Aerator Pump Repalcement Caution

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Newman

Reaction score
Just thought I would throw out a comment on something I found out the hard way recently. My Rule cartriage livewell pump broke off at the fitting that the hose to the live well connects to. How I do not know how because I have never putz around in that area to break it myself, but one day I noticed water in the bottom of the boat and it turned out that it had snapped off and the boat was filling up as if the plug was left out.

Stopped by at the local tracker dealer(not where I bought my boat because I don't trust them) to get a replacement pump and they said tracker now uses Hayward pumps and sold me the model listed in their system. After much effort and a few bruises on my arms I finally got it changed out and took it out to the lake. Guess what it does not prime. After looking at it for awhile I figured out what was wrong. I have a 2003 175PT which has the black control valve on the bottom of the pump so that it both fills/aerates the lifewell and then gravity drains when done. Problem is that the replacement pump sits about an inch or so above the original equipment one so with just myself in the boat and a 1/4 tank of gas the back end is too high to prime the pump. After playing around a while I figured out that if I go backwards a 10-20 yards that will force the water up into the pump and it will prime and then I am ok, but will not do it just sitting there. I even went to the back of the boat to put more weight there. Most frustrating is that I will briuse my arms up agagin when I swap this one out after I buy an exact Rule replacement of the internet.

Only other solution I can think of is to buy a lot more equipment, rod/reels, etc to lower the boat in the water. Unfortunately, my wife isn't necesarily following my logic on that direction.

Anyone with this set-up needs to be careful if the have to replace the original pump. Any other comments or ideas.

You can find good deals on the Rule Pumps/Cartridges on Ebay right now... there is a "Tracker" Dealer... normally sells them for about 15$ apiece... both the straight and the angled ones.

Another thing to make sure of is that the cartridge is seated well... if it's not, it'll leak too.

I replaced mine with the replacable cartridge Rule pump and never have looked back. If it gets clogged....snap,twist and snap back in and your done!:cool:

Happened to me too while fishing a tournament. I thought the live well was running. Then my auto bilge pump took off. I was able to plug the fitting with a mad man craw worm and fish the rest of the day.

Latest posts

Back