Wiring question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Feist

Reaction score
I have a 98 PT175. Last year, my original factory trolling motor stopped working. I replaced the motor. I had just purchased a new trolling battery about a month before the motor died last year. The last few tournaments, tt seems as if my battery is going dead quickly. I let my old trolling motor lying around and sent it for repairs so I would have a spare a few weeks ago. Well, they finally got around to looking at the old motor and there is nothing wrong with it. I'm suspecting that my 1 1/2 year old battery is junk. There are two wires running from the leads on my troilling battery. What other than the trolling motor should be connected there? The reason that I am asking this is because my livewell aereator is working fine and I haven't noticed anything else "not" working.

Brian,

The only thing connected to trolling motor batteries are usually trolling motors. If the battery is draining, there might be a short in your system somewhere. There a number of quick tests for that.

Disconnect one of the leads from the battery and putt a 12V light in line. If it lights up, you have a short down stream. If not a short, then something else may be wired in somewhere along the way.

I hope this helps.

Mike

BRIAN:

BELIEVE IT OR NOT, I HAVE A 1998 PT 185 WITH A 24 VOLT TROLLING MOTOR ON THE BOW (NOT ORIGINAL). I COMPLETELY REBUILT MY BOAT OVER THE WINTER AND FOUND SOME REALLY STUPID SET UPS. MY BOW LIGHT WAS POWERED BY MY TROLLING MOTOR BATTERY (REMEMBER, CAME WITH 12 VOLT TROLLING MOTOR) AND THE GROUND WAS ATTACHED TO THE BOAT, (not a good idea). THE ORIGINAL OWNER HAD A AUTO BILGE PUMP INSTALLED WITH THE SWITCH BELOW THE PUMP. THE SWITCH WOULD CAUSE THE MOTOR TO RUN WITHOUT ANY WATER AT THE PUMP. I NOW CARRY 4 BATTERIES IN MY BOAT. ONE CRANKING BATTERY, TWO TROLLING MOTOR BATTERIES, AND A MOTORCYCLE BATTERY FOR MY ELECTRONICS (ALL SEPERATE SYSTEMS).

MIKE

Latest posts

Back