96 200 EFI Mag. Mariner

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren Wilkes

Reaction score
I am having problems with this old motor not making power. (0G181047) It will not bring my 2004 Nitro 898 on plane and turns only 3000 rpm under load. pegs tach on muffs no load. It doesn't seem to miss, just lugs hard. It has a Tempest 25" prop and is set on a 6 inch jackplate (raised all the way up......should be blowing the prop but not). I have good compression on all clys. Cables are pulling throttle open completely. I have changed out the fuel lines, cleaned the fuel system. The pressure on the high (elec)pump is 30 psi.

I had this engine on a Basscat P-II and it would plane out if my partner moved forward to break over the bow. Once on plane it ran mid 60's. This is the same prop that every P-II 200hp has stock. I look at them on the ramps.....lol

I think I need to start at ground zero and troubleshoot all over.

Oh I replaced a bad voltage regulator. Keep in mind I got this engine used and someone had taken off the automatic oil injection system. I mix the fuel 50-1 non ethanol and use Seafoam.

What am I overlooking that make it seem like I have a 50 hp on take off ?

Did you replace BOTH regulators or just the one? (always replace both at the same time) and never ever REV your motor on muffs past 1500 rpm - very bad for your motor - a sure way to blow it when there's no back pressure on it and even then you don't want to do that. Gear must be engaged. But I will pass on trying to help any further than this other than my suggestion is to post this same info on the BBC Mercury forum so Don Weed from European Marine can give you his expert advice.

Latest posts

Back