Z6 info needed

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason J.

Reaction score
Has anyone put a mercury 135 hp opti on their Z6. I have an 08 and was thinking of putting one on but was wondering if anyone had any issues that need to be considered. I.E. should I add a jack plate and do I need a remote oil tank, or anything else I might need.

Go straight to 150. Nitro raised the HP limit on the 08 Z6's to 150 but you need to call customer service for the upgraded Coast Guard limits label.

I had thought about the 150, but have you seen one run. Looks very drag boat like with almost none of the hull in the water.

P.S. I could not believe all you have to do is ask and presto changeo new limit plate:wacko:

BPS (Tracker) took the 115 Opti off my 08 Z6 and installed a new 135 Opti on it. They also changed out the Coast Guard tag. BPS then sold the boat. I think the Z6 would make a great rig with the 135, the only reason I didn't opt for it was the potential insurance and resale/trade-in issues with the boat.

Why would you have any issuses? Nitro will recertify any Z6 to a 150 if asked. They had a 150 rating until 2008. The 482 which is the same boat even had the 150 rating in 2008. I think they changed the rating because it was faster then the Z7 with a 150 and people would not look at a Z7 when they could buy a Z6 and get the same performance. Nitro just does not send out a sticker. They also note the change on there end so if anyone would check Nitro would be able to confirm. I was told by the Nitro rep the boat has better balance with the larger motors in the back which helps with some of the leaning problems some have.

Just go confirmation today, they will be hanging a 150 opti on my 08 Z6. All I have to add is a remote oil tank and duel cable steering. should be running in the high 60mph range in no time.:lol:

X2 on the Hydro steering, good advice.

Issues could be 1) God forbid an accident occurred that was my fault and someone was injured badly. Now days things go to court way more than they used to and wouldn't an opposing lawyer love to find out the boat had a motor on it that exceeded the rating the boat had when it left the factory. I understand that Tracker would be involve in that scenario, but personally I wouldn't want any part of it. 2) Every blue book, repair manual and brochure lists the 08 Z6 at 130hp max. Having a 135 or 150 has a potential of being an issue with a prospective buyer down the road or at trade in time. 3) When I insured my boat with State Farm I remember them specifically asking me what the max HP on the boat was, I of course told them 130. I would certainly want to tell them I have a new larger motor and it might be an issue. Even if it wasn't I didn't want to risk a claim down the road where this would become a issue. IMO Insurance company's love to find reasons to deny claims.

I'm not saying any of these worst case scenarios are likely to happen. They were just things that crossed my mind when I was deciding if putting a 135 on my boat was the right thing to do. In the end I ended up moving up to a Z7.

With all due respect to the "Nitro Rep" the extra weight of the larger motor has little to do with solving the leaning issue. The different gearcase design of the 2.5L Opti (vs the gearcase design of the 1.5L Opti) is what solves the issue.

Please post your results, I'd really be interested to know how you like the 150 on your Z6, I think it will be a great rig.

Over on BBC there are a few guys with 482's running 150's and getting about 64mph. The 482 is the same boat as the Z6 and never had the HP limit lowered. I will be installing my motor this weekend. I can not see any problems installing a motor within the HP range set by Nitro.

John are you putting on a 150 hp, if so what tank are you using for the oil and are you going to put on a jack plate?

I currently have 3 batteries / charge and power pole pump in rear. I think I will need to move a battery back up front. I will post pics this weekend when I figure out where everything is going. I do have a 6'' manual slidemaster JP.

Latest posts

Back