Any IRL fans out there?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
My month of fame has arrived. My picture is in this years Indy 500 program in the celebrity section. No, I am not the celebrity, I was hanging out with Ice T (rap singer) and our picture is in there. I will scan a copy when I get one. My brother, who is involved in racing, called me yesterday and told me about it. Just thought I would share.

Cool Teri!!!

My brother is an IRL NUT!!!

He takes the whole month of May off work and hangs out in Indy...

Several years back he got to work in the pit crew for one of the Kelly team guys...they the guy won the race!!! Think it was at Phoenix or Vegas...anyway, he got to be in all the Team pics in victory lane!!!

I lean towards the NASCAR side of the fence..."If it ain't rubbin, it ain't racin!!!"

az

Andy, I have grown up with racing. My dad did the engines for Johnny Rutherford when he was in his glory days. My brother works for Penske now. I've gone to alot of races in the US over the years. I only watch it because of my brother. Not a true nut I guess but I do follow it. I have met alot of celebrities through racing but never BILL DANCE dang it!!!

hahaha

I want Bill to take me fishing on one of those "private lakes" he's always on...LOL

My father-in-law is an engine builder...

Nothing bigtime, but he does a lot of engines for the 'local' racers...He had the season points winner at Kalamazoo a couple years ago...

Will you be at Indy then this year?

Time trials and/or the race???

az

I will probably be at the race. I used to go to everything but now I only go to the race. I may stay home this year and play with my nephews. They stay at my house when they come to see my brother. I haven't decided. I get the good life at the races, passes to everything and I sit in the Penske suite but I would rather be a fan partying in the stands but I don't get to do that. It sounds like "oh poor you" but I don't mean it that way.

My brother got us into the Delco suite one year for time trials...

Sure, it was nice...but, like you mentioned, you just don't have the same fun as when you're out in the crowd!!!

az

I sure wish they never got rid of the Snake Pit. I remember sneaking down there as a kid and watching all the mayhem. We used to go to the cigaratte stands and grab free cigarettes and go behind cars in the snake pit and smoke them. It was the only place I could go where people wouldn't know whos kid I was. I thought I was so cool. They sure have cleaned up things since then.

Teri,

At one time, I was a big Indy car, open wheeled race fan. The whole CART/IRL thing really turned me off. I really haven't watched to much of the open wheeled stuff now in about 7-8 years.

I watch Nascar, early in the spring and around Memorial Day. Since I live in the Charlotte area, this places goes particularly crazy the last two weeks of May - The Winston and then the Coca-Cola 600 at Lowes Motor Speeday.

Tex

When I was in my 20's and 30's, I used to play around with sports cars and SCCA Solo II events (autocrossing).

I went to the 500 about 10 times in the 70's and early 80's.......... Damn, I'm old.......... Got tickets through a friend of the family in the grandstands immediately opposite the pits!

The picture is one I took in maybe '71 or '72(?)..... You mentioned Johnny Rutherford, (I think this was of Johnny, but it may be Al Unser) he had been leading the entire race when a transmission seal went out and put him on the sidelines.....

Somewhere along the line, I started watching NASCAR and Dale Earnhardt! Indy cars took a back seat. Then there was Daytona a couple of years ago..... No racing has ever been the same for me since.....

When I'm gone, I'm gonna go fishin' with Dale!

me!
Indy.jpg

Latest posts

Back