AVALANCHE UPDATE

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAMES MOORE

Reaction score
I got my first chance to put my Avalanche through it's first tournament. BFL Northeast Division, Potomac River.

Spent two days pre-fishing and Saturday, June 1st,tournament. Two hundred boats, mine was the only Avalanche. The first day pre-fishing boated one fish just over 16 inches off a marina in the back of this bay. Fished shallow all day 2 foot or less of water. Never caught another fish. (Ran south this day) Second day I ran straight across the river from the entrance into Mattawonna Creek. Railroad bridge crossing, old piers back side, hooked into two bass probably 16-17 inches, shook them off, wouldn't let go of tube, not even hooked. Ran north to 3/4 of a mile short of Woodrow Wilson Bridge. Hit this point, shallow, high tide, trees laying in water, hooked a bass close to 6-7 pounds, tried to shake him off, he broke me off. Oh Ya, when I shot across the bay, 10-15 mph wind blowing, ruff, friend riding with me gets sprayed good. Finally figured out 3500-4000 RPM's and a little bit of trim and boat scoots very nicely over the waves. (35-40 MPH) Ride north watch out for tour boats, big waves, airborne, hit hard. Good thing boat has good seats for cushioning. Major complaint from rider, (he's short 5'-4'') hold handle to far forward. Needs to be moved back 18 inches to be more comfortable for rider. Has to bend forward to reach handle, not good for back. Day of tournament I run to railroad trussel, second cast bang big fish on, jumps, big fish off. "Crying" Cast back to same spot another big fish on, holler "get net", fish jumps, waves buy buy. That's the way my whole day went. Never boated a single fish. Come to find out, the tube bait I was using wasn't giving enough to let the hook set. All total I lost 8 big fish. Now that' a day of bad luck. Tried to use heavier line with same tube, fish wouldn't touch. I had to use my light line, but not enough strength to set the hook hard. Tried, hooked a big one under a dock, reared back, hookless line. Just wasn't meant to be. Back to the Avalanche, it performed well. 150 xr6 ran well, 64 mph (gps) buy myself. 60 mph (gps) with full tanks and a partner. The boat is definitly what I was looking for to get me in shollower than most people care to go. Only problem experienced, gas gauge quit working. Almost time for my ten hour check-up, $60.00 worth of gas put thru the boat over the three days of running. Hopefully the rally goes better for me. Jim Moore

Sounds like a great boat and dull hooks. Get that gauge fixed and grab a file and then get hooks ready for the next tourny LOL.

Bear

Hooks were sharp, and yes I did touch it up after I lost the first fish. Needed a wider cap hook to give tube more room to calapse down.

Try the tube hook Vandam designed for Mustad. I believe it is called the Mega Tube Hook.....I also use it for soft jerkbaits....

Mini

I'll give the mega hooks a try. Problem is I'm not Texas rigging. Weight goes inside of tube, then attaches to a clip. Stream lines the tube, so it skips better across the water. Great for getting way back under the docks or low hanging trees. Just got to find a smaller and thinner tube. See Ya at the rally. Jim

Latest posts

Back