Any hockey fans on here?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
Anyone who knows me well will tell you - I'm not a fan of professional sports. The only sports I like are outdoor sports - hunting and fishing. I have nothing against the professional sports. I just think it's boring to watch someone else playing a sport. I know millions of fans don't think that way. It's just me. I know. I'm weird. :p

Well, my son is in Cub Scouts, and one of the things they needed to do to get a badge is a "Go see it" Sporting Event. Our Den Leader did an excellent job getting us box seats for the Cub Scouts to see the San Antonio Rampage vs the Dallas Stars. Very nice seating. $18 per ticket, and we got a hot dog, soda and chips included with that (and considering the price of the food there, that pretty much means the ticket was free. :lol: )

As I watched the first four minutes of the first period, I started thinking "Well, this is like watching paint dry." :rolleyes: The crowd was quiet. The puck was passed back and forth, no real action to speak of. I reached for my iPhone to surf the web. Then a fight broke out. :huh: For the first time since the game started, the crowd woke up. They went nuts! Looking around, my wife commented, "Well, I guess this is what hockey fans come to see... The fights!"

I started watching a little closer. I don't know jack about ice hockey. But what I did see seemed to be the opposing team (Stars) being MUCH better skaters, passers, and puck controllers, and the home team (Rampage) being the brutes. Kinda like watching brains vs brawn. As someone who doesn't understand what hockey players should be doing, I don't know what is considered "better", but it seemed that the opposing team had more practice and was more of a team on the ice. The home team just seemed to be loosely thrown together and beat the other team into submission.

Anyway... Great event for the kiddo's. They had a ton of fun. The Cub's were all standing up yelling "Go Rampage!" the entire game, and my son is still zonked out this morning. He probably won't have a voice today from all the yelling he did last night. But he had a blast, and that is all that matters. I don't see my family becoming big hockey fans, but I thought it was a really neat experience for the Cub Scouts to watch.

Game went into overtime - Rampage won 3-2.

All the best,

Glenn

Go blackhawks!!!!!!!!!!! I'm a big fan, but fighting isn't the reason I watch. Its part of the game, but I like the hits, and the finess those guys have

I used to watch a lot of hockey but kinda trailed off. I used to say that I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out!! Normally I like to research who the "enforcer" is for each team is and keep an eye on them. Neat thing about hockey is that it is physical and always on the move.

TOXIC

Hockey doesnt belong in Texas :)

Detroit is Hockeytown, but I dont follow it until the second round in the playoffs. Too many teams make the playoffs.

I looked at their roster. 6 Americans, and the rest are mostly Canadian. That was a surprise!

All the best,

Glenn

My wife is a hockey fan. She is originally from upper Michigan (Hockey Country). Anyhow for her one xmas gift this last year, I bought 2 box seats to Red Wings vs Nashville. It was great, went to Nashville for the weekend, hotel and such. I believe that night I saw just as many Red Wing jerseys as Nashville jerseys in the crowd. The only down side is the Red Wings lost. :(

Dennis

Latest posts

Back