Anybody pour there own Softplastics

• Thread starter Christopher Laurencio
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've thought about it but never got past the thinking stage. I think I enjoy wasting money on bags of stuff that I'll either never use or use once and forget. There are several good websites for companies that supply you with all you need to do it. Google it.

BTW...How's the new job?

Harpo

The new job is great, the commute is long 47 miles, but other than that it's been good, a little slow but that's expected in the first few weeks. Everyone here is happy and not MISERABLE, it's been a long time since I could say that.

BTW, when I make my first few pours I will send you some samples to try out, what color you want?

Let us know how it works out Chris. I've thought of doing that for a long time.

I'm glad y'all are happy and the new job is working out.

Bill

Depends on what it is. With Hulagrubs I like rootbeer/green fleck, with worms & lizards I'm more of a watermelon/black kind of guy and with tubes I prefer pearl/silver or junebug.

Get you some books on tape/CD from the library, it'll make that commute a breeze.

Harpo

ok guys....these people are a little pricey but they have some of the best looking molds I have seen....very nice quality stuff.

http://del-mart.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21_23&products_id=102&osCsid=bb23499b68efbe1516a87a1055be33d5

Jim Bob, that's the website I have been looking at, a little pricey, but it looks pretty cool to try out, it may even pay for itself.

Chris

I already got an idea for the name of my softplastic lineup.

BADA-BING, BADA-BOOM Baits. Only in NJ. LOL

theres are the few molds that actually look like a bait made by a company....most of the molds I have seen have looked like hand poured baits......and with the alum molds you should not have to worry about them ever breaking or cracking.

Cool, I might get one of those 10 1/2 inch worm molds and try for myself. Thanks for the link info.

Jaws

Jaws / Jimbob,

did you notice the worm molds appear to be one piece molds. Does that mean your worm will only be half round and the other half flat?

Yea thats what it looks like, Before I bought from them I would have to give the a ring and see whats up. But I dont think it would make that much of a diff. The fish arent looking that close.

Jaws

Hey Chris, I have been making baits for about thirty years and have many kinds of molds. I have some of Dells molds and they are worth the money, very good results. Check out www.tackleunderground.com for information on any type of lure making. Good luck<>< <>< <>< <>< Jack

CJL

A lot of the worms I buy have a flat side like culprit. The mold that I can not seem to find is for ribbion tailed worms. So to answer your question I don't think a flat side will make that much of a difference.

I have been pouring my own since 1999. My Alias is short for Downstream Lures. There is nothing better than pouring your first lure running out to the lake and catching fish with it or having a customer tell you about how their son/daughter caught their first bass with one of your products. the website listed above is a good one for anyone thinking about trying. There are lots of things to learn from color combo's, plastic recipes, scent options, glitter, floating additives, etc. but I will pour my own forever. I just purchased a lathe so that I can begin to make my own masters from scratch and bring more of my inventions to life through making my own molds. You can go as far as you want depending upon time/ideas. As far as flat sided worms most hand pours are 1/2 molds which lead to a flatter side, but can be slightly rounded depending on how sharp you mold edge is and how you control pouring. Aluminum molds are great for sharp edges, but need to be preheated to prevent plastic shrinkage which leaves big sink-hole inside of bait. I am working on a new mold design made out of softer material that will allow me to hand pour an almost perfectly round worm. Still workig on the masters, but will hopefully have something to try soon. I could go on for hours, but will stop for now. One cautionary note is that if you are going to get into it more than for just a hand full for yourself make sure you have proper ventilation where you heat/pour because the plastisol fumes are not nice with long term un-controlled exposure.

Latest posts

Back