3-d fishfinder!

• Thread starter Michael Snow [URL]http://www.humminbird.com/produc
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snowman,

I have one. It is awesome. You can see everything. You can follow channels, see the size of rocks and stumps, I don't know how I managed without it. I just got it late last year, but can't wait to try it over deep weed edges.

Of course the first time I saw a giant school of bait fish on it, it scared the ****e out of me! Looked like I was ready to beach my boat on a big ole rock or somthing!!

Rich D

If you think this is something, take a look at some of the 900 series Humminbirds, and the side imaging technology.

Tex

I just got the 947C and the 987C and will be putting them in when I get my boat from the marine storage next week. I will let you know how it looks.

Bill, The Mad Kayaker

I've looked at the side-imaging ones, and I just can't manage to get my mind around it. I have this square (the unit itself) that I can't relate directionally to what I'm seeing. If I laid the unit (face up) parallel to the boat, would I be looking at what's underneath me or what? I just can't "visualize" how to read the darned thing.

(Don't worry though, I suspect I'll have the same issue with the 3d one).

I had the same thought about that side view one Mike...I saw the ad in the magazines and I keep thinking...this really should look like something but I sure can't figure it out! I imagine once I saw it in person it would make a lot more sense but those ads left me scratching my head. Of course it could just be me.....

From what the product rep said to me before I purchased it, you are looking straight down on either side of the boat 20' back. You can show either port, starboard or both on the screen.

If it helps, once I get it and run it a few times, I will make a .mov file and put it in my library so you can see it. Let me know if you want me to do that.

Bill, The Mad Kayaker

Bill - that would be fantastic - I would love to have that type of feature on the site -- readings from different finders in .mov format!

david

Hey Greg, can you explain the 3d to me? Looking at the picture, I know that the 3 things I can't read are fish and depths. I assume fish can be turned off. Anyway, at the bottom right is (a number)? What does that represent?

Also, looking at the far right, I assume that the center of that line (current position reading) is the transducer, so that elevation I see on the top is to the left of my boat. What is the number at the top of the cone (upper right hand corner of screen)?

prmatrix47_photo.gif

Thanks Greg, that clears it up for me on the side view imaging.....very cool.

Mike,

In response to your questions:

Yes, the fish ID can be turned off. You will see the raw blips or arches.

The numbers on the right is the upper and lower depth range. The top number is 0 the bottom whatever your depth is. In a 2-d view there will be additional range increments.

In the picture in the upper right increment is a tiny picture of a boat that represents the boat. This view can be adjusted. You can have it reading right to left, or you can move the boat to top center and the readout will scroll from top to bottom or anything in between. The angle shown is a good one because the read out is close to what you would be used to, but the angle shows the bottom detail.

Rich D

Okay, I got one more question. First, I'm glad to see they still have the tilt/pivot base AND the quick disconnect features.

Going back to http://www.humminbird.com/products.asp?ID=492#Features Click on "unit details" just under the picture of the unit. That pops up another screen. Click the fourth down, left side. This shows 3d/2d split. Is this an accurate picture (as in wasn't two pictured edited together)? If so, why does the 3d view not show the tree (or baitfish or brush pile) that the 2d view shows? The fish are all still in the right spot, but the 3d view shows only the bottom, no cover on it. Or, is that exactly what it's supposed to do?

Also, I see no listing in the specs saying it has an MMC slot, nor does the GPS antenna list having an MMC slot, but I know that at least the 900 series will use Navionics maps on MMC. If there is no MMC slot, how much RAM is there?

That I can't answer. I have seen stumps and cribs on the 3-d side, but haven't had it out when there is weed growth or anything like submerged timber. You can split the screen like that though. That is how I normally use it.

This unit does not use the MMC cards nor does the antennae itself.

Rich D

Mike, I'm no expert on Humminbird, but here is my take on it -

1. The Matrix 47-3D does not take MMC cards otherwise there would be a tray in the front.

2. The 3D won't show trees or shrubs or loose structure as it is only trying to calculate and represent the hard bottom structure. If the stuff on the right in the 2D view is a baitfish ball, then perhaps the sensitivity is set too low on the 3D side.

What do you think? Bill, The Mad Kayaker

I have seen bait fish balls on the 3-d, so I know it shows them. I just don't know about trees....

I guess we will have to wait for the expert.

Rich, go park your boat next to a tree and see if the 47 sees it :). My Lowrance couldn't even find the floor in my garage.

Your Lowrance sounds alot like my old Eagles.You could see bottom,and that's it!!

My new Matrix 37 sees everything.For the first time last week I saw half arches coming off the bottom,drifted over them and caught fish.

Latest posts

Back