Yearly Engine Maint.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordan Tremblay

Reaction score
I own a 2001 Nitro 896 with a 2001 Merc 200hp and I am looking to do a yearly check-up and maintenance on it and was wondering what you guys would suggest. I usually just take it to a local dealer and get the works, but I am looking to save a little money this year and want to do it myself. Can anyone give me any suggestion on what I should get done.

Weather is starting to warm up down here in Louisiana and Hunting Season is over so it is time to oil and grease the reels and get the boat ready. I also plan on doing a little bit of bearing maintenance...probably changing out the bearings.

Thanks in advance. I attached a photo of my boat in my home away from home during the summer...Toledo Bend Resevoir in northwest Louisiana.

100_0549.JPG

Personally, I'd continue to take it to a certified tech for maintenance. Now that your motor is out of warranty, it's even more important to make sure everything is done right and all bolts and fasteners are torqued back to proper spec. Trying to save money on maintenance is a gamble that could COST you a lot more in the long run if it's not done properly. Best way to save money is by backing off on the throttle (as hard as that is...trust me,..I know!!) and saving on the gas/oil bill...and NOT on the maintenance bill.

Just my opinion though.....but I know from past experience that outboards cost a LOT to fix!!:eek::blink: I'd leave the maintenance to the tech's and look to "save" in other areas.

Thanks for the advice. I will take it somewhere.

I used to take it to a mechanic that I trusted but he went out of business so now I am going to have to search someone out in Baton Rouge, LA to do the work for me. There is the local Bass Pro here, which is where I bought the boat from...but haven't been too pleased with their service.

So if I were to bring it to a mechanic and want to make sure I am not getting "screwed" and taken for a ride, what should I specifically do to the boat to make sure that everything gets done for a annual preventative maintenance check-up and service?

One thing you can do for sure is change the lower unit fluid. It is a piece of cake, you can go to the Merc site for directions. Just use new screw gaskets when you replace the screws.

Take it to a trusted merc. dealer. If you do do it yourself, I would

Change LU lube

new water pump impeller

fuel filter

check plugs and wires

fuel/water seperator

may be more also.......

Adding to above post . Change the check valve from the oil pump. Check the clear plastic tubing coming from the check valve, make sure it is not brittle. If you have a little mechanical ability, you can do all this with no problems. I live not far from you, on the Westbank of New Orleans. If you need any help or advise let me know. I will walk you thru this tune up.

Bubby:)

Bubby,

Westbank? Where on the Westbank? The missuz used to live real close to the Harvey canal right next to the Expressway, between Manson and Farrington. I made many a journey to her apartment over the GNO or Huey P. bridges from my place in Kenner.

Then we moved to St. Louis.

We miss the food, and our friends.

I have an almost exact copy of your boat. Mine is also a 2001 and has a white cap instead of the burgandy flake. :wub:

Image026a.jpg

Gene

Gene, nice to see we have the same boat. How do you like it? Are you the original owner and has she stood up well to the fishing abuse?

Mine has done great. We purchased her in 2001 from Bass Pro Shop in Bosier City, LA and she has been doing great for us ever since. We have never had a problem with our Mercury and have been pleased with both the power and performance.

I also looked at your member library and it looks like we also have some other things in common. This is only my second year getting into hunting so I am still a little new, but I shot this young buck this year...it was my first buck. Can't wait for next year.

IMG_0510.JPG

MOFish, I live in Marrero. I love it here, great fishing. If you ever get back in the area, look me up.

Bubby:)

I love the boat and I too, bought it at BPS. I have had a couple issues but they were minor. The engine timing was off a couple times and the hose to the bottom of the livewell came off. That was the worse thing, it was a pain to get to and fix! Thank God for bilge pumps! :wub: I think Bill in VA has a very similar boat too. I have a friend with an 882 that looks like my 896 except he has burgandy seats. I love this color combination. Are you a guitar player too? The one in my library is one I built from scratch.

Congrats on your frst buck. Hopefully many more to follow. :)

Gene

Gene and Jordan - I too, have the 896 in an '02 with a 200 XR6 on the back. Never had any real major problems although I did have the carbs rebuilt and the fuel pump diaphragm replaced. Great boat! Same color scheme as yours except mine has the burgundy seats and grey carpeting. Bought new from a local dealer in '02. Just replaced the four batteries (Interstates) last year.

Thanks for the info guys.

Mine is a 2001 and we bought it brand new in 2001. We only had to replace the trolling motor batteries last year and the crank battery finally started getting "cranky" so we changed it as a precaution about 3 weeks ago. I will tak that kind of battery life any day.

No major problems here. We have had some minor problems with the electrical, like the small flip lights on the console not working, had to replace the depthfinder because a cheap one came with it and broke and some minor problems with the compartment latching system. But other than that, she has been a perfect boat. Never stranded us and she starts up every time...reguardless of weather or length of time since last use.

Sorry Gene, not a guitar player. Wish I could, but never got into it. Fishing and hunting take up enough of my time as it is!

So I got a list of things to request at the boat dealer to work on...Please let me know if I am missing anything for a yearly maint checkup

1. Service the lower unit. (oil etc...)

2. Check one or two spark plugs to see how they are burning and if needed replace them.

3. Replace the water fuel seperator, if you have one.

4.Possibly replace water pump-- I have a good friend that owns a mercury shop and he recommends replacing the water pump every two years to keep the psi correct.

5. Clean or replace fuel filter under cowling.

6. Check belt to ensure its not getting cracked.

Gene, a few years ago I decided to take off the two front rollers that were on the trailer support near the front of the boat because they were doing nothing. In fact, a few times, they even scratched the bottom of my boat because the rollers were not big enough for the support that they were on. And when my boat was on the trailer, the support rollers would not even be touching the boat, even when pulled all the way forward so I decided to take the rollers and then support beam off of the trailer completely. I don't find that there is any change in the support b/c the boat didn't touch them anyway. I circled the part I am talking about below. Is this part vitally important? Should I looke into getting larger rollers and put it back on? It was just causing more trouble than anything.

Image026a.jpg

Back