nitro 882 set up qestions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason layfield

Reaction score
Hi all!

I read quite a bit on your forums about proper pitch, pad to prop mesurements, etc... about the 882.

I have a 2005 882 with a 150XR6, stock nonadjustable jack plate, and 23p tempest plus prop.

My issue is i am over-reaving at WOT. I am getting 60 MPH GPS at 6000 rpm. I at first thought my tach was wrong but at 6000 to 6100 i hit the rev limiter. I back off of WOT to run about 5800 RPM. But i saw(correct me if im wrong) that for the XR6 the max RPM range should be 5000-5500. Going on mercury prop finder its telling me to run a 24 to 26 pitch tempest plus. Any recomendations?

I do not know the exact pad to prop shaft mersurements, but i assume the motor is mounted in the stock location. There is no sign that it has been raised/lowered

I have a friend with a 25p tempest plus. He will let me try it, but if that corrects my WOT issues then im scared it will make an even worse hole shot.

additional info;

WOT 6100, 60-61 MPH GPS, Trimmed all the way up, Water pressure ummm i think around 15 to 20 psi.

when taking off, motor trimmed ALL the way down, RPM in the 2500-3000 range.

All three exaust ports, plugs, thingies are in place 3/8"

All the speeds and hole shot are in referance to full tank of gas and full live wells, two people, all tackle in front compartments.

Im really curios to what other people have set this boat up using. Thank you all.

Hello,

Dont know if this wil help, but I also have a 2005 nx 882 with a 150 merc xr6. Have the 23 p tempest plus prop. I am getting around 63 to 64 (gps)mph at 5800 rpm. Have a fixed set back plate also. Motor is in top hole. This gives me 3 1/2" motor to pad difference. This is how I purchased this from a guy. I pretty sure he set it up right. Runs good, only problem I have is hole shot at times. I found I have to tuck the motor all the way under and it works fine now, trim it a little past vertical after plane and water pressure good etc.

I had an '04 NX882DC with the 150 EFI. I ran a 23 Tempest (not Tempest plus). I installed a hydrofoil and it made 100% difference from day 1. Tuck motor under, accelerate and trim up, and i was up and gone in a matter of seconds. I know people say a hydrofoil is just a bandaid for the problem but the 882 is a very heavy boat in the rear and the hydrofoil worked excellent for me. Good luck.

The holeshot is always going to be a little slow with a full well, full fuel and two guys. That applies to any bassboat.

Measure the prop to pad and see where it is. If you are at 3" or higher you are good to go.

From the speeds and rpm you mention it sounds like your prop is slipping a lot at wide open. It makes me wonder if it has ever been repaired and done improperly. You may want to try another 23 tempest if you can find one and see what that does, if it brings your rpm in check then you need to address the prop. If not then you can send your prop off to a custom shop like DAH and have them add some cup to bring the rpm down on the top end.

When i had my 882 i ran a DAH blueprinted 23 tempest and it could run about 63 at 5800 rpm which wile a little higher then the sticker on the motor says my motor never complained in all the years i ran it that way. With the pluerinted prop i also had a much better holeshot over the stock prop.

i'M confused.

if you are useing the top hole of the motor mount wich i assume thats what you mean,

what hole in the factory set back are you bolting through? there are a few?

is this full on fuel tackle anglers?

do your trim rods have extenders? because i can only get 5500-5600 rpm and 60-61mph but trim extenders would explain the 300 rpms.

can you trim your motor so it throughs a rooster tail? the limit of my trim will not allow me to.

but i do know for a FACT that the tempest 23"pitch is the correct prop for this rig.

p.s. takesonfishing if you want to be kind to that motor dont run at that kind of rpm on a regular basis. but i am curious how you are able to get it to rev that high?

not that i would change mine because i love the way it handles all diffrent kinds of water, chop ,heavy waves, glassy mornings, i never lose the bite with my prop with my current set up. and if you ask me that is the safest and best way to run a boat.

Joe, if you are talking to me, i am not much in the way of boat set ups etc, still learning. but, the motor is mounted to the top hole in the set back plate, it was moved at one time because i can see the marks left in the 2nd set of holes. Yes, i can most definately throw a rooster tail. however when i do this i can also see my water pressure go down about 50% so I dont like to do that, also lose some speed when i do that. the 64 mph was just me in the boat but the rpm was around 5800. As far as trim extenders, i couldnt tell you if i have them or not lol,but if you tell me how to measure them i will check it out.

Thanks jim

jim,

i'm happy you responded i would like to compare your setup with the one i currently run.

what i need to know is what hole on your motor bracket AND what hole on the setback.

they both have muptiple holes.

as far as trim extenders you would be able to tell they are just caps that go over your

hyd piston rods.

i'm also running the tempest 23" and wondering if i'm just a hole off of achiving the best possible proformance?

Joe,

When i had my 882 i ran mine in as high up as i could get it on the stock plate. So top hole on the plate and the bottom holes on the motor. I also ran a worked tempest on mine and it ran fantastic.

jim,

thanks i'm not sure if i'm gona make any changes because it drives so nice now.

but i always like to know what everyone else i doing with this boat motor combo.

be well

Latest posts

Back