Winnisquam

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Duggan

Reaction score
Jim B And Bill,

went to Winnisquam today, the water warmed up to 59/60f. The smallies are ON!

3 of us fished from 7:30 to 4:00 the average weight was no less than2.5 to 3lbs. All in all we caught 30>40 fish. A lot of the beds had 2 fish on them. It was an awesome day today. only saw 1 other boat fishing other than a few guys looking for trout.

the temps in the back water/canal was 63>66f. lots of small large mouth cruising around.

hope to find the same results at Sunappee Saturday.

GregD

That's great I am going back on Saturday and Sunday. Have fun at Sunappee.

Bill, the MadKayaker

I plan to be there tomorrow. Ill see you up there Bill.

Jim B - Not to interject, but wanted to say we're still thinking and praying for Dad. Have a great and relaxing day on the pond! :)

Looking forward to seeing you Jim! I will be there by about 7:30 - 8:00. I will have two other boats from my club going also.

See you around the islands. Bill, the MadKayaker

Dan, thanks for the thought's. Hes really doing well with the radiation and chemo and study drug. He feels and looks great and other then his vision he's doing good so far. He is fighting the good fight for sure. I wanted to take him with me tomorrow but he is showing one of his dogs tomorrow so he cant go. We are going to try to get up there next weekend for sure.

Hey Mike,

you'll be right in time. they just moved up on the beds mid last week. be sure to give Newfound a shot this year. they should be in full swing when you're here.

I hit Sunapee Saturday, not as hot as Winnisquam. water was a little cooler (56f) in the morn. found the secluded coves were 59/60 and pretty active. largest smallie was only 3.6lbs, not to bad but not as big as i would have liked. Thursday's full moon should really fire things up.

Jim and Bill,

how did you guys do Saturday? where are you guys going to be this coming weekend? i have no plans so if to want to meet up let me know.

GregD

Teri,

its a ball. it only last a couple weeks then they will be running for deep cover and the real work will begin.

Not sure if you have smallies in your part of the world. if not, make a trip to the north east and we'll show you a good time.

GregD

Hey Greg - saw Jim briefly on Saturday around the island - all I can say is what a nice boat Jim has!

All-in-all, over the course of four days, my friends that were in just my boat alone caught over 110 smallies (averaging about 25 - 30 each day) - average size at least 2 lbs and quite a lot of 3-plus lb'ers and two 4 lb'ers. I felt like I was Lamar but in the smallmouth way although I have yet to catch one there larger than 5 lbs and am going to make that my goal next year. The largemouth cove was not too productive and didn't even bother to make the run there today.

Today was my last day and the ramp was a zoo and the lot was fully loaded.

I am going to work on my "fishing bucket list" for later this week since I checked off the annual smallmouth run at Winnisquam. If I can find the right window and the stars are aligned, I am thinking of hopping on an airplane to a secret place to try my hand at fly fishing before Memorial Day. If I do and catch "something", I will post it next week.

The latter part of next weekend I am headed to upstate NY for some largemouth bass fun.

We are definitely going to have to hook up at Bow Lake or some other place in NH this summer! Have fun wherever you end up fishing this coming weekend.

Bill, the MadKayaker

Bill,

If you want the best shot at that 5lb smallie in NE you NEED to hit Newfound lake this weekend, next weekend and around the middle of June for the post spawn onslaught. That place the average fish is a 3 pounder, its fantastic.

Sat was pretty good on Winnisquam. My friend Jimmy and I hammered them all day. We lost count after about 10am. We spent more time fishing the drop off with stickbaits and spinnerbaits catching the prespawn bass then we did on the beds. Once the sun came out and the wind kicked it was like a lightswitch got turned on and they were on fire.

Jim - I am back in town the weekend after this weekend - on my quest for checking off a fishing bucket list item and hopefully will have accomplished it by end of week.

Let me know if you are heading up to newfound lake on June 5th or 6th as I would love to get the inside track from you! I would have to say that I am winnisquam'd out after fishing there for 4 days.

I kind of figured you were fishing drop-offs on Saturday.

Anyway, it would be great to see you there as I have a real chip on my shoulder with newfound lake as I have fished it in the heat of the summer with very limited success. I will treat you to lunch at the cafe across from the sand bar. Maybe we can get GregD to go as well?!!!

Bill, the MadKayaker

Hey guys,

Newfound for June 5 is already penciled in. That is by far the best large smallie producer i have ever fished!

I planned on being there on Saturday, if that doesn't work for you guys i will change my plans and go Sunday.

Keep in touch and see you there.

GregD

Greg - I can be there on June 5th and if it looks good may go June 6th as well! Jim - can oyu be there on one of those days?

Bill, the MadKayaker

I may be able to make the 5th. I'm not 100% sure yet it all depends on if my dad needs me to do anything for him. Count me in but i may have to bail last minute.

hey guys hope all the stars and planets line up for Saturday.

if we make it there and the 5lbers are still on beds it will be a day for for the record books.

I will post later this week, we can catch up then and try to hook up at the ramp.

GregD

Greg, Jim - unless it turns into a real thunder shower with lightening, I will be there on Saturday!

Bill,, the MadKayaker

Latest posts

Back