Anyone From Arkansas..?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Smith

Reaction score
I haven't been here in awhile...very, very busy, but I thought I'd pop in and maybe gather some info from the honest folk of the NTOWS.

My wife is currently in job negotiations with a certain large corporation which is headquartered in Arkansas, they have been recruiting her somewhat aggressively for the past 3 months. Even if the perfect package is presented, we are still unsure as to what decision we will make. Leaving Michigan, would mean leaving both our families and selling our cottage up north. Basically starting over. On the plus side, my wife could get herself out of the up and down automotive industry and finally have some solid job security and I would be employable as a Police Officer down there because Michigans Police training and certification is accepted in most states because of its excellent reputation. If hired, I wouldn't be required to attend their state academy, I would merely have to take a training class teaching me the nuances of Arkansas Law to become certified. On the downside, I should soon be promoted to Sgt where I am..so I would REALLY be starting over with my career if I left here.

Decisions, decisions.

I guess what I'm looking for is a little advice from people who have made a huge move like this..and maybe, some input from some Arkansas residents about what it's like to live there...

It sure would be an easier decision if your were just married, no kids, and no "roots" in place!! If the company is REALLY interested in her, maybe they'll offer her the chance to get some "accounts" or a satellite office set up here, where she can work for them and not have to move?!....Best of BOTH worlds there!!!

Sure would hate to lose a fishing buddy and my ONLY cop buddy in Troy!! LOL Man,..that is a tough decision......keep us posted!!!

Mac

Only you know if it will work. Personally, I had the same decision. I chose to go. It was the best thing I ever did. Got me out of the "rut" for lack of a better term, of where I was at the time. Get a sheet of paper out and list the pluses and the minuses. Sounds simplistic but it does help put things in perspective.

Good Luck on your decision.

TOXIC

Hey Smitty,

I live in a town and neighborhood that has a big corporate influence. I have seen them come and go and kept in touch with several over the years. The one piece of advice I can give you is to look at what else Ark. offers job wise. This is mostly directed toward your wife because in the public sector you can always find a job it's the pension you don't want to mess with and loose.

I was a Paramedic/Firefighter for 14 years in Florida and left with the rank of Shift Commander next in line for a Chief position. I was recruited by a private ambulance company to be their GM here in Cinci, Oh. The pay was twice what the amount was I made in the public sector my wife a Nurse so it was a no brain-er. Well they put many of their eggs in the wrong basket before they hired me and the Board of directors omitted much of that info when they were wining and Dinning me. When they (we) failed to secure a municipal contract after 2 1/2 years they shut the doors. I am now the proud owner of a very successful construction company thanks to a grandfather who made me work summers as a kid with him. But to get the life style I had grown accustomed to in the public sector again not a chance. In fact almost lost it all! Never again would I risk it all for a corporation who has one thing in mind the bottom line!

Now two of my neighbors one worked with Sears for 24 years was transferred to their headquarters in Chicago built a new home and in just 18 months was laid off, his job deleted 59 y/o male looking for work. The other guy left a successful job here in cinci and headed for pittsburgh moved the family and bought a great big house after just 7 months the beer brand he worked for shut down he now works back here in cinci and goes home on the weekends to pitt so that they don't have to uproot the kids again besides in this economy can't sell a home if you wanted to. So just a few stories to chew on in making you choice. It can be very easy to chase the mighty dollar but remember being close to your family and have it all fall apart and being thousands of miles from them is very different. My friend you have a very tough choice to make look to God for the right answer he will help you!

Good Luck and God Bless'

The Dragon

Smitty,

You don't say where in Arkansas that you are looking at but if it's NW Arkansas around Bentonville or Springdale that's some beautiful country. The economy is booming because of Wal-Mart and all the support vendors surrounding them. You also have Beaver Lake right there and Table Rock and Grand are just a short drive away. Good luck on your decision.

Something to think about....

"When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Arkansas.... it'll happen 10 years later there."

--Mark Twain

Ifyou have a chance to leave Michigan for some job security (even if it is hers) you should give it some serious thought. It seems you are.

We will miss you here smitty, Troy will be losing one of its finest but you will always have a place here in Mi.....esp since your cabin might not sell quickly in this market! lol

Seriously best of luck to you my friend. and if you need people to "check" on your cabin I am sure Mac, Neeley, Marke and myself would be happy to check on it for a week or so ;)

You are correct Soonerfan..it would be the Bentonville area (WalMart). My wife's former boss went to work with them a few years ago..he wanted us to follow then but we/she declined..he has had a few retirements since then and now has come back at us/her more aggressively with company reinforcements to boot. He and his family absolutely love it there..and he's not leaving me out of the mix either..he's not a fisherman at all, but he's done a little research on Arkansas bass fishing and has been bombarding me with e-mails for the past month. He really knows where to hit a fella...!LOL

My wife advised him to put an official job offer/package together that we can look over..in the meantime, she/we are putting together a counter offer. It will be interesting to see how far apart or how close the two will be. My wife and I are really getting tired of walking on eggshells in regards to the automotive industry here in s/e MI..especially for the suppliers which my wife is. Her company services Chrysler exclusively and I can't even begin to explain the mindset and callous attitudes of the new ownership there. It has got to the point where she expects the entire division she runs, including herself to be laid off on a daily basis. There was a time when the Big 3 offered a sense of job security and a lasting career, unfortunately those days are long gone.

The Bentonville area is nice. Beaver Lake is right there....awesome fishing (as long as your not on the back deck of Iaconelli's boat!) Smallies, Spots and largeheads!

I had a good friend who's husband took a position with Wal-Mart in Bentonville. Although I've lost touch with them in the last couple of years I know they were lovin' it when they first moved over there from Tulsa. Last I remember they were taking fly fishing lessons and fishing the trout streams over there.

If you're a reader you might want to check out Tom Friedmans book, "The World is Flat". It has a couple of very interesting chapters regarding Wal-Mart and the rise of China in the world economy. He describes in detail how business is done in Bentonville.
http://www.amazon.com/World-Flat-Hi...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200084651&sr=8-1

Hey Smitty,

You know what I went through a few years ago.

I'll e-mail my phone number and you can call me if you want.

Marke

Smitty,

I have lived in Arkansas and have lots of family and friends still down there. I absolutely love it there. If I could get my wife to move I would move back!! The fishing and the people and their hospitality are unbelievable. The winters will be a huge change for you. They don't get the snow like you do in Michigan that is for sure, and their idea of cold is way different than yours!! The scenery is absolutely beautiful. The outdoor aspect is surely one thing to consider, but the most important thing is weigh the pro's and con's. Ultimately it comes down to what makes you and yours happy!! I know what I would do, but that is just because I know what it is like there, and it is a good central location with many outdoor opportunities. Good Luck!!

Tim

Here, Here.

I live on the outskirts of Bentonville and work in Springdale. I'll try and add a few other things that haven't been mentioned.. most importantly, fishing first. Bella Vista borders Bentonville to the north and offers several smaller and private lakes (7 I think). There are a few fishing clubs that fish these lakes exclusively or almost exclusively. There are also about as many golf courses as lakes if you like hitting the sticks. Check out www.bellavistapoa.com for more information.

One other smaller lake worth mentioning is just down the road in Gentry, AR. The Swepco power plant discharges into it and keeps the water quite a bit warmer... There is also a bald eagle sanctuary and we counted 11 at one time on Friday. Quite amazing.

There are a few other large companies that have employment opportunities such as JB Hunt, Tyson Foods, and Willis Shaw Express. The vendors that support WalMart also keep a big local presence.

Our family really enjoys living in this area. Depending on what life throws at us, we'll always be here.

Good luck with your decision and let me know if I can answer any specifics for you.

Nick

Latest posts

Back