Almost a death on the water

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
We were very close to an 'almost' tragedy on Saturday, during our tournament. Let me set the stage.

Weather was partly cloudy and very nice. Visibility was close to being unlimited. Wind was 3-4 mph at best, so the lake was very stable. We had been fishing up in the South Fork River that feeds the upper end of Lake Wylie - it's the seondary minor river. We had come out of a large cove off the back end of the channel. Coming down the lake (about 3/8 of a mile across), there were probably 6-8 different boats fishing different parts of the area. Near the eastern shore, was a 16 ft white tri-hull, with two men in it catfishing. They had about 12-16 lines out, all with bright yellow rods. Very visible.

We slowed down to go around them (they were 80-100 yards off a point), and went just a little farther down and around the bend from them to fish the next point. Kinda a 'S' bend in the channel. We could clearly see them from our position. About 5 minutes after we started working the point, we heard a loud 'boom/bang'. Looking around, we could see a pretty good wake, two fishermen in the water, and a bass boat returning to the scene.

The other boat was screaming down the lake at an esitmated speed in excess of 50 mph. Luckily, just before they ran over the 16 footer, both fishermen saw the impending disaster and bailed out on the other side. If not, at least one of them would probably have been killed.

We came back to assist, but fortunately, they were both back in the boat, and unhurt. Cold and angry, beats cold and dead any day of the week. We hung around the area for about 45 minutes, just in case we were needed (we weren't), then moved on.

Don't know how those two idiots didn't see them, as they were very visible. The bass boat, reportedly was taking on water and went up in to a cut to put it on the bank. The catfish boat had the trolling motor ripped off along with the handrail on the 'accident' side. Also took out most of the rods, rod holders and misc. stuff. Wound up bouncing off the top of the motor (took a big chunk out of the cowling), but the motor was still in operating condition.

Just as a reminder to everyone - even on a clear day, please pay close attention.

Tex

Not that this is an excuse, but...if the bass boat was full of water, it was extremely difficult to steer. Speed probably came from fear of sinking which definitely debilitated their ability to navigate properly.

Sounds like a very unfortunate accident. Glad to hear nobody was injured. We lost some good kids down in Houston last summer in a nighttime hit-and-run boating accident. "Pay close attention" is excellent advice.

I think he meant it was taking on water after the accident.

Bill P - that's correct. Taking on water after the accident. Reports were, that the driver and passenger in the Bass Boat said 'Don't blame us, it's not our fault!', when they pulled back up to the two in the water.

Tex

How could it NOT possibly been their fault??

There may have still been a tragedy on the water if that was me catfishing and I got hit and they said "it's not my fault" May have been a killin'

Tex-most accidents occure on days just like you described.That is a scary situation,glad to hear you tried to help out.

Tex,that was quite a story, glad to hear the catfishin' guys were ok, although a bit soaked. And this was in broad daylight? 50 mph + ? Sounds like it could have been much worse, too.

I do alot of night ( from a couple hrs before sunset to maybe midnight) fishing on my favorite small lake, I think it's maybe 200 to 300 acres. Alot of times I go out there alone, and it's a great way to relax on a Friday night, and get some after dark perch on minnows on ultralites with the occasional surprise couple pound LM. But the thing I fear, even though I keep the lights on, plus a small lantern or two, is when you hear an outboard fire up, it's pitch dark, and they gun it and are flying across the lake to where? Can't tell, cause I can't see them......they're flying across the lake with NO lights of any kind.... talk about scary, don't know which direction they're going, and can only pray they're sober, and can see me! Happens almost every time there, but the night fishing's usually so good I still go back......be safe this year everyone, egMike

The only way you could not have seen them is if you were asleep, or just not paying any attention at all. We were never near or around the two culprits, so I don't know if alcohol was a factor or not.

Kenny - I'm with you. I'd have been sorely tempted to go catfishing with very fresh cut-bait!

Tex

Tex, I wasn't insinuating anything about alcohol in the case of the bass boat vs catfishermen, stupidity maybe, but not alcohol, lol.

And I agree completely I'd probably lose it if someone came up to me after ripping up my boat and dunking me, and said "don't blame us"....takes a LOT to get me mad, but I think that'd qualify if I was one of the catfishermen. egMike

Latest posts

Back