225 EFI throttle cable

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My shifter cable broke, I had a shop replace it. When they were in there they went ahead and changed the throttle cable as well. Now, after I shift it into gear the first inch or so of throttle is very stiff and hard to advance. It all seems to work, but was never this stiff. Is this normal with new cables? Or do I need to be worried before I take my boat out onto Lake of the Woods?

The boat is a Targa 2000 with a Merc 225 EFI.

Thanks for any help.

It is NOT normal for the cables to be "stiff"...if anything the action should be much easier! The shop did not adjust {or mis-adjusted} the shift cable and throttle cable pre-load .....or....the cables could be incorrect in length, routing, or even zip-tied wrong. It CAN lead to control box failure long term. Bring it back.....;)

Thank You Bob. That is what I was afraid of. It is easy to push down after that first inch or so of throttle, but like I said that first inch is really stiff.

The mechanic really complained about how tough it is to get in there. I think the labor was around 5 hours.

Latest posts

Back