Anybody going anywhere in early Spring

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Meyer

Reaction score
I usually do a Kentucky Lake trip every year with just my youngest daughter (she's not so young anymore at 22...lol). Well this year I am looking for suggestions... April? don't think I have many more years of these trips left... She has a real job and a serius boyfriend... So, looking for a possible change...

BTW, don't get me wrong, the Moors Resort folks and location are fantastic and Kentucky Lake is a great destination...

A couple of years ago I went back/forth between Guntersville, AL and Lake Fork, TX for an March trip. At that time I lived in the Peoria,IL area. Guntersville was a little closer, but I decided to head to Lake Fork for real monsters. They were on spawning beds and pre-staging. I was not as good as I am today with flipping/pitching nor had I found senkos at that time. Many were caught on red rattle traps which I had also not used much, but that is considered one of the go to baits for spring. Literally the day before I got there somebody caught a 15lb'r. My biggest was only 6+ with a number of 4-6lbs. I did see a couple of guys catch an 11lb one with a texas rig worm. they wre having the time of their life hauling that thing in. I definately want to go back again now that I have improved and added a few techniques. Interesting thing about Lake Fork was that it seems to be a lake of flooded timber that they cut out a few boat channels through. You definatelty want to pay attention to the channel markers. Also if the wind comes up it gets real choppy fast. With that said I had no problems in my 2003 PT175 with a 25 hp motor. I obviously did not go from end to end with the 25hp, but there is plenty of fishable water everywhere. I have continued to hear many good things about Guntersville for quality/quantity so I will probably go there one of these trips, but the chance at a monster won out that year. Only issue this year might be if the southeast drought has lowered that lake too much.

Hi Greg,

I am also looking for a destination for this spring.... I wouldnt mind KY Lake at all, there plenty there that we've never even seen. Have been to Guntersville the last 2 springs and thats always worth goin back to again too. But this year I was kickin around the idea of goin to Dale Hollow or maybe one of the MO lakes, Table Rock, Mark Twain or the Ozarks... But heck, I'd settle for the Cal Sag right about now :wacko: Dont know how far you are willing to travel or how long of a trip you are looking for, but Kinkaid or Lake of Egypt in South Il. are good if you want to stay within a 4-5 hour drive. But like I said, I dont have a confirmed destination yet either... Keep us posted, I'd be up for another outing this spring...

Mike

Always Dale Hollow in the end of March, beginning of April depending on how Mother Nature feels:cool:

Well, I turn 40 in a few weeks and my girlfriend has financed a fishing trip for the both of us. We leave March 12th for Lake Amistad!! She has gotten me a guide for a day and rented a boat for the rest of the time. Should be a totally awesome week. I'll post some pics when I get back.

John your gonna love lake Amisatd. S/b pretty busy during that time though. If you can get to Texas, might I suggest a South Texas Trip. Choke Canyon, Amisatd or Falcon.

Just the local places until June then Oahe for the 16-20 for eyes and maybe some smallies.

fatrap

MAT's idea of Illinois sounds like an idea...

I have a line on a cabin.... i'll email MAT and see what we can come up with

Me and two friends are heading down to Amistad for the week of March 15 - 21. It is only a 10 hour drive from OKC and I can't wait. I have never been there but I have heard great things about Amistad. Gilly

Hey John, does your girlfriend have a little sister that also likes to fish, and BUY!!

Tim

Hey John, Tim is being picky, has she got any sisters that also like to fish and pay...LOL:wub:

BF

Looks like 2 weeks on Kentucky Lake, Big Sandy area in Tennessee, late April.

Frankly, I am ready to go NOW! Cabin fever has taken its toll.

Tim and Bruce.......sorry no sisters, but she has a brother.....lol

Gilly: we'll be there 13-18 of March, we're staying at the lake amistad resort. We may fish a couples tourney while we are there, it's the 15th or 16th.

Here's a funny story: so my g/f has arranged all the plans for this trip. Renting a bass boat on the lake is pretty much not an option, none available. so she has rented a boat they call a "fishing boat". I guess the booking company has been giving her grief the last 2 months about paying an extra deposit, something like $1000. So she gets approval from the Manager to allow the normal deposit, yet she's still getting calls from someone about the additional deposit. finally, she had enough and laid into them. Saying they are mis-representing a "fishing boat". she said first of all it has no trolling motor, no live wells..... You can label it what you like, but it is most certainly not a fishing boat!

gotta love it when a woman knows her fishing!!

Greg,

tonight is early spring, right? If your thinking of heading to the Spring Classic event at Gurnee tonight, I was in the store yesterday..., they have the Mustad Slow Death hooks (gold only for now) in stock, if your interested. Got mine yesterday.

Maj

Houseboat trip every spring for 10 days on Lake Powell. These days that is the only fishin trip I take since I live at Lake Havasu.

Maj Mark,

I got th3 red slow death hooks coming. Interesting "secret" (non secret) the last couple of years. I am looking forward to working with the new hooks. been using aberdeens.

Greg - One word SHANGHAI!!! Bringer her over, we'll fish chinese style in a local park for their "crappie", then head to the coast for some fish, and for a shopping trip so she gets some 'deals' on purses and shoes!!! LOL

Enjoy the time together, it makes a lifelong connection!

Trep

Trepper,

How about, instead, you get your skinny butt back here to the US of A and we sip some cold ones in Wisconsin (if you can lower yourself to fish with a genuine hillbilly)... There is always a seat (well whihever half the seat you occupy) open in my boat for you. And, we have real crappie and reall walleye.

I go to Clear Lake California every year during the early spring. Usually the last week of March. Caught 200 Bass there last year in 4 days with a lot of 4's-6's being the norm. Hooked into one that was going to be the biggest of my life however, my line broke due to my error of not having the line going through the final eye of my rod during a recent re-tie. Anyway, I was there a week prior to the Elite series getting there and setting all those records. I would have been way up on the leaderboard with my 5 biggest during my 4 days. What a place.

Max <><

I'd love to go just about anywhere and also wish we could have another NTOWS Rally somewhere. I know that Greg worked real hard trying to get one together last year and it kind of fell apart. I had said I would go and then found out I couldn't so I hesitate to

to plan anything for me unless it's fairly close. I'm just wishful thinking I guess.

Uncle Billy

Lookin sooooo forward to the anual pilgramage to Michigan. Many moons ago I used to go to Champlain every year and met up with about 5 guys (this was before I knew Rob and Buzz). I got tired of the competition. We would blast off every morning and everybody would go their seperate directions and we would have like a mini tournament every day. Spots were secret, competition was high and I finally just burned out on it. Michigan is a whole different deal. We all get together, fish together, razz each other on the water and enjoy each others company with a little competition thrown in (this is my year for a 6lb smallie BTW!!). 75% of the time all of us are in sight of each other. We come off the water enjoy fantastic food, drink and friendship. Lemme tell ya, it don't get any better than that!! Ever.

TOXIC

Scott, you should have been a travel broker!;) That sort of thing sounds super great to me!

I agree with everything you said. If I went to something like that I wouldn't care about any sort of competition. I would just like to fish for smallies because I haven't done much of that at all, and I would just absolutely enjoy meeting in person some of the friends I have 'met' here.

It sounds like a time that would be very hard to beat!! Maybe some day I will be able to travel that far and also be invited to join in with you and the Michigan NTOWS brethren!? I enjoy fantastic food and I truly enjoy my adult beverages but my favorite, by far, would be the friendship.. Oh I hope one day. What a wonderful time that would be!:cool:
Lemme tell ya, it don't get any better than that!! Ever.
"And since I've known you for a while Tox, I'll take your word for that!"

Uncle Billy

Latest posts

Back