Which portable gps and why

• Thread starter Mike Schlottfeld
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Schlottfeld

Reaction score
Ok so I decided I want to get a gps to take with me on my fishing trips.

I have two units in mind so far.

They are the garmin gpsmap 76s and the magellan meridian platinum.

I am open for other suggestions

one limit though max price 500.

it does not have to be hand held.

I would also like some feedback on the fishing hot spots cd rom.

This unit will mostly be used on the water in south carolina.

Last week I picked up a Magellan Sportrak Map as a starter unit . After playing with it so far I know its going to be helpfull for finding my way back to underwater , non- obvious rockpiles and brushpiles after I mark them the first time, without having todrive all over the lake to try and find them again...Its hasn't been too hard use as I sam still learning, and uploading maps was quite easy. After comparing brands I liked the Magellan and so far it was a good choice.

Check out the Garmin GPSmap 162...it is not handheld but they have been selling them this year for right at 500 with the fishing hot spots map for 1 region. I picked one up and it is easy to use and the mapping software is nice to have on the larger screen.

At first I was concerned because it had less memory than other units but I have 9 maps saved to it and still have some room.

--Corey

I have the GPSMap 76 (older model), and love it. I also have the fishing hot spots maps that I use. Do a search on GPSMap 76 and you'll find a pretty thorough discussion of different ones already posted.

IF I had more money to spend, I would consider getting a portable that has replaceable 'map memory cards' in it. But for what I paid (plus FHSpots maps), I'm very pleased. If you get one, get the dashboard 'sand filled' base. I use it both in my car and on the boat. Just now mounting a RAM unit on the new boat.

Let me know if you have additional questions or can't find enough already posted.

Tex

I've got a garmin CX12, it's a hand-held which I have mounted. LOVE IT. I use it a lot more than I ever thought I would, even on my home lakes. Garmin has been a GREAT company to deal with. I had a problem when I drove out of the parking lot and left it sitting on my boat bow when it rolled fifty foot dow the parking lot. THEY REPLACED IT FREE OF CHARGE!!!! THEY EVEN TRANSFERD OVER ALL MY WAYPOINTS.

I have a Garmin gps III+ and i really like it. Take a look at the gps 5 as it is the gps III replacement. From what i can tell its pretty much the same as the others mentioned here features wise. The reason i got the GPS III was the case design. I can just put it on the dash in the car and i have the ram mount for the boat and it fits perfect where i put it, I can take a picture of you want. I have had mine for 4 years now and its worked flawlessly, i use it all the time.

I use the basic E-Trex on my boat only because it is small and multi tasking.. No map but, to find your way home on new water (St Claire 2 yrs ago) Kerr and Anna this year and finding spots I marked during last years drought it's OK. It also is great for finding spots again when medal detecting.

Nice when hiking,biking or hunting new area's.

BF

iFinder.....MMC, Map Create and Navionics compatable. I tell people its just like an x15.....I know I have one!

Mini

Hey Mike,

I can't help you choose your GPS but I have 3 (2 brand new) and I love them all. The one I am selling is just the oldest one (still excellent condition)good deal too, stuff I am adding in is $120. See swap and sell board "Garmin GPS III +"

Be glad to talk to you about it

Latest posts

Back