Which Minn Kota trolling motor?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
I was looking at the Bass Pro catalog during lunch today, and I saw several Minn Kota trolling motors. My current boat has a 12V 55lb Powerdrive. I would like to upgrade to a 24V 80lb Minn Kota. They offer several different models of course with a price difference (Edge, Terrova, Maxxum, Powerdrive v2, Fortex). I had a 70lb Maxxum on my last Nitro and I really liked it. I've been looking to pick up a used one this last month and haven't seen any that people were willing to mail.

Do you have any recommendations? Is the Edge ok or should I upgrade to the others? I sorta like the idea of universal sonar because my transducer went with my last boat so I would have to buy one for my GPS anyway.

I've owned several Minn Kota Maxxums over the years, and will continue to put them on my boats for as long as they make them. I currently run a MK Maxxum Pro 80 US, and couldn't be happier. The "Pro" designation is applied to the models that have lift assist. I've been using the "US" (Universal Sonar) part for quite some time, but recently installed an external transducer due to a new Lowrance unit. I want to test the difference between my external and US sonar transducers, so I left the cables for both run behind the new unit. I'll do some testing to see which one I like the best, and leave the other installed for backup.

I haven't had the opportunity to test the Fortrex, and probably won't get around to it anytime soon. I think MK has the perfect bow mount, so I am unsure why they even built a new mount. Supposedly, it's stronger and quieter, but I don't see how that could be possible, as they already had hit a home-run with the Maxxum.

I've used the Edge on a friends boat. It's ok, but doesn't even compare to the Maxxum mount. For what I put a boat through, I just dont see the Edge holding up as well. I'd consider it a secondary pick based on available funds. Not a bad motor by any means, but after coming from a Maxxum, I think I'd be disappointed.

The Terrova is electric steer. Some like them. I have never cared for them on a tournament boat. I want cables - instant turning. I don't want to press a button and wait for it to get around to where I want it. Again - nothing wrong with them - different strokes for different folks. I simply don't care for electric steering. Too slow for my taste. Powerdrive V2 falls under this catagory too. If I had no choice except these, I'd go for the Terrova if I had the money.

So, in order of what I'd put on the boat (money not a factor):

Maxxum Pro (+US if you want it)

Maxxum (regular)

Fortrex (after I used one to verify I like it)

Edge

Any cable driven Motorguide :p

Terrova

Powerdrive V2

I'll look around for some motors for you too.

All the best,

Glenn

I agree with Glenn 100000% if theres a better trolling motor then the Maxxum series I have yet to see it.

PLease do not get the powerdrive. I made that bad choice and i regret it daily.

MAin reason: Cable managment of transducer. It's not good.

Good lUck

24V 80lb Minn Kota Pro Maxxum I would highly recommend. I have this unit and been running it for about a year and very happy with it. I would not go with the US according to all the articles I have read, it is much better to use the tranducer from your SONAR manufacture.

Teri, I have a ducer for and eagle ff in the shed if that is the brand you are running. If so post the model and I will see if it will work? Yours for the cost of shipping.

BF

I replaced the original on my 175pt with a Maxxum and could not be happier.

My Tundra came with a powerdrive. As a foot control cable guy for almost 35 years I hate it. Cables forever!!

fatrap

For those of us who have bad knees and don't like having to keep your foot on the control I went with the MK Maxxum 101 hand control front mount on my '02 896 Nitro. I love it. No more aching back or cramped leg(s). Can't go wrong with the Maxxum Mount but your pleasure on the thrust and controls. For me, the only way is the hand control.

I must say that when Bill Dance is using his front bow mounted "hand tiller" trolling motors, it just looks SO MUCH easier and less stressfull, i may have to do that one day..

But it may be a "sitting down" only type of fishing, so maybe not

Personally i dont like hand control at all. Even on my little pond boat i have a foot control motor. I have a minnkota foot control thats a transom mount that i bought like 12 years ago.

The Maxxum is no longer made but the Maxxum Pro is the same motor with the lift assist added. I just upgraded my Maxxum 101 with the lift assist for $288 and it is great. I have an external transducer so can't talk about the US. Everybody says the Fortrex is the future but I have no problem with my Maxxum as far as noise or sturdiness. If it was me, I'd go with the 80lb Pro model and call it good.

NoCAL

NoCal,

I have the Pro, but I had not heard about them doing away with the regular Maxxum. Their site still shows both being made. Where did you happen to hear that? It makes sense - as the Pro is popular motor and was only a little bit more than the regular anyway. I just had not heard that yet. The sales probably drove them to drop the regular Maxxum.

All the best,

Glenn

Teri I had a brain fart last night, it fits a Hummingbird, Sorry.

BF

NoCal,

Just called Minn Kota today to get info on their newest motors, and to ask them about the Maxxum Pro / Regular.

The new product line has the regular Maxxum, but not the Maxxum Pro. The Maxxum Pro (lift assist model) was replaced by the new motor - the Fortrex.

After discussing it with Minn Kota, I've decided to try the new one - I'm going to get a MK Fortrex 101 and sell off my Maxxum Pro 80 US.

Anyone want to buy a Maxxum in excellent condition - with extra propellers, etc...??? It's on the buy/sell page now. :D

All the best,

Glenn

Glen, I want it. Tell me the shipping to 37076 and how you want payment. Paypal or check or money order and your address. Thanks!

Glenn, just sent you an email. Can't believe you didn't just contact me. You knew I was in the market, Silly. Good thing I glanced at the board cuz I was pieved at work and needed a distraction.

Oh Ya, It's my birthday...got the motor...oh ya, It's my birthday! :p

Well, it feels like it's my birthday! Glad you came back to the board Mr. Glenn!

Teri,

Pleasure talking to you today. I hope you get tons of enjoyment out of it. It has served me well. I actually owe you a huge thanks. I had not thought about getting a new motor until I saw this post, and when I started looking into the Fortrex, I all of a sudden got the "itch" for something new. Thanks!

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn, glad I could make you spend lots of money so I could get a bargain. :p

Oh yeah... lots of money too. I started calculating it today - I need 3 new batteries now (I need to add an additional battery to the two I have - and it's not a good practice to mix old and new batteries - even if the old ones are going strong), and a new charger as well to accomodate the extra. Total cost of this upgrade is... Wow.... I think I just got sick.... :p

All the best,

Glenn

:lol::lol::lol:

Glenn, I was at the Sportsman's Expo in Jan and a Minnkota rep told me they were not going to make the Maxxum anymore. Sounds like he had the wrong info. I wish I could have got the Fortrex 101, they are just so cool looking but I can't justify it when my Maxxum works great. The addition of the lift assist makes it like a brand new motor.

NoCAL

I need to get a 3 bank charger now as well.

NoCal,

It happens sometimes. I've been given information by factory people before a show, and called on it by someone else that turns out to be right. They just talked to someone at the factory that knew more than the person I spoke to. That's one of the things I hate about speaking to customers about new product that you haven't had in your hands yet - All you can say is "I've been told ...". I hate having to do that. I'd much rather have used the product and be able to say "Well, in the two years I've tested it...." because then I have an informed experience to relate to them, instead of just having "info".

The Maxxum is a great motor. Up until a few days ago, I had never even considered replacing mine with something else. Luckily, Teri needed a motor. It's a great thing though - I get to test their newest motor while having more power onhand too. I'll make sure to post a review of it once I get it and put it through it's paces.

Teri - Update - My new motor is scheduled to be shipped next week. They are running about 4 working days from order date to shipping date, so I'm thinking Tuesday (14th) or Wednesday (15th) of the following week it should be here. After fishing this weekend, I'm going to remove the Maxxum and get it ready to ship, so that when mine comes in, yours goes right in the box and gets sent right away.

All the best,

Glenn

Latest posts

Back