Li Battery Questions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am considering going to lithium batteries for my trolling motor.

Is a 24v battery better than two 12v in series?

How is the charge length? Do they last longer than lead acid?

How different are they from using lead acid? I heard they should not be charged as frequently. How are they different to maintain, charge than lead acid?

How has your experience been going from lead to lithium?

Is there any brands you would recommend? Some to stay away from.

No, not better=same for the motor, but need a special charger for a 24 V.

About 1/2 the charge time of LA. Yes longer run time since the voltage doesn't drop much until it's almost depleted. About double the run time.

Do a web search about LiFePO4 marine batteries, ignore the "I heard". Zero "maintenance", just charge them and use them. Do not have to charge them immediately after use, can do it just before you go next time. Minnkota does not recommend them to be used at 80%+ trolling motor speed.

Been using them for several years==light weight, fast charging, long running, 0 maintenance.

Most are pretty much the same==made in China with different labels on them. The ones that sponsor pro anglers typically have the highest price, they sell themselves via reputation don't need to help pay the pros to advertise them.
Look at the videos done by Will Prowse, he takes them apart to check the quality and performance.

Lithium is the way to go! Like last post said, they are lighter provide power for a longer period of time. You must use the charger that comes with battery. My friend just bought a LifePO4 24v. For his trolling motor, has bluetooth, seems pretty sweet. I personally have been using Dakota lithium batteries(3) for the past 3-4 years. No problems, great power, super light.

I am considering going to lithium batteries for my trolling motor.

Is a 24v battery better than two 12v in series?

How is the charge length? Do they last longer than lead acid?

How different are they from using lead acid? I heard they should not be charged as frequently. How are they different to maintain, charge than lead acid?

How has your experience been going from lead to lithium?

Is there any brands you would recommend? Some to stay away from.
Lithiums are comprised of smaller 4.2 volt cells hooked in series and parallel to make batteries with the nominal rating of 12-24-36-48 volts. The internal Battery Managment System (BMS) assures that each cell is given the correct maximum charge. If the battery is a 24 volt you will need a charger that can deliver 24 volt charge, many chargers have the ability to charge at different voltages (mostly for marine yacht chargers made for lithiums and they come with a hefty price tag.). Regular chargers that don't have a separate lithium setting will never charge a lithium to its full charge at 14.7 volts, NoCo makes chargers that have settings for 6V, 12V, 12 V AGM and 12 V lithium. Regular lead acid deep cycle batteries in parallel have a problem when charging most people do not realize, each battery receives a different charge due to resistance from the 1st battery to the second battery and so on to a third battery when hooked to a single charger. Therefore, to charge two or more batteries in parallel requires you to purchase a charger that has separate banks for each battery. The same applies to a series setup. I have my 3 left over deep cycles in my garage for my hot wire foam saw, but only charge them one at a time just switching them every four days during the winter to account for normal cold weather discharge. I left my lithiums in my boat over this winter at temps down to 30 below zero for over 3 months and lost only about 0.4V from fully charged, I am truly impressed. I did need to pull my AGM to store in my home and put it on a maintainer. What I like most about just using 12V lithiums is they only weigh 25 lbs. each and in a small bassboat battery compartment they are easy to get at and easy to lift out. My Nitro Z19 had the AGM way in the right corner of the stern and it weighed about 75 lbs. I moved it to a better place when I added my fourth lithium for a separate electronics wiring setup. I did this when I discovered that I couldn't start my 200 ProXS over when the AGM was at 11.5 V because I had the stereo on all day working on some new add-ons in the driveway. Although I have two battery switches that I could use to add more juice to the AGM I also always carry my jump starter in case someone needs a jump as it takes up less space than cables and cost just a little more than good cables.

Latest posts

Back