2005 Classic

• Thread starter William H. (Bill) Barham
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William H. (Bill) Barham

Reaction score
So, it's KVD again and I'm glad because he's a Nitro guy but geeezzzz I feel sorry for Aaron Martens.

I have also decided I DO NOT like Iaconelli. Ok, the yelling gets under my skin but I can take that. But watching him get beeped a few times today for him saying the "F" word.. Nah, I don't need him.

Bill

Greg called this morning as he was packing. So tough to be so close to the last day and miss it by so little. But he said he had a great time, got to meet several members and thanks to everyone for pulling for him.

BF

Congrats to KVD! I have always been a fan of his.

I have always and still F(beep)N like Iaconelli. :p (No disrespect Bill) I think he has done a lot more positive for the sport than negative. As far as the language...it doesn't bother me. I am from the North East though ;) . If I was in the biggest tournament of my life and something detrimental happened, I might let a few slip too.

On the other hand...

Ok, maybe he shouldn't use the stage to sell his book, but it doesn't make me not like him. And the book is excellent by the way!

Language like laconelli on national TV is exactly what is wrong with this world of today. He is a leader in our downfall from Grace. Congrats KVD and Greg, Greg maynot have won but I am as proud of him as I am KVD!:):):):):):)

Bruce,

I got to meet Greg today at the show.Great guy and still had a huge smile on his face.:D

He was talking to my buddie's young son about converting him from a walleye fisherman to a bass fisherman.

The whole drive home he talked non-stop about wanting to go to California to fish for the big bass that Greg talked about.:rolleyes:

He did a great job,and accomplished what most of us can only dream about.

Steve

WAY TO GO KEVIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got to meet KVD this year at Bassmaster University. Super cool guy, talked to him for a little while. I was also told that he "drops by" the OKC Bass Pro while travelling...hopefully he'll be driving through Oklahoma soon!

Also, WAY TO GO GUTZ!!!!!!!

IKE, a lot of ppl dont like him because he's wierd. He's good, but he's wierd. I also met him at the University, he's alright...I have mixed emotions about him. I'm not a huge fan of his by any means...

BJ

WAY TO GO KEVIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got to meet KVD this year at Bassmaster University. Super cool guy, talked to him for a little while. I was also told that he "drops by" the OKC Bass Pro while travelling...hopefully he'll be driving through Oklahoma soon!

Also, WAY TO GO GUTZ!!!!!!!

IKE, a lot of ppl dont like him because he's wierd. He's good, but he's wierd. I also met him at the University, he's alright...I have mixed emotions about him. I'm not a huge fan of his by any means...

BJ

Not gonna' brag....but, I called KVD!:lol: He da' man:cool:

What a great time....

Awesome facility, great tournament.....Michigan Rules Again :)

I also picked KVD....and Martens to finish second....

Mini

OK Mini....

How am I going to do in my tournament tonight???

lol

az

Looked like he was a roll with predicting TEE...

If I'm not the winner tonight, I might just stay home!

LOL

az

What I thought was interesting about the Classic is Skeet Reese:blink:...WTF was up with that hair? Did he dye it thinking he would win and look a little brighter?

That's one guy that's full of himself...allmost bad as Velvick:lol::p

Some of his comments on "The Greatest Angler Debate" was uncalled for and very un-intelligent:angry:

One thing that all of us should remember, that if you do not promote yourself - no one else will. Some do it one way, others another.

Let's face it, none of them are 'employees', but rather all self-employed contractors - with no actual contract. You need 'face time on the tube' or in the public, to help your sponsors. If you get 45 more seconds because you have a belt that electronically says - 'Never give up', or hair that we can all spot 100 yards away - that's a good thing for them.

If you can't win with a prototype lure, you can certainly draw attention to it - as Ike did. I'm sure that Berkley absolutely loved that comment/plug.

For me personally, I have enough trouble catching keeper bass these days. Don't want to be on a system that produces so many 11 15/16" fish! Had to feel sorry for Martens, as one more keeper probably would have done it for him. And it certainly looked like he had it on his line yesterday, but didn't get it in the boat.

Obviously, there is a combination of circumstances that go into 'where' the Classic will be fished. While Pittsburgh did a great job (by all accounts), and they had great crowds, those type of conditions really don't play well. I also wouldn't want it to be somewhere where virtually everyone shows up with a limit, and there is only 1 lb between 1st and 25th. When you have it like that, then luck plays a huge factor.

I thought coverage was good, but not great. That has a lot to do with the distances that they had to cover on a river system. Last year on Wylie, everything was fairly close, which made coverage much easier. Also, I believe that the pro's moved quite a bit this past weekend, which also makes it difficult.

Tex

I still like Ike, but I must admit that I could do without the foul language. I'm no prude and have been know to let a word or two fly before. As far as him pimping his book and dvd, like Texas Transplant said, if he doesn't promote his stuff, no one else will.

All of that said, if Walker or Ike couldn't win, I'm glad KVD did.

Steve

Yeah but, c'mon....Ike got more air time than KVD did just about. And talk about a "big head" I mean Geez...self promtion is one thing but, arrogance is another. I just cringed when I heard Ike....:angry:

I like Kevin so I am glad he won.

I found the Classic to be very dull. I feel like Bass fishing is finally being promoted at the level it should be and this year's classic would be key to attracting more people. To have it on a river in a part of the country where people do not go crazy over bass fishing was a big mistake. People want to see lunkers not barely keeper fish just as in auto racing they want to see speed and crashes. I was quite disappointed in the size of the fish and felt like people who are not true fishing enthusiasts probably lost interest very quickly. I realize part of the sport is the challenge but when you are trying to promote your sport you have to give the people what they want....big ole fish.

Just my 2 cents.

Pennsylvania is the 5th largest state for BASS memberships, Allegheny county has the 2nd largest number of registered boat owners in the Nation. They had some of the largest crowds ever at the events. We go plenty crazy for bass fishing.

One thing everyone seems to be overlooking is that there are big fish in the rivers. Not 8, 10 or 12 lb large mouth, but plenty of 3, 4 and a few 5 and 6 lb bass. The last fish commission survey on the rivers showed the average length around 15 3/4 inches. Not huge, but better than what was being brought in.

We have had low water all year, and the current is very sluggish, but the fact of the matter is that the guys just didn't find/connect the bigger fish.

Rich D

Agree Rich....The Ohio is usually the big producer as far as weights and the fish are just not there:eek:

Plus,..the best areas in the system for bigger fish were "off limits" for the Pro's due to the locks involved in getting there!

Mac,

Do you know of anyone fishing right below the dams? One thing we used to do during low water was get as close as allowed to the outflow, then chuck cranks or 3/4 to 1 oz jigs with a 4" grub, and swim them back. The good thing about this (for us anyway) is that it caught bass, walleye and the occassional catfish!

By the way, it was great meeting you and Mini! Did you guys hit the strip Sat night?

Rich D

My hats off to Aaron also...dude looked to me like he took it pretty hard:(

Also loved it when that smug Swindle was removed from his throne by non other than the man himself....KVD:lol::p

While I'm not up there, and don't have any first hand experience with it, I'd challenge the comment . . .

Not 8, 10 or 12 lb large mouth, but plenty of 3, 4 and a few 5 and 6 lb bass.

Since the largest fish caught over 3 days, with 47 of the best bass fisherman in the land fishing, was less than 3lbs . . . .

If there was 'plenty' of 3, 4 and 5 lb bass there, someone would have caught at least 1 of them. But, I guess it depends upon your definition of 'plenty'.

Also remember, that the Classic venue is in great regards held where a city will put up the money that is needed. Charlotte wanted it back this year, and for the most part was 'outbid' by Pittsburgh.

Tex

RichD......no..we didn't hit the strip...we went out with the owner and VP of American Rodsmiths and got a pizza,...then back to the Fish Market where we hooked up with a shooter from BPS and we stayed there until 1am!! LOL. Man...I had a blast there...PA was awesome!!:wub:

I am sure money had the most to do with it coming here, no argument there, but I can guarantee you if there were only 10-13" fish in the rivers, no amount of money would have convinced them to have it here.

I think Steve R mentioned earlier, the day after the practice week ended there was a tournament on the rivers and the winning weight was just under 12lbs. That was a one day bag weight, almost what KVD did in three.

They were fishing tough waters in tougher conditions and tried to find the bass in traditional spots. We just grow some non-traditional fish!

Rich D

Glad you liked it Mac!

I really enjoyed hearing all the positive comments about the city. So much I take for granted impressed people from out of town.

Mini made a comment that still has me chuckling, when he described driving into town, he commented that all he could see was "a mountain" then he went around the bend and bam there was the skyline. I never considered that mountain more than a small hill, but that is one of my favorite views coming into the city, because all of a sudden it is just there!

Rich D

Yeah,..we really liked it,...and the overwhelming majority of EVERYBODY I talked to really liked it. I heard very very few negative comments (from people who were actually THERE,..LOL) and most of them revolved around the small fish and NOT the city or the people or the venue's....that was a slam dunk success!! I'd go back in a heartbeat!!

Here's my take and it's real simple - Its a contest period. The best person at that time and in the location had the luck/skills/capability to find the winning fishies. Would it be cool if it big fish each day was 10+ lbs, SURE!! And if bags of 5 fish in the 20+ lbs - WOO HOO!!

But, it doesn't mater to me on size, I think to be honest it was a GREAT (as a internet spectator) contest - some HUGE famous pro's getting ZERO fish on 1 of the 3 days, some guys hitting 20-30-40 fish in a day with none or 1 keeper. That makes it REAL interesting!!!

Also makes me feel better as a weekend angler getting skunked or a few short fish, to know on a tough lake/river they have to work too!!

I wish I could have been up there on the water or in the weigh-in.

Okay, another slant on the TV time.

First, Mike I. has been ESPN/BASS poster boy for the last several years. Obviously, they are getting much mileage from it. However, here is another - possible slant on why KVD didn't get more air time.

PAA activities.

Stranger things have happened.

Tex

No, I wasn't there so I will give you that but I did watch some of it on TV.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'd rather go fishing, so I did.

:p

LUCK yes I believe in luck

L- location

U- understanding the fishery

C- cast controll

K- knowledge of the fish

I Must Thank K V D for the great windfall....He's a good guy and an asset to fishing and someone Kids should look up to ,Not the ones they seem to admire....JR

OK, Last comment(for me) on this years Classic. This is my take now that the deal is done. The 12 lb local was probably 10 fish? The week before the open practice 3 day total was under 4 lbs? This is what I heard from the people that live there. I know there was an issue or two about water rights... I won't go there. Greg and I were boarded by the coast gaurd for saftey reasons (read quota) But all in all I liked the area, loved the sites, I think I posted this before but the people that live there are great. Like anyplace else you have a few buttheads but not as many as I expected. It's tough there, everything looks so good you don't know where to stop. But yes the best waters where off limits. Like the areas below the dams/locks.

you had to treat the no boating area like a brick wall. You were not allowed to stay behind the signs and cast in. That would have changed the whole game. We watched some locals pull some nice fish from those areas........

In closeing Pittsburgh is a great place, it was a good and level tournament. KVD won, congrats, he proved again he is the best of the best this time. What did I learn? You think this post is long wait until I tell you what I learned from Greg.

(In the scheme of life, it's only a game)

BF

I too will end it with this, because like Bruce said, it is in the books.

I did not know that they couldn't cast in the dam areas. That would have changed everything. Those areas really get going for walleye in January-February!

But now that they got all those sissy bass stirred up, I am going to have to put in a couple evenings trolling for some real fish!!

I have also included a link for the results of the tourney right after the practice.

Rich D
http://www.kbass.com/regatta/regatta-results.htm

Hey, I had a great time at the Classic, good to see Mac and Sue again and I got to meet Mini. I missed Greg at the show, but seen him weigh in. I'm ready for Toho. Later <>< <>< <>< <>< <><> Jack

It was good too see you too again Jack!! Man, your Grand son is getting big!! LOL

There were a LOT of NTOWS'rs there,....myself, Mini, KB, SueD, Rich D, Steve R.,Jeff F... Gutz & Jack from Columbia,......did I miss anybody else??...sure was GREAT to see (and meet) everyone again.

I was soooo stoked when I saw KVD win it on TV....I had gotten home @ 615pm and the weigh-in was still going on......when he came over to the BPS booth Friday pm and talked to RichD and me for awhile,...he told me he hadn't caught a fish OVER 2lbs yet,..not even when he was there practicing several weeks before!! He knew it was going to be a close one, and he predicted 17lbs to win it...he also told us, he likes it like that,..."you're never out of it,....one good fish can win it for you!" ;)

Mac

Bruce,Rich,

I don't know why in the world BASS made the rule that they couldn't cast past the boueys below the dams.I thought it was strange when I read about it.You can legally do it,so it was all BASS' doing...Very strange rule indeed.

I alos heard Pa. was going to waive the Big Bass Regulations for the upper sections of the Allegheny River,and Bass said no special treatment.

I also read the boundry for the Yough River was only one mile up the river,yet I saw guys at least five miles up there:unsure:.

Although I did notice it looked like they moved the boueys a little closer to the dams than they normally are.

Again,I had a blast and everyone involved put on a great show.Hopefully we will get a tourney in the future.:)

Steve

Mac,

You should have went down to Casey's beer house saturday night for Midget Madness.

$10 buys everyone along the bar a shot...Everybody tilts back their heads,then Man-Boy comes out of his box at the end of the bar,walks down the bar,and starts dumping booze into their open mouths.

Not very P.C.,but it sure is a hoot,And a Pittsburgh tradition.

mid1.jpg

Also just wanted to say it was great to see Mac and Sue at the show. It was great to have the Classic here at home.

Latest posts

Back