Anyone have BASS and/or Ray Scott's email?

• Thread starter Glenn DesOrmeaux
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
As a long-time member of BASS, I think it would suffice to say that although I've enjoyed membership benifits, I've put up with a lot of bull over the past 14 years too.

I'm still a member of BASS. Recently, I signed up a friend with one of those little cards in the magazine (you know, the half dozen of them that are littered throughout the pages). The one I mailed in had an offer for a "Free Tacklebag". You can scroll down on the right side of this page and see the picture I am speaking of. It has a "Join BASS", "Get Bassmaster Magazine", "And get a FREE tacklebag". (3 part scroll).

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/bassmaster/index

Well... I've got a lot of "samples" from BASS in the past for signing someone up, and they have never been worth much, but I knew it ahead of time. But this one really kind of got me worked up when it showed up in the mail. The "Tackle Bag" must be made for Crappie Fishing, or maybe storing your sandwiches in while you are fishing for something else, because I own worm binders that are bigger than this "Tackle Bag". It showed up in a flat envelope, and before opening it, I said to myself "There is no way that a "Tackle Bag" fit in this envelope.... this must be something else".

Unfortunately, I was wrong. It was the "Tackle Bag" (Worm Wrap, Sandwich Carrier, or whatever you want to call it. :lol: )

Here is a picture of the so-called "Tackle Bag", alongside a Plano 3700 box. Please note - about double the thickness of a 3700, but not even big enough to put the 3700 inside. I think I could squeeze two 3600's in it - maybe. I don't own any to find out.

DSCF0866.jpg

I've also been getting quite a few of those "Your membership is about to expire" mailings lately, even though I've requested not to get those anymore. I know when my membership expires - September of this year. That is more than a half a year away, and I'm getting "about to expire" notices.

I'd love to write BASS and/or Ray Scott with this info, but unfortunately, I cannot find an email for either of them. I found one for ESPN, but not BASS. Even if I did, I doubt I would get any resolution.

Sorry to vent.... but I needed to. I found this latest "Free Gift" to be more of a slap in the face than anything. If you are going to send me a worm binder, call it a worm binder... not a "Tackle Bag". I should have known better I guess. :p:lol::lol::lol:

All the best,

Glenn

I've also been getting quite a few of those "Your membership is about to expire" mailings...

I started getting a few of those way prior to my subscription ending this past January. Got tired of it and let the mailings come true. I let it expire and ain't going back.

I figure if they quit sending out all of those "about to expire" mailings they'd have more money to send bigger tackle bags out and not tick-off the subscribers.

:lol::lol::lol:

You hit the nail on the head that that last statement Waterwings! Their subscription department, which from what I understand (as with most companies I am told too), is a totally seperate entity from the actual people involved with writing the magazine, is really causing the most costs. From talking to them, I don't think anyone in the subscription department actually even reads Bassmaster magazine. They are just paid to push it (and other) magazines to subscibers.

Since we are on the subject... :lol: ... another magazine that recently didn't get my renewal notice is "Bass and Walleye Boats". They used to be my all-time favorite magazine. Right under the title was a second line. Something to the effect of "The magazine for PERFORMANCE fishing boats"... or something like that. They used to be awesome! Over the years though, they have become a melting pot of several other magazines. They try to be too much to too many people. They now have bass fishing techniques (I have Bassmaster for that), Flats boats, Bay boats, and other types, etc... They lost their "Zing!" somewhere along the way. I let my subscription expire, and I have received no less than a dozen "Please come back!" mailings. I took the time to write a long letter about WHY I would not come back, and what they would have to do to get me to come back. No response... but the mailings continue.

I have to say this about Bassmaster magazine though - because I was just thinking about it the other day. For years, I have seen the same old recycled stories. I was getting pretty tired of it. But the other day I received the March 2008 issue. MAN OH MAN!!! FINALLY! Some good reading! I'd have to say this is the most interesting issue of Bassmaster I've received in YEARS. I just hope it's not a one-time thing! They renewed my interest in Bassmaster magazine with that issue, and I hope they don't let me down with the next month's copy. :p

All the best,

Glenn

I haven't posted in a long time but this thread hit home. Since ESPN hass taken over BASS, There magazin and Bass coverage has gone down hill! I got a 2 year membership the last time I renewed my subscription and it was a full year that I started getting the notices about subscription ending?? It used to be a famaily orintated business but not any more, it is more like the WWF. My daughter and I used to watch the shows but when they show confrotation and have to bleep the word of fisherman that is whe I stoped watching, and let my subscription expire. It's not Rays Scott's Bass anymore:(, He must be furious:angry: as to what ESPN has done to it.. My two cents worth.

...the other day I received the March 2008 issue. MAN OH MAN!!! FINALLY!...

I may have to look at a copy at WalMart and maybe buy it, but I'm not renewing, lol.

I can hardly stand to watch the ESPN version of BassMasters. Mostly talking, graphics and the same fish being caught going in/out of commercial. I don't know about you guys, but I sure miss the old style shows where they actually spent most of the time in the boat fishing and talking about what they were trying to do as they did it. Sometimes it worked and sometimes not, but it was REAL fishing. It was more about teaching fishing and less selling either products or themselves. I think I would even prefer watching Bill Dance vs. current. My old favorite was Hank Parker. The new show with Mark Zona is a little bit better, but not quite the same. I guess I am getting older now that I am talking about the good old days.:D

Unfortunately, Ray doesn't own BASS anymore,....there isn't anything he can do for you, other than apologize and/or maybe send you a bigger bag out of his own personal stash!! LOL....and knowing him personally, and the extent of his generosity,..I'm only being partially fascisious about that!! I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he DID!!

Glenn,.....that bag looks like it would be perfect for storing CD's in.......use yer imagination and use it for something other than tackle...might be great for lake maps too!

Mac

Glenn - It could hold lots of those PVC tranducer puck holders that you make in 30 seconds or less and then you can always have them with you. Never know when someone will need one! LOL :p:p:p

I've pretty much given up on Fishing magazines in general. A lot of repetition of the same old stuff. I just let my Bass and Walleye subscription go for the same reasons as Glenn. Maybe to the just beginning angler the mags might have some value but for the occasional article featuring a new bait I'll just buy one off the shelf or read it online.

fatrap

I joined and got the bag. It is still sitting on the bed by my computer. Tiny. I actually saw a guy using one for a small bag on a flight a while back. Maybe I will store my sunglasses in it.

Maybe I will store my sunglasses in it.

Careful! You don't want to crush them when you wedge them in that teeny bag!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

All the best,

Glenn

It is standard practice to get you to renew early. Every magazine does it. They actually take the money and "invest it" until they need it for your subscription. Does not sound like much but a million subscribers money used by them for months is a nice "interest free loan so to speak "income for them. I have been railing against this to my wife for so long she won't listen any more.

Latest posts

Back