All-welded Pro Team 185 owners: Would you buy it again?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon (TXJHawk)

Reaction score
Hi all! I posted a Q about warranties in that section and got great response and am hoping for the same here. I am in the research stage of my first

TXJHawk,

I just recently upgraded to a PT 185 from my earlier PC 175. I upgraded to the 185 mostly because of room, storage, and stability. To answer your questions, and then some...

I got the 90 hp, up from my 50 on the PC175. It is not a rocket, but it gets nice speed (~48mph) at WOT. Also, the open gap spark plugs don't foul and it idles great. It does use a lot more gas than my 50, though...the 21 gal tank gets used up in a 6 hour day of skiing and fishing (the 90 also allows for some great ski fun when they stop biting!)

About stability, the wider beam than the 175 makes for easy one person fishing, loading and unloading. I don't notice any lateral rocking whatsoever, unless I move to the side and my 240 lb. buddy is almost standing on the rail in the back. Basically, it's not tippy at all.

About stability on the fly, I have noticed porpoising at higher speeds but a very smooth ride once trimmed correctly. I fish Lake Eufaula and the chop gets bad at times. We added a second console to the 185 for my wife...she now doesn't mind 6 am runs across the lake at 40 mph. That's a great addition if you don't mind losing the floorspace.

About gunwhale leaks...I only noticed it once when skiing, and only when I would pull the boat into a sharp turn, with the gunwhale almost below the waterline...only a little bit ran in and it was not disconcerting. I do have to run the bilge after pulling ski loads, however, but I think it's from everyone dripping off in the boat. Bottom line, not an issue at all.

Fitting in the garage...I have a standard size garage (if there is one, I guess) and have about 14" room left over in the front, with the motor resting on the transom saver. If I needed more room, I could tilt the motor full down and gain about 8". Width is not a problem if you have a fairly clean garage.

Would I buy it again? Oh yeah. It's a great package and provides all the storage and features a weekender needs. Like I said, I even earn cool points with the wife and kids by pulling tubes, kneeboards, and skis with the bigger motor. The back deck is perfect for the wife to lay out on, she just pulls up her seat and puts it down by her console. It has definitely fit all our needs.

Some recommendations of things that worked well for me: I upgraded my trolling motor to a 24 volt Motorguide Brute 56lb. The 43 lb 12 volt system was ok for my PC175, but for the wider and heavier 185, I wanted something with a little more meat. It moves the boat around very well, especially in the wind or thick weeds.

The second console is real nice on cool mornings...my next few upgrades will be a bicycle seat on the front with a hydr. pedestal and a bow mounted Garmin 240 (could we do a group buy on that, Ken?).

I think you'll like it, I stayed with a Tracker after learning all my first boat lessons on the PC 175. The 185 answered all my questions and then some.

Have fun with it. (Do I get advertising revenue for this message?)

Thad

TXJ:

I don't own a Pro-Team, but I wanted to share my responses to your questions just to get things rolling.

1.) Stability. The Pro-Team series have a very flat pad in the last half of the boat, and a very pointy bow. To me, this is the best of both worlds. That flat back half is going to make the boat very stable as you stand and move around in it. It will probably shift SOME as you move around, but I would think that it's more like a jon boat than a V-hull.

2.) The Revolution Hull was one of the best changes Tracker made to this series of boats, second only to going all-welded. I wouldn't think you'd have much of a problem handling chop since the new bow design provides more of a wave-cutting edge than older designs. A friend of mine has the Pro-Team 175 and says that it handles moderate chop very well. You do get sprinkled a bit every now and then, but not like a flat-front jon boat!

3.) Gunwale leaks. Yes, potentially the gunwales on the boat can leak a bit of water, but that's what the bilge pump is for.:0) If it's a problem, you can silicone between the gunwales and hull. My TV-18 is constructed the same way, but I haven't seen any water come through this way. I wouldn't worry too much about this issue. TEE will probably disagree with me.

4.) This WILL be a problem. If it was only the boat, you'd be able to fit it into the garage with the swing-away tongue. But add the outboard and you've got to account for at least another foot of length - and that's with the outboard tilted full down. It will depend on your final motor size, but I would try to get an accurate measurement of the total length by measuring a dealer's boat with the tongue folded and an outboard hanging on the back.

5.) Can't answer this one, but I think the new Pro-Team series boats are great bang-for-the-buck. Figure out how to store it, and I think you'll be very happy with your choice.

TXJHawk - first I own a 2000 Rivited Pro Crappie 175, so my comments should apply even more so to the welded wider and LONGER 185. I fish large lakes here in GA and also take my boys (5 and 2) and my wife quite a bit, and fly fish from it too on the rivier (though not lucky yet on the fly rod):

1.) I'm not a big guy in size (5'11" 133lbs, i'm getting FAT Scott!) and have taken friends on the boat biggest going a hair over 300lbs who fished off the back (my rear deck is much smaller then the 185. Yes it swayed a bit as he moved side to side but he never lost his balance or fell in the drink.

2.) I've had mine out in 4 foot chop (Rich - remember last fall on Lanier when we didn't hook up and Jeanne caught her first striper!) and the only time I got wet was taking a wave at the wrong angle going too fast. It does beat your rear more than a glass boat of the same size due to the weight difference, but the Revolution hull is the same on all 175/185 boats regardless of rivited or welded.

3.) Can speak the gunwale leaks on the 185, not a problem on my older 175.

4.) NO Way your going to fit that in your garage. I think the swing away tongue takes about 2 feet off (Craig/Ken??) the length, unless you take up 1/2 the other side. The spec's show that boat w/trailer/motor at 22'2", so i'd guess with the tongue moved to the side your talking at least 20ft with the motor trimmed all the down. I've got a 21ft garage and my 175 (with the 40 Merc) and with OUT the swing tongue trailer fits with an inch to spare if I trim the motor down. I would guess the length would also depend on what motor, I assume the bigger the motor the longer it would be?

5). For me, no question I'd buy it again, i've yet to see a comparable rig in the same price range for my needs.

Thanks for the replies already offered, guys! Excellent info! Many, many apologies, but I meant to ask about the 175, not 185. I'm almost certain the latter won't fit in the garage, but I'm hoping the 175 will. Other than that, I think all the info ya'll have given still applies. Thanks very much and I hope to see more!

OK what motor you planning to put on that 175? By the way, if you want to see all the specs AND the performance numbers for the boat, go to www.trackerboats.com and look under the 175 - Motors section to see how fast each outboard will push you.

Checked the length on the 175 (21'1" w/tongue extended) and I measured my boat trailer and based on the picture you would save just a hair over 2 feet, so right about 19ft it will be close going straight in.

One other thing to consider is the Pro Crappie 175 (I HATE THAT NAME, yup that's me with the crappy boat!) since you've got a toddler and wife. Less space on the rear deck and a little less on the front than the PT 175, but MUCH safer with the little ones on board.

Man, don't you hate it when that happens...

Anyway, just a few thoughts on the 175 vs. 185 or the PC175 (that way I don't have to say "Crappie"). I started with a Pro Crappie and ended with a PT 185.

Storage space: good on 175, great on 185, virtually NONE on PC175. Only a rod locker and under drivers seat.

Stability: PC175 and PT175 both rock left and right, because of the beam width. 185 fixes that VERY well.

Trep is right about safety and the sunken floor on PC175, but you lose so much working space and storage, IMHO.

Trust me, the 185 is a little longer, but if you can fit it in the garage, the extra inches are well worth it. I don't know how one square foot helps so much, but it's unbelievable. (plus you can hang a 90 on it!)

Look long and hard; the reason I bought two boats is because my first choice wasn't as well researched as it should have been. Not that the PC175 is a bad boat, Trepman, but it wasn't what I needed...

Good luck.

Thad

Thad - I can only disagree with 1 of your comments:

Storage space - The PC also has a front compartment standard with 3 plano style 370 boxes, AND if you only have 2 batteries you and use the extra space in the back for storage (I put a plastic crate there to hold tools, spot light, knife...).

But YES of the 3 boats it does have the LEAST space with out a doubt! I do use the 2nd livewell under the passenger seat as a cooler every trip, works GREAT!

Like every purchase everyone has a personal choice. For me i'm taking my boys more and more lately and the safety is a huge factor for me. Now 6-7 years from now, that's a different story.

Not to muddy the waters more, but I REALLY wanted a SuperGuide V-16 but when you added the trolling motor, battery, depth finder and such it cost more than my PC 175 and was almost 1 foot shorter. I like to fish different kinds of water, and when my extended warranty is up salt water too, so a multi spieces but was my ticket to ride. Now if I had just had enough $$ (or more appropriately could have convinced my wife in the VALUE) I would have gone with the 75hp for more SPEED!

Actually, I'm still way up in the air on the motor. My first thought is 40, figuring from my research that it's sufficient to get on plane and still keeps the price down. But then you figure you can go to a 50 for, what, another 800 bucks; then the 60 for another 800, etc etc., and all of a sudden I've spent a heckuva lot more money than need be. I know everyone in the free world says to max out HP, for resale value if nothing else, but then if you put that much more dough in the motor, aren't you gonna have that much more quick depreciation? I was thinking of going at it from a different angle: researching each Merc in the range betw. 40 and 75 and finding out which is most reliable, then going from there. Again, speed is no issue--stability, reliability and safety are.

Then there's the 4-stroke vs 2-stroke issue....man, I thought buying a new truck was tricky!!

I will post in the motor section, but while I've got your experts' ears, what are y'all's thoughts on the motor?

I am NO expert, BUT as a current owner of a 175 with a 40merc here's my take.

First - No matter how many times I read it I do NOT believe that the wider/welded 175 weighs exactly the same as the 2000 rivited/thinner one. SO, if you look at the Motors section on the tracker site i'd say the speeds are a mile or 2 over where they should be. My PC 175 is at least 150lbs (I know that's more than I weigh!) ligher than the spec's on the PT 175. My 40 pushes me to 31 mph (gps'd) by my self on glass smooth water, and 28 with the family an a slight chop. Hops up on plane quickly as long as I don't have my dad or other 250lb guy in the boat LOL.

No reliability problems after 2 1/2 years on the 40, just like everything else can never be happy with what i've got (OK except for my wife and kids, at least till there teenagers!).

No Problem TXJHawk. I too think since they had a Panfish 16 they could have easily called it the Panfish 17 or Panfish 175. I know up north they call them "crappe~" but down here they pronounce it "Crappy". Heck when they called to tell me my boat was rigged and ready the message on the home voice mail was "This is Bass Pro Shops, your Crappy boat is ready to be picked up", I SWEAR!

I'd say on the PC 175 a 50 would push you a hair over 30 with that weight and would be fine. As to handling the little guy, they don't stay little for long. Heck my 2 1/2 yearold wants to go EVERY DAY! But as you said it's a matter of who uses it the most. And when he get's a little older (Mine didn't like wearing the lifejackets, you know the ones with a big pad behind there heads, until they were a little more than 2) and he will LISTEN to you he should stay where you tell him - RIGHT! LOL

Decide on your best fit and Enjoy!

I own a 2001 Pro Team 175. Also with a 40 h.p.. I love the fishability of it, the room, the storage. I have had some issues with Tracker but have long put them behind me and went on. I've done alot of small projects to make life more convenient on the water (aux.lights in storage, storage racks, rod holders etc.). I for the most part am fishing by myself. It is plenty of room for one guy. I've added things for a partner to make things easier for them.

BUT, if I had to do it over again. I think I would have gotten the Pro Team 185. A foot longer and still more storage. I think the 175 is very stable, the 185 is not any more stable, the width is the same. I'm going to hold on to the 175 for awhile. It is more than enough for me to fish from.

Yeah, I've seen some of the troubles you've had in previous posts, TEE, and I don't blame you one iota for bein' po'd. Then again, I've seen posts where you do speak favorably of your boat. I've looked at Xpress closely...they clearly make an excellent boat, but I've heard their response to customer problems can be rather lacking, or at best slow, but I also hear they're in the middle of a management change of some sort, so maybe that will improve. And there's little doubt, judging from posts on other sites, that Xpress has SERIOUS trailer issues. I've also heard the Trail Star trailers that come in the Tracker package are pretty lame...I do NOT understand why companies would put together such nice boats and then give you crap to tow them on. Kinda hard to get that nice boat to the water without the dern trailer...Anyway, thanks for your input! Xpress is definitely high on my list, probably either the X54 or the X17, still not sure on the motor HP but I'd seriously consider Yammie over Merc if I went with Xpress. I wish Tracker offered a Yammie, but I'm sure the deal they have with Merc goes a long way in keeping prices down.

I always heard you shouold put atleast 75% of the max hp on the back of the boat. I would also try to find a 3 cyl motor for the smother idle. Its not as quick out of the hole but so much smoother. Just my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Back