2012 Tracker Targa

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin stewart

Reaction score
Continue to have problems trailering my Targa and see the need for trailer guides. Hard to beleive that tracker would sell a boat of this size and not include the trailer guides on the trailer? Any suggestions on where to order the trailer guides and how did you mount them on the trailer?

I too am having problems with my new Targa 18WT. The main reason I believe they didn't add bunks is because of the total trailer/boat width of 102". Which is the DOT maximum road running width. I have continued to fight the loading of my boat. I have determined the only way to add bunks is to make them yourself (welding them yourself or welding shop). A piece of angle iron 2" x 4" x about 5" is your base. Then 2" x 2" tubing for the supports. These would be welded to the base at the right angle. Then the base would be bolted to the inside of the trailer frame. You could use a single or a double depending on the length desired. I bought a pair of 5' pre-made adjustable ones and they won't work. I also tried a Boat Buddy with some success but the boat comes with the wrong bow eye to work properly. Good luck!

He's saying he can't add that kind because of the max width.

Adding bunks to the center of the trailer will also aid in centering when loading.

Did you mean loading from the water to trailer or trailering(traveling)?

I have the 2012 Targa 18 wt. and I will confess, its not the easiest boat to put on the trailor. I think Tracker should have added the side bunks to the trailor from the factory. I also believe that the trailor should be a tandem axel. I don't need side bunks to load mine, however, I can see that if I ever need to load in a strong current I may have some issues.

Here's a list of side bunks that may help. Just copy and paste the link into your browser.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/boating-boating-trailer-accessories-guide-ons-bunks/_/N-1100650/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104366880?WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104794380%3Bcat104781780

For what it's worth, I've got the 2011 targa 18WT, and i've found that if i back the trailer in, so the fenders are just covered by water, I can bring the boat about 3/4 of the way on to the trailer, connect the winch strap and pretty easily bring the boat the rest of the way on to the trailer. I fish alone fairly often so I have a routine down to load the boat myself and this seems to work pretty well for me. --Brian

I have a 07 Tundra which isn't quite as wide but I have issues sometimes. I do what Brian says. Works good but when the water is cold and you have to stand in the water to get to the winch that's not good. Also the boat trailers so low on the trailer I really have to have the lower unit up high to keep from dragging on the ramp.

Two guys is a big plus but I fish mostly alone so I'm in the same boat as Brian.

fatrap

I hear from alot of people that have trouble loading there boats. Most of the problems are from them trying to put the trailer to deep in the water. Brian and Fatrap are doing it right. Most of them are trying to line up the bow roller and the winch strap and thats too deep. And then the boat isn't lined up on the trailer when they pull out.

I got a set of guides from Cabelas that mount on the rear cross frame, easy to adjust and work well to guide on the trailer. Run about $130.00

kevin,

I have a 2007 Tracker Targa 175, maybe not as long but I believe has the same beam. When I load my boat onto the trailer, I back it into the water until the rear rollers are approx 3" out of the water and then drive the boat onto the trailer. A "little" motor help is needed to get the boat close to the front roller. If the rear vertical rollers are submerged, obviously the boat will drift out of allingnment. Good luck:)

Hey Jeff & Fattrap,,,,,,,Since yall have Tracker Targas that have been seasoned for a few years, Could yall give us with newer Targas owners a report of the boat? Is there any complaints? things to look out for? things to make sure you need to do? problems occuring? etc........

Give us your run down of the rig.

Bow Tech Guy.

I have a Tundra not a Targa but close enough. Tundra's aren't made anymore.

Con's My complaints are mainly that Tracker puts the cheapest interior parts/carpeting/ fixtures that it can possibly find. My boat is an 07 and the carpet is coming up on the main deck. I had to pull the floor drain up and push new carpet glue as far as I could with a yardstick in the opening. The stick came back with particles of rotten black carpet backing. I now have bought a turkey injector to finish the job when I get my boat back from Tracker on Optimax cooling issues. My friend has a new Targa with a vinyl floor wish I had one. The compartment latches are constantly coming loose and out of sequence so you have to tighten the nut and retime locking lever so you can lock the compartment. The trim around one of my windshields has a adheasive backing and is curling back. My boat has a built in cooler under the port side glove box the lid and latch are of the quality of a child's toybox. So are the keys. IT IS NOT A BASSBOAT. I can fish it as one. I have a pro seat and foot controlled trolling motor but your not going to lip a bass unless your have arms longer than a NBA pro. It catches wind and is far less manuverable using the electric for instance staying on a windy point and throwing cranks. The steering without hydraulics suck. It's a pig to handle next to the dock. I bought a collaspable boat hook problem solved.

POSITIVE SIDE

Too bad they don't make the Tundra Hull anymore. It is the dryest/smoothest ride out there. It run 52mph gps with the 150 optimax and two guys. Time and again I come in with the carpet dry and other boats are running bliges and riders are soaked. I've had guides using the #1 top walleye boat out there come over and rub my dry carpet and shake their heads and walk off. My seats have back support which in rough water long hauls( A 10 miler is a short hop on SD reservoirs)is great NO stiff back. A Tundra is diffcult to tell from a glass boat. Lots of fooled people. It's a very good looking boat. My lifewells have never had a dead walleye that entered healthy I suspose it would work well for stump carp also but I try and avoid "rough fish". Recently had salmon in there too. I've had zero electrical issues. I have a walk through windshield that meshes perfectly and evenly a sometime problem on tin walk throughs and believe my days of bug eating are forever finished. Hugely warmer ride on the cold days. Gobs of storage. I forget where stuff is and have it wrote on a notepad. Lots of legroom. I started out with some winch alignment problems with the trailer but with that solved the trailer brakes, tire/frame alignment winch, lights are spot on and it trails behind my Powerstroke like it's part of the beast. Do I like it. I guess so. Would I buy it again. Probably but they'd have to have put in a vinyl foor and cheap locks would have to go.

My buddy hasn't broke his Targa yet and he can break a ball bearing so thats a positive.

fatrap
Tundra.jpg

Latest posts

Back