1. Welcome to Nitro & Tracker Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

White Oxidiation

Thread in 'General Discussion' started by Mike Grandick, Sep 29, 2011.

1. fatrap

fatrap Well-Known Member

I've got some oxidation problems on the pedestal base on my drivers side seat. White powdery stuff looks like battery acid where the carpet meets the metal on the pedestal base. The aluminum base is actually etched. Only half the base is affected. Cleaned it up with some 409 but what the???? Anyone help me out? Gonna ask the Tracker guys when I go to work in a few minutes but am not expecting them to have any idea.

BTW the boat is a 07 Tracker Tundra.:(

fatrap

2. TritonGlenn

TritonGlenn Well-Known Member

Bi-Metallic (Galvanic) corrosion. You have an aluminum base being held down with stainless steel screws. It happens when those two metals are exposed to a conducting corrosive liquid (saltwater, brackish water, sweat, etc... - it could be as simple as the salt from a soft plastic worm combined with fresh water from the lake made "saltwater" and landed on the surface) Basically, it created a type of weak battery. Current flows from the anode (aluminum) to the cathode (stainless steel), which increases corrosion on the anode (aluminum). Just keep it clean.

All the best,

Glenn

3. Bruce Freeman

Bruce Freeman Well-Known Member

Baking soda and water. Then rinse well.

BF

4. fatrap

fatrap Well-Known Member

Thats probably exactly what it is. Arm and Hammer on the way. Thanks guys.

fatrap

5. Kevin Barbieri

Kevin Barbieri Well-Known Member

I know this is an old post but did it work? I have the same issue with my Swivl-Eze wedge bases that I just replaced less than a year ago when I put in marine vinyl. I take the seats out of the base because in the past they became stuck in there and mistakenly they were placed over the bases. Moisture turned the bases black and also some white oxidation developed.