Axle Bow On Trailer?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Whritenour

Reaction score
Fellas, from reading past posts, you know I'm having some problems with tire wear on my trailer. My boat is an '06 482 with the standard Nitro trailer. The tires were OEM Trail America which I've learned are essentially worthless. I ordered new radials today and after hearing some comments on axle bending, got under the trailer and looked. I swear the axle is bowed upwards slightly in the center. I'm wondering if any of you would be kind enough to take a look under your trailer and determine if your axle looks like it bows up in the center. I doubt seriously this trailer has ever had a jack put under it as it only had 25 or 30 hours on it when I bought it. Thanks for your help!

As a PS - I got under the trailer again tonight and put a 4 foot carpenters level on the axle. The axle bows upwards in the center approximately 3/4 inch (in other words, there is a 3/4 inch gap between the straight level and the axle center). Is the axle on your trailer like this? Thanks for your help!

My 05' 640LX trailstar trailer is the same way. That is the way the newer trailers are. Make sure your trailer is level when towing to eliminate tire wear.

My tires get wear out from the inside only. If you are driving behind me you can see my axle like the old VW cars.

Thanks for all the replies. I spent about an hour researching this on internet last night and got the impression I was probably worried about nothing (as far as the bow in the axle goes). The guy that owned the boat/trailer before wasn't much on trailer maintenance and I think he began the problem right out of the gate by never checking air pressure in the tires. I'm having new radials put on tomorrow that I'llkeep a close eye on and if I begin to develop problems, I'll figure out what's going on (if anything) with the trailer then. byron, thx for the advice on level trailering...I'll check that out tomorrow as well.

Rommel

The only thing I could suggest to look at would be your trailer spindles...the tops of them specifically if your axle is bowing up in the middle. Make sure the spindles are not breaking their welds from the axle. If the tops of a spindle weld is broke then the top of that tire will fall away from the fender (just slightly) and over time could possibly be putting your axle in a bind. I know it sounds crazy but had it happen to me except I only figured why my tires always looked like they were toeing out until after the spindle and tire came flying off....yeah trying getting that fixed while on the side of the road.

Anyway while sitting on the side of the road looking at my broke spindle I could see where there was rust on an old break and then new metal where the fresh break had just occurred.

If any of your spindles are not true and plum then the rest of your trailers suspension and alignment will work to compensate for the one bad wheel. i.e. forcing your axle to be pinched or curved, wearing tires awkward or quickly.

So check all of your spindles, all 360 degrees of each spindle.

just a suggestion. It can't hurt to check.

E

Latest posts

Back