Creaking and poping noise from trailer

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brantley moats

Reaction score
I have a 1999 896 nitro savage with a nitro dual axle trailer with surge brakes. As I am pulling out of the driveway I can hear what sounds like creaks and pops from the trailer. I have looked under it around it and cannot determine what causes this. I have greased the trailer ball- no difference. I have greased the wheels at the center at the grease fittings. I checked the wheels after getting to the lake by feeling the hubs for heat. The front wheel hubs are cool and the rear wheel hubs are warmer of course because thats where the brakes are.Could it be the bushings at the front and rear of the leaf springs are bad? Have any of ya'll had to replace these bushings? Its been doing it ever since I got it in Feb. of 2010. Any clues would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brantley

Normal. Most all boat trailer pop and creak. Especially dual axle. Lots of things come into play...the long length of the trailer, the suspension system and the torque put on them at an angle. There's a lot of flex in boat trailers. Spray some WD40 in your leaf springs and it will help but as a rule they are noisy. Listen at any ramp launching a tournament and it sound like they are shooting at each other:lol:

Spray Lithium grease instead of WD40...lasts alot longer.

I only have to do mine every couple of years. Doesn't seems to wash off as easy.

Thanks for the info both Toxic and Tee,will try the spray lithium.

Brantley

Latest posts

Back