Z-6 handling issues

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom zimmer

Reaction score
I purchased my Z-6 the 1st of the yr. I've only had it out 3 times. I have not been real happy with how it handles. By the way it's rigged with a 115 Optimax. I've owned two other boats prior but this is my 1st glass bass boat. these are my issue; vibrates at slow speed, hole shot not good, and worst problem is it leans to the right while driving at normal speeds.

It came with a 21P stainless prop, currentely have 19P alum. but have a new 19 stainless in the box if I like the 19p. I've noticed the Z-6 comes rigged with all different size props. from 16 to 21p. My biggest issue is the boat leans to the right after I'm up to speed, it does this with or w/o a passenger. Not sure what to do, this can't be normal. Any one else with Z-6 I would really appreciate your input. By the way I currently drive the boat on a lake that has 5,000 ft. elevation. I know this will effect the prop but not the leaning to the right.

thank

tom

do you have the regualr cable steering on that thing? thats how my old Champ was it would pull hard to the right, but with the new steering in my Nitro I can take my habds off the wheel and it stays straight, the only way yours would do that I would think cuz its cable steering, The vibration I also get in my 189 with a 200HP opti at slow speeds, I think thats an insulation factor or maybe the way the stringers are designed that it allows sound and vibration to travel thru the whole rig, anyway i don't notice mine anymore, you'll get used to it, as far as the hole shot, I'm not sure on that model but whats the max HP? If your way under you will always have an issue with that, plus your prop size

Tom,

On the vibration issue, thats actually a somewhat common thing. At slow speeds sometimes the prop will be slipping and that can cause vibration some do it worse then others. When i had my 882 for instance the prop would always vibrate badly at low speed until i had it blueprinted. I could feel and hear it slip and grab if i tried to run really slow.

The holeshot could be a few issues, you mentioned you are at high altitude. You may need to pitch down the prop some. The motor could also be mounted too low and that will hurt the holeshot as well.

The lean thing i dont think thats normal at all. Most boats will lean a little if your alone but once trimmed out they will straighten out. With two people it should not be doing that at all. Are you trimming the boat out when your up to speed? If not that could be the lean issue, otherwise i wonder if they mounted the motor crooked?

Tom, you can do two things that have worked for me in the past.

1. Go to a 4 blade prop. Will lose a little top end, most likely a better start but will all but eliminate the pull to the right.

2. Get hydraulic steering as suggested above.

Both have worked for me in the past.

My TV-18 has a 115 with no pull what so ever.

Goo dluck with it!

Randy!

Thanks for the feed back so far, just want to make myself clear re. lean. The steering isn't pulling to the right, the boat leans to the right. This is a very uncomfortable feeling going 35 to 40 with the steering wheel straight and the boat leans significantly to the right. This doesn't seem right, I'm about to bring the boat back.

thanks

tom

To use a correct nutical terminology...he means LISTING to the starboard side. With two people and trimmed out it should not list. If you are trimmed in most boats will list to the starbord side.

I have a 2006 482 (a Z-6 before the name change) with a 150 Optimax, and I was having the same listing problem as well. Trimming it out more solved it for me. I also noticed this phenomenon when I was coming off plane into idle speed. If I start trimming the motor in about half-way through deceleration, that seems to do the trick.

Related question - why did they change the max HP on the Z-6 anyway? My 482 will go 61 (GPS), and it is quite stable on plane, even in rough water. Was it economics?

Sean

Your outboard prop shaft is a RH rotation which will make every small hull pull or list to the right. The torque tab can help a little, but planing out and trimming is the way to overcome.

I have the Z6 with the same 115 OPT I purchased in April of this year. I went out this weekend by myself and noticed that when I was running less than 40mph it had a slight "list to port" but when I pushed the throttle up a little it flattened right out. I had engine problems about the third time I took it out and promptly took it back to Bass Pro Shop. I explained that it was slow coming out of the hole and was only getting 46 mph top speed, probably due to the engine problem(bad air compressor). After fixing the engine, they took it out on the water to test the engine. Anyway, when I got the boat back, it had a 20P 3 blade SS prop. It jumps out of the hole but only gets 51 mph GPS, odometer reads 53. I haven't noticed any excessive vibrations.

And thanks Sean, When I come off plane the boat seems to lean sideways, I will try trimming down quicker.

Tom, It did not cost me anything, the boat is still under warrenty, like yours. It may be worth a try.

Please notice he is at 5,000 feet above sea level. Prop choice is a factor also. Also that he has had it out only 3 times. You all talked me through seat time when I bought my off brand boat (Champion) So as you have many before help him out.

Thank You

BF

At 5K elevation, you'll want to make sure the dealer calibrated your ECU for it. Your onboard programming should be adjusted for the high altitude. On carbed engines, we'd switch out the intake and exhaust jets (52-54) for desired performance with thin air. The Opti's injection/aspiration are adjusted throught the ECU, generally before delivery. Good luck!

Thanks for all the responses; I had some success, changed the thrust tab, it was adjusted slightly to the left, I adjusted it slightly to the right, trimmed the motor more then I've ever have prior. At 35-40 mph the boat ran perfectly balanced. Only thing I still need to do is move the rear battery from the right to left side. I can't believe how much it needs to me trimmed up but still runs great.

thanks

tom

Latest posts

Back