XR6 Running to High RPM's according to Tach

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Greco

Reaction score
The last few times I have taken my Tr-186 out the Tach is reading as high as 6200 RPMs. THe motor does not sound any different and speed has not increased. Also the prop has not been damaged. I cannot figure out what is causing it read so high. Previously It had ben reading about 5800 at WOT. Is it my tach or something more serious. Thanks in advance for your help.

Al,

If you think it may be your tach,let me know.I have a spare working one I can send you to try before you buy a new one.

I spent $80 on a new one,,and it wasn't the problem,so I just kept it and still have the old one.

Steve

When it does that, smack the tach. See if it goes down to normal. I have a 40hp that was turning 5900+ (should hit 5500) with a 13p, so I bought a 17p off Ebay. Lugs bad under 5000 rpms. Put old prop back on, 5500... then later 5900 again, one tap and back to 5500. Dangit.

I didn't install a tranducer and have done no modifications to the boat at all. What happens if the Stator goes bad? My old Nitro had the same thing happen to it and I never had any motor problems other than a wacky gauge.

Seems to be a catchy trend. I just posted similarly a couple of days ago. My tach used to top out at 5200 and is now up to 5600. I've not changed a thing, the prop has not been damaged, the top speed is the same. I was told that some of the tachs may have a switch on the back so different cylinder count can be selected and I'll look for that next time I get a chance.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Weather and elevation will also effect engine operation? Water temp/density will also have an effect. If mph has not changed I would look for loose or bad connections first, smack mode 2nd, ignore 3rd, replace if it bothers you.

BF

Back