask if they can list by anglers/co-anglers at the end.

We threw both pumpkinseed lizards/worms, and also green pumpkin worms yesterday.

Tex

Just the result of being on the back of the boat. Good intentions or not he back boated you all day and I would have had to say something after a few hours. Nothing harsh but I would let him know that he was hindering you.

TOXIC

Was it a draw or pro am format?

If it was a draw you should have been given the chance to fish your fish from the front of the boat....

Mini

Last year, the Tourney director made sure to tell everyone that the co-angler had 1/2 the time on the front of the boat. This weekend, he said the following:

'Boaters, take care of your non-boaters. Make sure that they are not beaten to death out on the lake. Also make sure that you take care of them from the fishing perspective. A lot of you will be sight fishing, so don't let the non-boaters die on the back end of the boat. However, it's your boat, and you'll have to work it out.'

Wasn't real happy about that.

I'll say this on his behalf, he didn't just jump from tree to tree. I was at least given some opportunity to fish all the targets at an acceptable pace.

It did help me/teach me one thing. When he threw to the front or left of the targets, I dropped mine just to the left or front. I certainly didn't let being close to him hinder me. That's one thing that I haven't done as much.

He did ask me (finally), if I wanted up on the front with him. If it would have been a bigger deck, I would have taken him up on it.

I really wish that they would have extended the weigh in time by 2 hours. Only having 4 1/2 hours on the water (effectively) was tough. If we would have had another hour or two, I believe we both would have benefited.

Another experience. More learned.

And Mini - it was a draw, not a pro am.

Tex

I think you did pretty well considering what you went through and you're right, it's always a learning experience.

I won two tournaments years ago after being "back boated" both times. One was my best stringer ever in a tournament,

17lbs.10oz, and for Maryland that was great. The boat owner was skunked and very angry. I just took whatever he gave and it turned out wonderful though i never fished with him again.

Good job Tex.

Bill

Great Job Tex!!! I can't believe it's been 4 years since you first bought the Targa and started fishing again! What a mid-life comeback! Placing that high fishing from the back with someone like that! You are doing well my friend, and living my dream! Now, skip the club T and hit the rally!!!

Can't do it Trep. Momma is taking the tow vehicle to Alabama for a week with her Mother - leaving Saturday. I won't even be taking my boat to Russell this weekend, I'll be in the back again.

Tex

Well since it was a draw, you should have been afforded equal time to fish from the front of the boat. Did you pay the same entry fee?

That will tell it for sure if it was a pro am or a draw.

Mini

Mini,

Same money and equal chance for the prizes/money at the end. I'm going to ask at next weeks district meeting, about this, and maybe at the State meeting to follow.

I know that some of the anglers that fish as boaters, have simply stated in general conversations, that the non-boaters belong in the back - period.

Of course, one thing that they are not really factoring in, is that without a non-boater, they don't get to fish either. I know one thing, the Federation Tourney's are down now. Last two, averaged less than 40 boats. Last year, we were running closer to 60 boats.

Tex

Hey Tex, Sounds like your having a pretty good season, I fish the Federation trail down here in Florida as a non-boater, Im having pretty good results down here also, I got a check and placed in the top 15 out of 300 anglers in the first tournament, then finished 90th in the next (tough conditions but still managed a couple fish) then did ok w/ a top 50 in last one, Im tied for 2nd in non-boater standings, I think they need to separate the points for the 2 titles though, it makes it really tough on us co-anglers when you have to compete against boaters to get points for the non-boater AOY title. good luck and keep up the great job, maybe I'll see ya at the regionals if we can make the state team :)

Latest posts

Back