What type of fish finder?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy Theys2

Reaction score
What type of fish finder do I need that will display the depth and speed when my boat is traveling around 40 mph? I have had smaller boats that never go faster than 22 mph and the typical sensors have no problem. I have a new boat that will go around 45 mph and need to know the depth at all times. I like the Lowrance line, but don't want to spend $500 on a fish finder when all I really need to know are the basics. I was looking at the X67C but don't know if the 200kHz skimmer transducer will do what I want. Anyone have any input???

Also, should I be scared to drill into the fiberglass hull to mount it, or get the one you epoxy inside the hull?

In my opinion most top of the line depth finders are great. I've used most of the the top of the line units and quite frankly I like them all. Some do some things better than others and only you are going to know from experience what works best for you. For the most part I use Lowrance or Humminbird. As for mounting transducers. I'm currently using a pair of Lowrances and have the skimmer transducer shooting through a glass hull and they do fine. I do have the speed and temp ducer mounted on the outside rear hull. No matter what you do, follow the instructions to the letter it will save some grief. I've had to remount a ducer that I didn't get the air bubbles out of the mounting process. No fun at all.

As for the speed sensors? Good for trolling and that about where the accuracy ends. When I'm running 45mph the depth finder is saying I'm doing 60.....I wish!!

Gps is a great add on if your into fishing different lakes or big ones and want to mark the good spots. I have three of them but here in Iowa even if you arrive at the lake at dawn you can find the best places with out gps. You just go where there's 25 bassboats sitting in one place. You get in line to fish it, take your number and wait.

fatrap

I moved from a 30mph boat to a 55mph boat, so I know what you mean! I have had amazing/excellent results with the new Humminbird Matrix and 787c2 products! my boat came from Rich with humminbird and eagle transducers in the bildge, I moved one to the trolling motor (new transducer) and mounted my Humminbird ducer off the hull, it keeps bottom up to my WOT at 54-55mph with no problem. I didn't want to put it in the bildge as the temp sensor is built into the ducer.

If you want a basic unit while running i'd say the one of the best deals anywhere is the new Humminbird 363c unit. Color, GPS build in with FREE, yes FREE built in basic maps for the entire US!!!!. Its not a huge screen, but an amazing value at $299 at BPS!

Ive got the x67c on a tournament v-18 with a 115 opti that does about 45mph, it works good at speed and I think gives a pretty accurate depth, not alot of detail until you slow down. but thats to be expected. whatever your choice spring for the color screen

Thanks guys, all good points. I don't care about losing detail so much as I want to know if the depth goes from 30 feet to 5 in the blink of an eye. As long as the finder doesn't cut out completely when going 45 I will be fine.

I think I'm just real scared as I am a new fiberglass boat owner. Already purchased a keelguard and it's never been on the water!

Always had aluminum boats and aren't real afraid of hitting a stump. With glass it's another story.

I just got the x-102c and it works great!!!! I'd psend the money, buts thats me, its well worth it

Back